BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Getting Your Euros

I'm no expert and cannot offer financial advice at all, but aren't there fears that the pound will weaken closer to the referendum over fears of an exit. Which means it would be better changing money now.

But who knows what will happen, which to be fair, was TJ's point.

• Backroom

Buying currency is a nightmare you never know when is best and I tend to buy at the worse time.

I usually take some cash bought in intervals and then a Halifax clarity card for the rest

About 12 months ago would have been the best time. Now the exchange rate will be tied up with the referendum until June. Conventional theory would say that the pound would strengthen a bit if the UK decides to stay in the EU. It might go the other way if we vote to leave, but I suspect much of that downside is already in the current rate. I think if I was travelling after the referendum I would leave it until after then but who knows - it could go either way.

TJ's advice is OK, but even better is to get a Euro currency card. Load some euros on to it before you go and then just use the card either for cash or purchases, in both cases without any fees.

About 12 months ago would have been the best time. Now the exchange rate will be tied up with the referendum until June. Conventional theory would say that the pound would strengthen a bit if the UK decides to stay in the EU. It might go the other way if we vote to leave, but I suspect much of that downside is already in the current rate. I think if I was travelling after the referendum I would leave it until after then but who knows - it could go either way.

TJ's advice is OK, but even better is to get a Euro currency card. Load some euros on to it before you go and then just use the card either for cash or purchases, in both cases without any fees.

Getting a pre paid card .

I usually find that Althams in Accrington or Co-op travel (Thomas Cook) in Blackburn Centre give the best rates, far better than Lloyds where I bank.

I usually find that Althams in Accrington or Co-op travel (Thomas Cook) in Blackburn Centre give the best rates, far better than Lloyds where I bank.

The high street banks are probably the worst places to go, apart from the airport exchange bureaux. To get actual cash I have usually found either the Post Office or Travelex online have the best rates. The Post Office will deliver to your local office in 24 hours (or usually have euros or dollars in stock). With Travelex you can pick the order up at the airport.

Money saving website exchange rate screen scrape thingy...

http://travelmoney.moneysavingexpert.com/

I always check this. Doesn't help when to buy in this instance (although I think uncertainty in financial markets tends to be bad, so as the referendum approaches people will worry and pull money out of sterling), but the screen scrape site will assist in finding the best rate.

The Money saving website is a 'go to' resource, in my opinion.

Surely if the UK is that serious about the EU they should join their brothers in the single EU currency.

I quite agree. I have never understood why we haven't adopted the Euro over the years like Germany, France or Spain. We seem to have had one foot in and one foot out so to speak.

Quite ironic that the government will fine market traders for quoting weights in lbs and oz instead of kilos but as a nation we still use miles instead of kilometres and all the signage that goes with it.

Archived