BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] New Tablet Recommendations

My 5 year old iPad 2 is slowing to a crawl, refuses to open some webpages (mainly anything with loads of adverts ie LET) and with only 16gb memory, and a battery life that is now full to empty in 2 hours use, Im looking to replace it shortly.

But what with?

The new ipads are nearly 400 quid with basic memory. Im not particularly tied to Apple, so Im looking for recommendations of a decent spec'd tablet, Im not to bothered about gaming, but it should be good for streaming tv (Amazon, netflix etc). Ideally something I can upgrade the memory on, to keep more upto date.

Im looking for recommendations and whether there is anything really majorly different in performance between a £150 tablet and a £3-400 tablet.

I've had two Nexus 7s, the first, the original I was very impressed with, the second one, which was the next generation less so. I actually stopped using it about a year ago as I found its lack of performance frustrating. I may just have been unlucky and got a duff one, I did feel it should have maintained its performance for longer. I chose both these because, at the time, Nexus seemed to offer the best compromise between a work machine, Word, Excel etc. and an entertainment machine. Both models were poor for outside use - I like to use the Kindle app and I'd pay more for a machine with a screen which allows this. reading in bright sunlight, especially when abroad, is almost impossible whereas on my wife's Kindle it's a doddle. From memory I paid around £150

We bought Tom a Samsung Galaxy Tab last Christmas so nearly a year old. If I say it has stood up to everything he can throw at it you'll understand what I mean. I chose the Galaxy as I felt the screen was better than the competition, the overall use seemed smoother and the screen appeared though may not have been larger than the Nexus. This is probably an illusion created by the Galaxy being an overall better design. Tom uses it exclusively for watching TV, mainly sport and entertainment, and has no concern for how it's treated!! Other than playing around when I set it up and a quick glance on Saturdays before going to Rovers I haven't used it myself. Think we paid £160.

I have a Microsoft Surface Pro 4 with 116GB which I think is fantastic. This is a PC rather than a tablet but with the keyboard removed it is, as far as I can see, a fully functioning tablet. It has full Windows 10, which I really like, so is good for personal work, letters, email, household spreadsheets etc. Having the attachable keyboard I like as I've never really got on with onscreen typing and it keeps the screen nice and clean as I rarely use the touchscreen other than with the stylus. I haven't really got to grips with the stylus yet as it doesn't seem to function quite as I expected - not sure if this is me or not. Web surfing. live TV (99% BBC), downloading TV (again 99% BBC), reading indoors, music and radio have all been great so far.

Features like the magnetically attaching charger, stylus and key board are to my mind innovative and very practical. Charging time is very fast and battery life long.

I was extraordinarily lucky as I won this machine in the annual prize draw for a focus group I belong to. I've never won more than a bottle of wine in a raffle before!! Would I have bought one? I very, very much doubt I would even have considered it and before I won it was heading towards a Galaxy for myself. The drawbacks to this machine? At £750 as the base price it is horrifically expensive and Microsoft will then stiff you for another £120 for a keyboard. Would I recommend it above everything else? Without a doubt yes and I would now buy one. The price reflects the quality and that one has both a PC and tablet which will fully function as both a tablet and PC.

Technically I'm not qualified to comment and others may have different views, as a user the Surface Pro 4 is excellent.

I've had two Nexus 7s, the first, the original I was very impressed with, the second one, which was the next generation less so. I actually stopped using it about a year ago as I found its lack of performance frustrating. I may just have been unlucky and got a duff one, I did feel it should have maintained its performance for longer. I chose both these because, at the time, Nexus seemed to offer the best compromise between a work machine, Word, Excel etc. and an entertainment machine. Both models were poor for outside use - I like to use the Kindle app and I'd pay more for a machine with a screen which allows this. reading in bright sunlight, especially when abroad, is almost impossible whereas on my wife's Kindle it's a doddle. From memory I paid around £150

We bought Tom a Samsung Galaxy Tab last Christmas so nearly a year old. If I say it has stood up to everything he can throw at it you'll understand what I mean. I chose the Galaxy as I felt the screen was better than the competition, the overall use seemed smoother and the screen appeared though may not have been larger than the Nexus. This is probably an illusion created by the Galaxy being an overall better design. Tom uses it exclusively for watching TV, mainly sport and entertainment, and has no concern for how it's treated!! Other than playing around when I set it up and a quick glance on Saturdays before going to Rovers I haven't used it myself. Think we paid £160.

I have a Microsoft Surface Pro 4 with 116GB which I think is fantastic. This is a PC rather than a tablet but with the keyboard removed it is, as far as I can see, a fully functioning tablet. It has full Windows 10, which I really like, so is good for personal work, letters, email, household spreadsheets etc. Having the attachable keyboard I like as I've never really got on with onscreen typing and it keeps the screen nice and clean as I rarely use the touchscreen other than with the stylus. I haven't really got to grips with the stylus yet as it doesn't seem to function quite as I expected - not sure if this is me or not. Web surfing. live TV (99% BBC), downloading TV (again 99% BBC), reading indoors, music and radio have all been great so far.

Features like the magnetically attaching charger, stylus and key board are to my mind innovative and very practical. Charging time is very fast and battery life long.

I was extraordinarily lucky as I won this machine in the annual prize draw for a focus group I belong to. I've never won more than a bottle of wine in a raffle before!! Would I have bought one? I very, very much doubt I would even have considered it and before I won it was heading towards a Galaxy for myself. The drawbacks to this machine? At £750 as the base price it is horrifically expensive and Microsoft will then stiff you for another £120 for a keyboard. Would I recommend it above everything else? Without a doubt yes and I would now buy one. The price reflects the quality and that one has both a PC and tablet which will fully function as both a tablet and PC.

Technically I'm not qualified to comment and others may have different views, as a user the Surface Pro 4 is excellent.

Thanks Paul. Ive seen the surface pro, and like them a lot, but can't really afford one. I have a pretty good works laptop, that they don't mind me using at home for word etc, so I couldn't justify the price at the moment.

I'll have a look at the samsung tablets, its often difficult to find decent reviews though, and most salespeople just try and get you to buy the most expensive.

I bought my daughter the Google Nexus 9. It had some mixed reviews but we have had it for a year and no problems with it.

The Samsung Tab S is also a great tablet with a fantastic screen.

I personally have a iPad Air 2. It hands down the best tablet that I have ever had. It has very good battery life and does everything that I want from a portable device.

I bought my daughter the Google Nexus 9. It had some mixed reviews but we have had it for a year and no problems with it.

I personally have a iPad Air 2. It hands down the best tablet that I have ever had. It has very good battery life and does everything that I want from a portable device.

Thanks Kamy

I've got the Tab S, cracking screen and can interchange memory cards. Great for loading films up for long journeys.

Another +1 for samsung tablet screens here, had a note 10.1 for a couple of years and upgraded to the 12.2 pro (eyes going and the extra screen size makes a hell of a difference not just for viewing but also workable area)

probably overkill for what you are wanting it for, as I use it when I'm out and about for work etc. but def fantastic screens

Mrs came over from the dark side of the apple ecosystem and has a tab s2 and never looked back. She uses it for reading ebooks and watching stuff via kodi ,web browsing , occasional gaming etc.

No problems to report with any of the above , no exploding batteries :)

• 1 month later...

Archived