SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] The Standard of refereeing

Tom

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Backroom

Kean saying we accept the decision he needs to take a harder like and stop trying to endear himself to neutrals.

He is doing a decent Job of that though somehow

• Backroom

Numerous handballs missed V Fulham and some of the worst advantages you will see (having the ball doesn't always mean its an advantage), Pedersen booked for a good tackle, murhpy nit booked for a cynical pull back and kicking the ball away

Clear handball missed today, maybe 2

Numerous handballs missed V Fulham and some of the worst advantages you will see (having the ball doesn't always mean its an advantage), Pedersen booked for a good tackle, murhpy nit booked for a cynical pull back and kicking the ball away

Clear handball missed today, maybe 2

A referee can pull an advantage back.

As for handball look at the referees position when the incident occurs admittedly its a lot easier with a camera and a second look.

Kean saying we accept the decision he needs to take a harder like and stop trying to endear himself to neutrals.

I agree could that not just put less preassue on refs when making big decisions in matches involving is?

That's because most manager's careers can depend on refereeing decisions.

This is why he's quoted as being dignified. It's like charm as a weapon. ^_^

HOW CAN THE PREM LEAGUE ALLOW A BOLTON FAN TO REFEREE GAMES THAT INVOLVE TEAMS THAT HE CAN MAKE DECISIONS TO HELP BOLTON???

ITS CHEATING CORRUPT AND HES HELPING FIX MATCHES ....THAT HANDBALL GOAL IS SCANDLEUOS !!!!!!!!!!!!!

You make a salient point and I'm really surprised he is refereeing Rovers games again. Several years ago he refereed us at Liverpool and at home to another team and in each game sent a Rovers player off (Zurab and Andy Todd). I know that Rovers complained to the Premier League and he didn't referee us again until the Stoke away game this season. The complaint was that he shouldn't referee us having such strong links to one of our local rivals. In the Stoke game he retrospectively red carded Steven N'Zonzi who got a three game ban. He trains with Bolton despite being told not to after he wrote an article in the Bolton programme and said something like 'we really need to win today'. The game was against Liverpool and Rick Parry reported it and he was told to stop going into Bolton and mixing with their players. I know that he still goes in. Why on earth this is still allowed when there are such huge stakes is incredible. For the protection of the referees as much as anything they shouldn't referee teams where any accusation of bias can be leveled at them due to their connection to a particular team or where they come from.

You make a salient point and I'm really surprised he is refereeing Rovers games again. Several years ago he refereed us at Liverpool and at home to another team and in each game sent a Rovers player off (Zurab and Andy Todd). I know that Rovers complained to the Premier League and he didn't referee us again until the Stoke away game this season. The complaint was that he shouldn't referee us having such strong links to one of our local rivals. In the Stoke game he retrospectively red carded Steven N'Zonzi who got a three game ban. He trains with Bolton despite being told not to after he wrote an article in the Bolton programme and said something like 'we really need to win today'. The game was against Liverpool and Rick Parry reported it and he was told to stop going into Bolton and mixing with their players. I know that he still goes in. Why on earth this is still allowed when there are such huge stakes is incredible. For the protection of the referees as much as anything they shouldn't referee teams where any accusation of bias can be leveled at them due to their connection to a particular team or where they come from.

Didn't Eddie Wolstenholme used to train with Rovers?

Seems a little churlish, not to allow referees access to top training facilities - particularly as they are traditionally seen as overweight, over-the-hill, old duffers. (Lee Mason looks to have lost a few stone by the way).

There should be (if there isn't already) a referee "club", run much like a football club with continuous learning, review of previous games/decisions, and elite fitness training. At the very least northern and southern clubs. They may already get together from time to time but this should be done on a weekly basis - negating the need to affiliate with clubs.

I agree that it might look bad that he refereed our game today but I doubt he allowed the handball goal on purpose so as to help Bolton. In any case, we got a result.

Didn't Eddie Wolstenholme used to train with Rovers?

Seems a little churlish, not to allow referees access to top training facilities - particularly as they are traditionally seen as overweight, over-the-hill, old duffers. (Lee Mason looks to have lost a few stone by the way).

There should be (if there isn't already) a referee "club", run much like a football club with continuous learning, review of previous games/decisions, and elite fitness training. At the very least northern and southern clubs. They may already get together from time to time but this should be done on a weekly basis - negating the need to affiliate with clubs.

I agree that it might look bad that he refereed our game today but I doubt he allowed the handball goal on purpose so as to help Bolton. In any case, we got a result.

Eddie Wolstenholme has never trained with any club. The Select Group of referees meet every other week and there is time set aside for physical training. They also have training plans which they have to adhere to. They download the data from their HRM's and sent it to a sports scientist who monitors the intensity and effort. Halsey likes going into Bolton as he thinks he is a celebrity in his own right and likes to 'mix' with the players. Before he moved to Bolton he used to train with Watford.

I don't for one minute think there is anything untoward in his decisions. But why is he put in a position where that accusation can be leveled at him. The person who appointed him to the game should have known better.

It's wrong than Halsey should be reffing our games particularly in the current situation. I'm certain he was pictured in the Bolton stands only last year and as others have said he has previous in our matches. If they need to train surely there are other clubs/facilities they can use without using clubs that are likely to be affected by their decisions in the matches they referee.

