BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Getting Your Euros

I quite agree. I have never understood why we haven't adopted the Euro over the years like Germany, France or Spain. We seem to have had one foot in and one foot out so to speak.

Quite ironic that the government will fine market traders for quoting weights in lbs and oz instead of kilos but as a nation we still use miles instead of kilometres and all the signage that goes with it.

And long may it be. We are British not French or German. It is ridiculous that market traders can be fined for using Imperial weights and I thought that that stupidity had been stopped.

And long may it be. We are British not French or German.

The Germans are German and the French are French but they have changed to the Euro. As a member of the EU we seem to have been playing at it. To me, we either embrace it and go in fully or get out. Even if the referendum vote is to stay in, Cameron has said we'll maintain sterling. Why? I'm not pro in (or out for that matter) but just don't understand the lack of full commitment by the Uk to date.

The Germans are German and the French are French but they have changed to the Euro. As a member of the EU we seem to have been playing at it. To me, we either embrace it and go in fully or get out. Even if the referendum vote is to stay in, Cameron has said we'll maintain sterling. Why? I'm not pro in (or out for that matter) but just don't understand the lack of full commitment by the Uk to date.

Let's get out and have done with it. I'm British not European.

• 2 weeks later...

I go to Bruges a minimum of 4 times a year. I have always found, surprisingly, that Tesco's often give a good rate of excchange.

I always buy in Batches of £500 as the rate then gets better. Any I have left over, I never cash in. I just get anther £500 worth f Euros.

Of course it could be a coincidence that at the time I am about to make a trip, the rate is good.

I quite agree. I have never understood why we haven't adopted the Euro over the years like Germany, France or Spain. We seem to have had one foot in and one foot out so to speak.

Quite ironic that the government will fine market traders for quoting weights in lbs and oz instead of kilos but as a nation we still use miles instead of kilometres and all the signage that goes with it.

Not joining the euro was one of the best things we ever did. Having a group of widely different autonomous countries sharing a currency is insane. A few weak or badly governed countries can destroy the currency and there is little the other memebers can do (as we have seen in Greece). If you have currency union you need a very strong political union also, so the federal state can effectively intervene in failing parts of the currency area.

In my mind the EU should have persisted without the Euro and focussed instead on how to progress politically in a transparent and democratic fashion, and only looked for a currency union once in a fit state to implement it.

• 2 weeks later...

Getting them before the vote .. Next question ... Anyone been to Zante recently? Is it easy to still use pre paid card or just take cash ?

The best rates I find are on Ainsworth street Abbey. Check out the two money lenders as they always seem to have the best rates in town though Thomas Cook will generally match their rates providing you quote the best rate on the day .

Its up to you, but I'd be surprised if the rate didn't get better after the EU vote, the value of sterling has dropped in recent months, and is primarily due to the uncertainty around the vote.

Could hedge your bets and get half now and half after?

• 3 months later...

Archived