BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Parkhead area

Uddersfelt Blue

Just had a warning from a Scottish colleague at work who reckons that the part of Glasgow we will be visiting is comparable to Beirut and that at the last Old Firm game there were 47 stabbings on the day.

Please take care wherever you are staying/ drinking etc.

Hope to see everyone safe and sound on this board at the week-end.

It is very scary indeed. I mentioned before having to walk back through it and the Blue part of the East-end a couple of years back :oops:  The only colour on the landscape consists of the ubiquitous tricolours dotted around all the houses. The Gorbels is on the way in, you should stop and have a look ???

sound advice, there, alright when the games are on but don't hang about there too long after the game get back into the city centre it can be a bit dodgy, theres alot of good places to go in glasgow, it won't be too hard to find a good pub!!!! city centre for neutral pubs, gallowgate for celtic pubs (lots of good friendly banter in the celtic pubs) and i'm not telling you where the hun pubs r because i wouldn't inflict them on my worst enemy

hail hail

2-0 at Celtic

1-2 at blackburn

Please tell me this is a wind up and that you're not stupid enough to believe this kind of nonsense.  I'm a Rovers fan living in Scotland who also has a season ticket for Celtic, so I should hopefully know what I'm talking about.  I've been to many Celtic games against English opposition (eg Liverpool, Newcastle, Man U) when the atmosphere and banter in the pubs around the ground has been great, without even the slightest hint of trouble.  However, I wouldn't suggest going in the pubs around Parkhead purely because they will be uncomfortably busy and because there are far better places to drink in the Gallowgate and the city centre.  Over the years Celtic supporters have built up an excellent reputation whenever they play in Europe or abroad, hence the fact they are constantly invited south to play in many testimonials.  Re your point about stabbings at old firm games:  There have been 8 deaths attributed to old firm violence since I think about 1995.  All of these victims have been Celtic fans.  Just put your worry beads away and come up to Glasgow and have a great time.  I admit Parkhead, or the Gallowgate for that matter, are not the most affleunt areas, but that does not mean you will receive any less of a welcome and that you won't have a cracking time.

Just had a warning from a Scottish colleague at work who reckons that the part of Glasgow we will be visiting is comparable to Beirut and that at the last Old Firm game there were 47 stabbings on the day.

Please take care wherever you are staying/ drinking etc.

Hope to see everyone safe and sound on this board at the week-end.

Hey Uddersfelt Blue

I’m from the east end of Glasgow and I take great exception to your comments/advice re football games in my side of town and about my city! In fact your comments shouldn’t deserve a reply, but I feel I must. I have lived in the east end of Glasgow all my life and have been a season ticket holder (Celtic) for many years. I am an articulate and intelligent individual as most Celtic fans and Glaswegians are. Unfortunately, just like any other big City in Europe we have an inherent problem with crime. I however am fortunate not to have witnessed many (if any) violent incidents. Do us all a favour and visit our City and make up your own mind instead of being led by some guy who obviously had to leave the city probably through some fault of his own!!!!!!! And not anything to do with the “friendliest people in the world”.  

Finally, if you are looking for some facts the last 9 football related murders in Glasgow (which spans over 10 years) have been committed by Rangers fans on Celtic fans on days of the “Old Firm” match.

Just chill out and enjoy. :O

Use common sense and there will be no trouble ... end of story.  This is not an Old Firm game, there is no call to use certain inflammatory chants (I think a couple of posters on here are not old enough to understand this), and both Rovers and Celtic have exemplary reputations for support at home, and away in Europe.

PSG was a possible in this draw ... trust me that would have been an absolute minefield in comparison.  I've lived there.

Thanks for the reassurance aldo 63

Please do not see my previous message as a slur on the east end of Glasgow or Celtic in any way.

I am simply passing on what I have been told by my friend who is a Dundee Utd fan. I have no reason to doubt what he says.

However I accept that there are good and bad in all towns and cities and will be going to the match regardless.

I hope (if the opportunity arises) to share some of your Scottish hospitality with like minded football supporters who  can accept the occasion for what it is and respect the opposition, regardless of the result.

Just in case people are still a little concerned. I've visited Glasgow for work on many occassions, in fact when in Scotland I always try to plan my trips so I can stay overnight in Glasgow. The city centre and west end are great for bars, restaurants etc. In the west end, especially the Byers Road area you can find a whole range of great places to eat with every price level and type of fodd you could need - Glasgow is a great night out.

Have to say I wouldn't leave my car near Parkhead, but that's the same for areas of Leeds, Manchester, Liverpool etc. which is why we are ging on the coach!

Lived here for 7 years and love the place.

You have to have your head screwed on when ever you visit big cities with Rovers, goes without saying.

Respect the locals, enjoy and support our team to the hilt and there'll be no problem.

Just don't get involved in any 'OLD FIRM BAITING'

Play up Rovers !!