Eddie Wolstenholme has never trained with any club. The Select Group of referees meet every other week and there is time set aside for physical training. They also have training plans which they have to adhere to. They download the data from their HRM's and sent it to a sports scientist who monitors the intensity and effort. Halsey likes going into Bolton as he thinks he is a celebrity in his own right and likes to 'mix' with the players. Before he moved to Bolton he used to train with Watford.

I don't for one minute think there is anything untoward in his decisions. But why is he put in a position where that accusation can be leveled at him. The person who appointed him to the game should have known better.

Towards the end of the Everton game, one of his assistant referees pulled Halsey across for a word, the game stopped, yet nothing was done after the chat, just what was all that about .

Towards the end of the Everton game, one of his assistant referees pulled Halsey across for a word, the game stopped, yet nothing was done after the chat, just what was all that about .

Strange one really. They held the game up for about a minute whilst they chatted and then nothing happened. Why not use the headsets and save the paying fans having to watch them confer whilst the players stand around.

Sooo

Everton at home, we were denied a point by a penalty that never was. 1 point lost

Norwich game nzonzi was very harshly deemed to have hanballed. 2 points lost

Sunderland away goal disallowed for no reason. 1 point lost ( tho I would argue a 2-0 lead may have been a win) 1 point lost

Everton away handball 2 points lost.

Looking at those key points, it shows the terrible inconsistency from refs. We have lost points in the last minute due to penalties that never were. Then we have a legal goal chalked off, then this handball decision yesterday which nzonzi got penalised for..

Sooo

Everton at home, we were denied a point by a penalty that never was. 1 point lost

Norwich game nzonzi was very harshly deemed to have hanballed. 2 points lost

Sunderland away goal disallowed for no reason. 1 point lost ( tho I would argue a 2-0 lead may have been a win) 1 point lost

Everton away handball 2 points lost.

Looking at those key points, it shows the terrible inconsistency from refs. We have lost points in the last minute due to penalties that never were. Then we have a legal goal chalked off, then this handball decision yesterday which nzonzi got penalised for..

On the other hand

Formica dived for the first penalty against Everton

Walcott was fouled in penalty area by Robinson in last minute against Arsenal 2 points gained.

Allen unlucky to be sent off for Swansea when they had started to look the most likely to score 2 points gained

We can go on and on as can every other fan in the Premier League.

I saw the match on MOTD and there is no way that the ref or linesman could have seen the handball. Doubt we would have had any complaints if it had gone our way like Pedersen a few years ago at Newcastle. If Dunn hadn't been on the goal line he would have been offside, so Dunn is more to blame than the referee.

You sound more like Kean. I don't want to make excuses but ...

On the other hand

Formica dived for the first penalty against Everton

Walcott was fouled in penalty area by Robinson in last minute against Arsenal 2 points gained.

Allen unlucky to be sent off for Swansea when they had started to look the most likely to score 2 points gained

We can go on and on as can every other fan in the Premier League.

I saw the match on MOTD and there is no way that the ref or linesman could have seen the handball. Doubt we would have had any complaints if it had gone our way like Pedersen a few years ago at Newcastle. If Dunn hadn't been on the goal line he would have been offside, so Dunn is more to blame than the referee.

You sound more like Kean. I don't want to make excuses but ...

The referee was in a good position to see the handball. I was there and immediately looked at his position and if he is missing something as blatant as that he should get to Specsavers. Kean actually said something similar to what you said about not being in a position to see it. Now I'll wager that Kean went to see the referee after the game and that is what Halsey told him. Previous Rovers managers would have blasted the referee but I can tell you for a fact that we are seen as a soft touch because Kean readily accepts the decisions that are clearly wrong and in some instances backs the referee. I once got into a debate with a high profile manager and asked him why he had a go at a particular referee when I thought he did well. He winked at me and said something like 'I know but that is for the next time he has us'.

Make of that what you will.

HOW CAN THE PREM LEAGUE ALLOW A BOLTON FAN TO REFEREE GAMES THAT INVOLVE TEAMS THAT HE CAN MAKE DECISIONS TO HELP BOLTON???

ITS CHEATING CORRUPT AND HES HELPING FIX MATCHES ....THAT HANDBALL GOAL IS SCANDLEUOS !!!!!!!!!!!!!

No referee on the current Premiership list lives further South than the Midlands so to accomodate all the referees to take control of each team, the distance from Ewood Park or wherever Rovers is playing is not that far.

M Atkinson W. Yorkshire

S Attwell Warwickshire

M Clattenburg Tyne & Wear

M L Dean Wirral

P Dowd Staffordshire

C J Foy Merseyside

K Friend Leicestershire

M R Halsey Lancashire

M J Jones Chester

A Marriner W. Midlands

Lee Mason Lancashire

Jonathan Moss West Yorkshire

M Oliver Northumberland

Lee Probert Gloucestershire

Neil Swarbrick Lancashire

A Taylor Manchester

P Walton Northamptonshire

Howard Webb S. Yorkshire

C Webster Tyne & Wear

I can also assure you that having met and chatted to Mark a number of times, he is certainly not a Bolton Wanderers fan, or any fan of a Premiership team for that matter.

I once got into a debate with a high profile manager and asked him why he had a go at a particular referee when I thought he did well. He winked at me and said something like 'I know but that is for the next time he has us'.

Make of that what you will.

And that is the problem.

Archived