+2 Pleasing/good play 

+1 Decent play 

0 Routine stuff 

-1 Sloppy play 

-2 Disappointing/poor play  

-3 Very poor play 

-4 Terrible play 

-5 Own goal 

The ratings for each player were then combined to produce a measure of the players overall contribution to the match. 

Ratings       

Key incidents per player = coloured stars              Overall contribution = numbers

Kaminski                *******  *     16                              

Nyambe(42)          **  ***     -2

Lenihan                  ****************************  ************    21     

van Hecke              ********************  ************     11

Wharton                ***************  ********     12

Giles                       ******** *******     1

Travis                     *********** ****     10

Buckley (71)          ******  ********     -2

Edun (40)               *******  *****    -4    

Gallagher (45)       ****** ***     4

Diaz                        ********  ******    9

Johnson (42)         *********  ***     

Dack (45)               *  **     -1

Dolan (71)             *  **     -2

Highlights and Lowlights 

(A justification for the main ratings given above)

Posh have won 6 games this season. Nothing to fear here!

02 Diaz, in the box, controls the incoming ball on his thigh and swivels to fire just over the bar. Decent effort.

03 A lapse in concentration by Wharton forces him to concede a corner.

04 Giles gives the ball away near our box  but the Posh shot is wide.

07 Travis picks up the ball and is a bit lucky to wriggle past 2 defenders to the edge of the box. He squares it to Gallagher who hits it first time along the floor (firmly but central) and the goalie goes down to parry it away well.

10 Lenihan is drawn forward and the ball ends up looping over him to the edge of the box where van Hecke only manages to head the ball to the feet of the on-rushing Posh man, 12 yards out but Kaminski is there to save us again by blocking his miscued shot. Bad miss in truth.

14 More comedy defending as another Posh man tests Kaminski.

Tell me how our previously impenetrable back 5 has degenerated into this shambles?

21 Gallagher manages to get the better of Kent 30 yards out as Buckley’s looped pass comes towards him but he’s pulled down as he tries to run to goal. No foul! Poor decision….arguably could have been red as he may have been the last defender?

Now Diaz loses control and as Knight sets off on a run, Edun clips him to the floor. A soft yellow card.

22 More unconvincing defending as Kaminski collects another Peterborough shot.

25 More last minute, panicky tackles/touches as we somehow keep hold of the ball. I’m shaking my head.

26 Van Hecke passes straight to a Posh man but fortunately his through ball is poor when our defence was gaping wide.

30 Buckley on the right wing, 20 yards out, sends a perfect ball to Diaz on the 6 yard line and he puts a well-directed header back across goal and into the net. Sadly it’s judged a nudge in the back of the defender by Ben and it’s chalked off. It doesn’t look like there was much contact to me.

32 Now Wharton gets a clear push in the back….no foul!

34 Van Hecke and Lenihan stuff up and Posh attack. Lenihan gets back to cut out the ball 10 yards out but he miscontrols and Szmodics robs him. Fortunately his left-footed shot slides across the face of goal. Terrible defending again but a bad miss too by Posh.

36 Edun loses the ball, Travis is easily beaten and Posh attack down their left wing. The cross arrives to Harris, 12 yards out, who volleys first time into the ground and Kaminski brilliantly paws the ball over the bar.

We’re being given a football lesson from the bottom club in the League!

40 Dear dear! Edun receives a pass in our half but he mis-controls and to prevent the Posh man heading for goal he brings him down. Second yellow and off! Both cards seem soft but he did prevent a Peterborough attack each time.

42 Nyambe (sacrificed on his 200th appearance) off, Johnson on, into midfield.

44 Wowee, Posh are stroking the ball around with confidence. Lots of Rovers players showing their frustration.

47 The ref is giving some really soft fouls against us.

45 Gallagher off, Dack on.

47 Posh players are throwing themselves on the floor. Harris this time.

51 A Dack free-kick 20 yards out, just to the left of the D. Straight into the wall.

52 But it’s a corner. Van Hecke gets a touch and Lenihan, from the byline, hammers in a square cross. It ricochets into the air and a defender heads out for another corner.

54 A feeble attempted challenge on halfway by Buckley concedes a foul. Now Johnson gives away a soft free kick.

57 Posh stroll right through our defence again but it’s an easy save for Kaminski.

59 Same again but this time van Hecke blocks out twice and it’s a corner.

64 Same again but this time Marriott, unmarked in the box, hits his shot low to the right post and Kaminski saves.

68 Same again but this time Harris mis-controls the incoming pass near the penalty spot and the ball runs through to Kaminski. Wharton and van Hecke both slipped to give him a free shot!

