BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Information Overload

Made a reference to this on the "Sky Scum" thread yesterday. Kids today must find the idea of only having 4 Tv channels unbelievable but in some ways it was actually better. Now I couldn't deal without the internet these days but I could deal without floods of pointless information. I've even stressed out a bit over who to follow on twitter and now I've decided to make it just Rovers fans (with only a few exceptions) as they are only ones I talk to anyway!

Lets talk about football too much fluff and no action with the same tired presentation format. I used to enjoy the talking (Keys and Gray on MNF for instance) back in the 90's but now I have little regard for it. I've decided to skip watching things like Sky Sports News or reading the endless stream of "experts" posting online or talking on Tv. I don't care anymore whether I feel embarrassed not knowing Norwich changed their manager until months later! I couldn't care less if Arsene Wenger is the first foreign manager to reach 100 FA Cup games. Seriously where the hell do people look for this trivial information? I'm just going to watch live games now and if I miss MOTD highlights from time to time i don't care!!! I don't care about reading what someone likes for breakfast on facebook/twitter pointless information needs to be filtered out.

This is something we will hear about more and more. We are indeed in the age of information overload.

Here's the wikipedia page and there's some good articles on the internet too.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Information_overload

at least twitter seems to be on its arse now, most normal sensible folk are turning away from it and leaving it to the weirdos and attention seekers and facebook has been a pretty benign place for a few years, Facebook though can serve a great purpose and their are some very good groups ect. on it, but twitter has nothing to offer to society at all other than grieve.

god knows what new thing 'the kids' are using these days and I'm in no rush to find out(although Tinder springs to mind and that app/site is a effin disgrace to humanity)

Tj, how typical of the human race to see something we don't understand as "nothing to offer society".

Both websites are essentially the same form of social media with both good and bad. The difference, Facebook is personal profiles, twitter is micro blogging - therefore more useful for following news. Also the functions of friending or following is the same, therefore your experience is dependent on your own choice.

The problem isn't one or a certain social media, it's the whole platform of giving everybody a voice. Some people simply cannot handle that responsibility!

twitter's mainly for attention seekers(yes Abby of which there are many) and it doesn't offer anything useful that you cant find elsewhere on the web and without the bs, facebook is used as a base for many great local charities(animal rescues in particular) and their are some incredible little communities amongst the 'groups' that seem to have taken the place of forums(maybe because they're easier to moderate and cheaper to run)

• Moderation Lead

Social media is pretty much mostly attention seeking to be fair. So many people showing off on it all the time.

When in reality, they're just showing off a highlight reel of their life...

twitter's mainly for attention seekers(yes Abby of which there are many) and it doesn't offer anything useful that you cant find elsewhere on the web and without the bs, facebook is used as a base for many great local charities(animal rescues in particular) and their are some incredible little communities amongst the 'groups' that seem to have taken the place of forums(maybe because they're easier to moderate and cheaper to run)

Those first 5 words Hahahaha Hahahaha Hahahaha

Im crying laughing

Twitter is very good for news, especially when you dont follow one of the media darling clubs.

Yes theres lots of bs on there, but its pretty easy to tell who is worthwhile listening to.

Facebook is good at keeping in contact with mates who you don't see very often, I have mates from uni all over the world, so its nice to see an occasional update, without needing to try and arrange a phone call etc.

As with anything in life, it's how you use it that makes the difference.

Anyway back to rants....those people who wait for the green light before selecting a gear, and beginning to set off....meaning only 3 or 4 cars get through, when it should easily be 6 or 7.

Personally i could live quite happily without any of them,

Baz you've pointed out one of the things i really really dislike about Facebook, like you say a lot of users(most) use it to nosy around the lives of people they knew years ago but now barely if at all have anything to do with them, if you really cared about these past friends, distant relatives etc.. Would it really be so difficult to get in touch with them in person or at least over the phone or even skype(even a hand written letter would be more thoughtful than a glib comments on facebook) and have a meaningful 1to1 conversation with them if they mean/meant so much to you.

• Moderation Lead

Personally i could live quite happily without any of them,

Baz you've pointed out one of the things i really really dislike about Facebook, like you say a lot of users(most) use it to nosy around the lives of people they knew years ago but now barely if at all have anything to do with them, if you really cared about these past friends, distant relatives etc.. Would it really be so difficult to get in touch with them in person or at least over the phone or even skype(even a hand written letter would be more thoughtful than a glib comments on facebook) and have a meaningful 1to1 conversation with them if they mean/meant so much to you.

Bit rudely worded wouldn't you say TJ? You can't be sure how much people mean to others!

I see where Baz is coming from, it's easy to digest what lots of people are doing on a news feed, and nicely streamlined. It's just at times, you need to be able to sift through a load of rubbish first. People sharing just about everything can be very irritating!

Using Facebook as an example, people can end up feeling very down about their own lives.

'wow look at Joe Bloggs, out again... doesn't he have lots of friends... wow on holiday again'

But it is just a snapshot, their lives could well be miserable and are over-compensating by whacking everything they do on Facebook.

• Moderation Lead

I've read that is a common thing these days Matty. The best example is what 'er indoors refers to as a 'showmance' when people plaster how in love they are on facebook, as you say, to over-compensate. Let's be honest, people will rarely update their facebook for the bad things!

Bit rudely worded wouldn't you say TJ? You can't be sure how much people mean to others!

I see where Baz is coming from, it's easy to digest what lots of people are doing on a news feed, and nicely streamlined. It's just at times, you need to be able to sift through a load of rubbish first. People sharing just about everything can be very irritating!

I stay in touch with my cousins in the USA and my brother in oz all the time via facebook ...ITS ABSOLUTLY AMAZING FOR THIS .

TJ it really has nothing whatsoever to do with you how people communicate. has it .

:wacko::wacko::wstu:

Pretty good is twitter for keeping up with current events. During the recent Paris attacks I was hearing what was going on pretty much as it happened. As I watched the beeb news channel it was obvious it was 25 minutes behind and to cap it all it was quoting twitter posts!

Pretty good is twitter for keeping up with current events. During the recent Paris attacks I was hearing what was going on pretty much as it happened. As I watched the beeb news channel it was obvious it was 25 minutes behind and to cap it all it was quoting twitter posts!

Well its certainly better for breaking news than sitting in front of a 24 hour stream. I'm not watching stuff like SSN again don't care if I miss loads of mainly pointless stories because of it. I wasn't joking earlier about not knowing Norwich had a new manager for months. Felt a bit embarrassed about not knowing (and I couldn't care less about Norwich) but after thinking about it more why should I even care? Didn't watch the UEFA Cup games last night but so what if I don't know who scored for Liverpool, United, etc? Couldn't even remember if Tottenham were still in it until looking through the scores. So what if I miss MOTD quite a lot? Hardly watch Barcelona, Real Madrid, etc at all but things like how good Messi's current form is really isn't important to me.

Archived