Forgive me If I'm mistaken, but I'm sure Uddersfelt Blue began this thread by asking if the Parkhead area resembled Beirut ? All I'll say is that if Yasser Arafat is ever kidnapped and taken to the wasteland between Dalmarnock and Parkhead - there will be a moment after the blindfold's removed that he'll breathe a sigh of relief thinking he's on home soil  :D

As for the figure of 47 stabbings - not sure whether it was that high but there's no doubt trouble always flares when the Old Firm get together.

I won't get involved in the backslapping about " the friendliest city in the World" or rubbish remarks like " I've never seen many (if any) violent incidents " as it would be so easy to disprove those viewpoints. All I'll say is that Rovers fans have nothing to worry about when they visit Glasgow - and if it's as friendly as the reception i receive every time I visit Accrington then you'll have a great evening...

RangeRover can’t you read. Uddersfelt Blue actually wrote the word comparable not resembled. These words have different meanings. The suggestion was that Parkhead and the east end was similar or equal to living in Beirut. Does that mean that people are running about with kalashnikov riffles, rocket launchers or using T74 tanks to kill one another, I think not. I agree there is a lot of poverty; deprivation and wasteland in this area but Glasgow City council are trying to resolve this with the new housing initiative.

I've never seen many (if any) violent incidents” are you my shadow; do you follow me about all day, every day? That is not a viewpoint it is a fact.

“The friendliest city in the world”. That is my opinion, it is not rubbish. You may disagree and everybody has the right to do so. But I bet the majority of Glaswegians and tourists would disagree with your viewpoint and probably say, “You are talking rubbish”

:razz:

Glaswegian and proud, and you'll never have a better night out than in Glasgow.

BUT I'm afraid that (as with many industrial cities throughout the UK) that the East End is not a lovely place - many people feel like beating you up for simply walking past them. Of course the majority of the people who live in the East End are harmless, but there is still an unsavoury minority, and with this whole Celtic vs Souness thing in the making I would advise Rovers fans to get into Parkhead for the game and back into the City Centre afterwards.

This murder statistic (wherever it came from) that "proves" Rangers fans are actually the evil ones and Celtic fans are a 100% lovely bunch is nonsense - I come from a Rangers supporting family and take great offense to this. The fact is that both sets of fans are on the whole a great bunch, but unfortuantely the minority speaks the loudest.

This murder statistic (wherever it came from) that "proves" Rangers fans are actually the evil ones and Celtic fans are a 100% lovely bunch is nonsense

Very true. Some of the Celtic supporting scum that inhabit parts of Belfast are not exactly good ambassadors for the club.

Myself and Capt Kayos visited Celtic pubs within spitting distance of Parkhead last night, and whilst not being the most affluent of areas, the reception we got from the Celtic fans couldn't have been friendlier. On the way back from the ground we got lost and ended up walking approximately 6 miles rather than the 2 miles it is from Parkhead to the City centre. This detour took us through some unsavoury parts of Glasgow (including the Gorbals). However not once did we feel threatened or intimidated, and I can't remember having ever shaken so many hands!

In my experience the people of Glasgow showed themselves to be the most friendly and hospitable I have encountered whilst travelling with the Rovers.

Myself and Capt Kayos visited Celtic pubs within spitting distance of Parkhead last night, and whilst not being the most affluent of areas, the reception we got from the Celtic fans couldn't have been friendlier. On the way back from the ground we got lost and ended up walking approximately 6 miles rather than the 2 miles it is from Parkhead to the City centre. This detour took us through some unsavoury parts of Glasgow (including the Gorbals). However not once did we feel threatened or intimidated, and I can't remember having ever shaken so many hands!

In my experience the people of Glasgow showed themselves to be the most friendly and hospitable I have encountered whilst travelling with the Rovers.

Quite right, we were in a pub near the ground, and there was a great deal of good natured banter.   And they are all coming down for the Ewood leg as well.

I think I can speak for both Paul McGarry & MancRover when I say that we only met friendly Celtic fans at all times during last night (well apart from the guy in the Horseshoe after the game, he was so @#/? I couldn't tell what he was saying)

As for that Beireut stuff..... Ambleside Athletic FC may play in a rural idyll, but there cannot be many grounds when the surroundings are anything but "rough" to one deree or another.

Didn't get chance to see much of Glasgow last night as we stayed outside the city, but have to say that it didn't look half as bad as I had been led to expect.

OK, it's clear that this part of Glasgow "has seen better days" as they say, and that a lot of the older housing is being knocked down to make way for more amenable facilities. This is typical of many big cities across the UK.

What did impress me however was the friendliness of the few Glaswegians we happened to meet, from the taxi driver (who never stopped winding us up about the violence we might encounter) to the Celtic fan we drank with until the early hours.

An experience I would not have missed depite the result.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.