69 Same again and Lenihan is beaten easily but Travis blocks the cross for a corner.

71 Buckley off, Dolan on.

72 Giles takes forever to take a throw-in.

74 A shot comes in from 26 yards and it’s comfortable for Kaminski.

76 A nice 1-2 from a long clearance by Posh between Travis and van Hecke. JP curves a beautiful long ball to Diaz on the edge of the box. He lets it run forwards off his chest and, from 11 yards, he smashes the ball inside the right post. Great finish! Who’da thought?

Players and fans go wild! Ben’s first this calendar year! Have we got the bottle?

78 Travis fouls 30 yards out. The free-kick hits the wall. The fans are loud!

81 Lenihan allows the winger to get in a dangerous cross from the byline and Kaminski has to punch away. It goes out to Diaz who is dispossessed and falls over looking for a foul. Posh push on and carve us wide open. Johnson is standing still, Wharton and van Hecke are bypassed and Szmodics puts the ball past Kaminski from the right corner of the 6 yard box.

85 A Peterborough corner and it’s ping pong in the box until Johnson hoofs it away.

86 A Dolan drive pushes us downfield but the ending is poor as he tries to do too much and loses the ball. Posh stream forward. Nobody is marking the right winger…and it’s 5 against 3. The ball is slipped through to the winger, van Hecke can’t stop the cross to Randall, unmarked and 9 yards out. Lenihan makes a fantastic last ditch block and van Hecke hoofs clear. Good grief!

Posh come back down the right wing. Dack is knackered. The ball is fired into Harris on the penalty spot, Lenihan is wrong-sided, allowing Harris to lay back to Marriott a few yards back. He is totally unmarked and is able to miscontrol before arcing the ball into the left side of the net. Where was the defence? It’s hard to allocate blame as we were all at sea throughout and we didn’t get back quickly enough. What a terrible way to concede.

92 A long punt downfield is headed on and sees Lenihan and Wharton challenging a lone Posh striker into our box. Wharton can’t keep up but fortunately Marriott falls over and it’s no penalty.

94 Lenihan fires in a good ball from halfway to the edge of the box. Van Hecke touches it on to Dack but he’s off-balance and Knight is too strong and the chance drifts away. The final whistle goes.

It’s so depressing. How many times can we throw wonderful opportunities away? Down to 8th I think.

Afterthought: the centrebacks have too much to do.

• Like 3

On the way home, the four of us in the car discussed MOTM & how difficult it was to land on someone who had been vaguely competent. I was waiting for this analysis with bated breath and fully expected a top score of about 6 being awarded…

Lenihan’s score is really surprising but it serves to show that in the fog of battle it’s possible to miss significant contributions.

interesting to see how it compares to this…

https://brfcs.com/magazine/football/match/717294/peterborough-blackburn?tab=voting7F660E34-5481-46F7-AD22-E86A7E87EF8D.png

1 hour ago, Herbie6590 said:

On the way home, the four of us in the car discussed MOTM & how difficult it was to land on someone who had been vaguely competent. I was waiting for this analysis with bated breath and fully expected a top score of about 6 being awarded…

Lenihan’s score is really surprising but it serves to show that in the fog of battle it’s possible to miss significant contributions.

interesting to see how it compares to this…

https://brfcs.com/magazine/football/match/717294/peterborough-blackburn?tab=voting7F660E34-5481-46F7-AD22-E86A7E87EF8D.png

As I’ve been doing this I’ve got used to other fans expressing surprise at some of my ratings (Last match it was Travis). I value the comments and have used them to fine tune the system. I think I’m a fair bit better than when I first started…..but far from perfect heh heh!

The opinion I’ve formed from these comments and from comments on the match thread is that fans are conditioned to remember the spectacularly good or spectacularly bad and this can tend to override other less obvious contributions. This is more the case, I think, if the player is a personal rogue or hero. Even more so when we are so down in the dumps - like yesterday. This is just my theory.

I judge every incident that occurs during the game; I decide if they’re significant or not. If they are, they appear above as coloured *. Look at Lenihan’s contribution - it puts some others to shame. He was the most committed player on show if you judge from the number of significant incidents he was involved in. 
Just for fun, I looked up whoscored.com. Lenihan was our highest rated outfield player at 7.2. (Kaminski 7.5).

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Thanks as always Tony. I missed the game so your report is invaluable. Thoroughly depressing reading. Have they no pride in themselves !

It was the worst yesterday Tyrone. I have to admit I thought we had a decent formation…..enough for Posh anyway……but there was no spark, no drive, no ambition. I’m glad you enjoyed the rugby league at least.

32 minutes ago, tonyoz said:

As I’ve been doing this I’ve got used to other fans expressing surprise at some of my ratings (Last match it was Travis). I value the comments and have used them to fine tune the system. I think I’m a fair bit better than when I first started…..but far from perfect heh heh!

The opinion I’ve formed from these comments and from comments on the match thread is that fans are conditioned to remember the spectacularly good or spectacularly bad and this can tend to override other less obvious contributions. This is more the case, I think, if the player is a personal rogue or hero. Even more so when we are so down in the dumps - like yesterday. This is just my theory.

I judge every incident that occurs during the game; I decide if they’re significant or not. If they are, they appear above as coloured *. Look at Lenihan’s contribution - it puts some others to shame. He was the most committed player on show if you judge from the number of significant incidents he was involved in. 
Just for fun, I looked up whoscored.com. Lenihan was our highest rated outfield player at 7.2. (Kaminski 7.5).

It’s why I make a beeline to your charts..😁

Loads of things colour your judgement - watching from behind a goal (not halfway, on high per TV), recency bias (last 15 more memorable than 1st 15), halo effect of a win (forget poor play)…or horn effect of a defeat & so on…

My overwhelming view was that we were running on empty (not entirely surprisingly) & the basics eluded us & as such finding a hero to laud was difficult. Your charts provide intriguing insight 👍🏻

46 minutes ago, tonyoz said:

It was the worst yesterday Tyrone. I have to admit I thought we had a decent formation…..enough for Posh anyway……but there was no spark, no drive, no ambition. I’m glad you enjoyed the rugby league at least.

The rugby was a great afternoon out, until I turned on my phone after our game to see our score go from 0-1 to 1-1 to 2-1 in the blink of an eye !  There’s something rotten at the heart of the club. I think we all know what that “ something “ is. I’m sick and tired of the lack of commitment to the club and the shirt. The culture of failure at Rovers runs right through the club, only a change of ownership will eradicate it. Players thinking that pulling somebody back by the shirt equates to getting stuck in. They make me sick, the lot of them.

They should watch the part time pro Rugby League lads, the plumbers and joiners, they really put their bodies on the line every week for a pittance. It’s what’s beating under the badge that matters in sport and too many at Ewood have a caraway seed instead of a heart.

4 hours ago, Herbie6590 said:

interesting to see how it compares to this…………

I meant to say: The image of the 4 of you travelling back, dissecting the game in detail………great stuff, that’s what it’s all about.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

The rugby was a great afternoon out, until I turned on my phone after our game to see our score go from 0-1 to 1-1 to 2-1 in the blink of an eye !  There’s something rotten at the heart of the club. I think we all know what that “ something “ is. I’m sick and tired of the lack of commitment to the club and the shirt. The culture of failure at Rovers runs right through the club, only a change of ownership will eradicate it. Players thinking that pulling somebody back by the shirt equates to getting stuck in. They make me sick, the lot of them.

They should watch the part time pro Rugby League lads, the plumbers and joiners, they really put their bodies on the line every week for a pittance. It’s what’s beating under the badge that matters in sport and too many at Ewood have a caraway seed instead of a heart.

That’s a heartfelt post. We did seem to have ‘something’ when we went on the good run….that’s what hurts…..it was all a fragile mirage. As long time supporters we know chances like this come along rarely…..so many opportunities slipping through our fingers……even when we had a bad week…..the opportunities for redemption kept coming……but to no avail.

3 minutes ago, tonyoz said:

That’s a heartfelt post. We did seem to have ‘something’ when we went on the good run….that’s what hurts…..it was all a fragile mirage. As long time supporters we know chances like this come along rarely…..so many opportunities slipping through our fingers……even when we had a bad week…..the opportunities for redemption kept coming……but to no avail.

Like you say, it was a mirage. I can’t remember the last time I thought we had a team with a level of commitment equal to the rugby lads, maybe under Mark Hughes ? Most of them didn’t take a backward step when the going got tough. I bet Ryan Nelsen had played a bit of Rugby in his time, he certainly played like he had. 

12 hours ago, all you need is duff said:

Cheers for this. The lack of Dack stats confirm what many of us are seeing. He isn’t making loads of mistakes but the games are mainly passing him by 

He can only truly (& fairly) be judged after a proper pre-season…we’ve picked him out of necessity & the poor bloke is carrying the weight of our hopes.