SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Wayne Rooney,role Model?

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 months later...

When will he ever grow up and stop acting like a petulant child ?

article-1163806-0405B294000005DC-896_468x402.jpgimage-7-for-fulham-2-0-manchester-united-gallery-486523989.jpg

23-year-old Wayne Rooney isn't a kid anymore in terms of the year when he was born. However he still continues to display the characteristics of a spolit brat and a petulant child who spits his dummy out when things don't go his way.

On Saturday at Craven Cottage it was a similar story with Rooney initially refusing to leave the field after he had been sent off, gesticulating and shouting at the referee and then punching the corner flag after he eventually left the field. It's typical behaviour from a stroppy teenager, but at 23, it's about time that Rooney grew up.

Wayne's first yellow card was for aggressively pulling a Fulham player back and his second yellow card came after he threw the ball in frustration. On the pitch Rooney resembles a wild untamed bull who is unable to curb his aggressive instincts.

At times Rooney reminds me of how Paul Gascoigne behaved in the 1991 FA Cup final when Gazza came onto the Wembley pitch charging around like a madman lunging at people. Both Rooney and Gazza grew up in less than salubrious surroundings in rough working-class areas of Liverpool and Newcastle respectively, but despite growing up in rough neigbourhoods it is no excuse for them to behave like wild animals.

Gazza has had well-documented problems with alcoholism, bulimia and obsessive-compulsive disorder. Last year the clinical psychologist Oliver James said of Gascoigne: "He's got a weak sense of self-esteem resulting from a poor early infancy. That has meant he isn't very good at forming stable relationships, other than with drunken companions. He lacks a social network and identity and so is just floating around in some horrible state."

Despite Gazza's lack of self-esteem and a history of mental illness there was no excuse for him to beat his former wife Sheryl - which Gazza freely admits to having done. Using women as a punchbag, beating them black and blue, is a sign of a coward and a thug not a hero. I can never condone violence towards women even if the perpetrator is mentally ill.

Gascoigne is sometimes capable of generous, if at times bizarre behaviour. He once paid £320 for a Mars Bar in a newsagents in his home town of Gateshead, then told the shop owner to spend the change on sweets for local kids.

To Gascoigne's credit at least he hasn't completely turned his back on his roots or displayed a contempt for the people he grew up with. I'm afraid with Wayne Rooney that doesn't appear to be the case. When drinking in Manchester clubs, Rooney has reportedly joined in with anti-scouser chants from Man United fans - singing that scousers should be put on a bonfire and burned.

This is what Rooney apparently thinks of the people he grew up with - he says that he hates them and he wants to burn them. What a charming man he is.

It wasn't just Rooney who displayed arrogance and petulance at Craven Cottage on Saturday. Christina Ronaldo was back to his worst again. The slippery Portugese brat was lucky not to be sent off, which would have meant United being down to eight men. Christina twice had to be warned by referee Phil Dowd for his constant complaining and was booked for a reckless lunge at Danny Murphy in the match.

I think in their last game we saw Man United in their true colours - cocky, arrogant, bad-tempered, contemptuous of officials, and becoming a bunch of cry-babies when things don't go their way.

The United brats are so used to having success that they can't handle it when things go against them. They have a manager who is a belligerent, catankerous pig - and it seems to rub off on their players.

No player at United typifies this appalling arrogant attitude more than Wayne Mark Rooney.

Edited by Anti Euro Smiths Fan

This is what Rooney apparently thinks of the people he grew up with - he says that he hates them and he wants to burn them. What a charming man he is.

Completely agree with most of your post. However, your complaining about Rooney hating Scousers and singing them sort of chants. Then aren't most footballing fans the same. I've been bought up hating Burnley and i'll admit that I do, i've also joined in the same chants that are anti-Burnley. Does that make us all similar to Rooney?

It's only natural that someone dislike/hates their rivals. Ask most Rovers fans and they'll say the same, they hate Burnley.

That does suggest to me that Rooney has come to terms with the deficiencies of his upbringing in Liverpool and is making solid progress in establishing a more cultured aspect to his outlook on life .

Well done , Wayne ......

Rooney grew up a blue-nose therefore its only natural that he hates liverpool. Thats normal, like the others say, its rivalry!

I do agree he needs to control his temper more, however he doesnt want to take that out of his game - its what makes him such an exciting player to watch.

He once paid £320 for a Mars Bar in a newsagents in his home town of Gateshead, then told the shop owner to spend the change on sweets for local kids.

Prove it.

Edited by Tugay4England

Prove it.

Hello Neil,

The story was in that well-known bible of Alan Nixon's - The Mirror.

I can provide a link to a piece about it in June 2008. Nine months later there's been no indication that Paul Gascoigne has sued or is intending to sue the Mirror for printing something false about him.

If Gazza does successfully sue the Mirror for wrongly printing that he paid £320 for a Mars bar then I'll be the first person to come on here and say that the incident didn't happen.

But until there's successful legal action from Mr Gascoigne then I'm assuming that the story was correct. Unless of course you think that Mr Nixon's newspaper knowingly prints lies - what a shocking terrible thought Neil.

A link below - scroll down the page a bit. You could have course e-mail the editor of the Mirror and ask him to "prove it".

LINK

I don't mind a bit of temper, it's shows a strong desire to win. Maybe this is why he is our only genuine world class player. Rooney was ill advised of course to throw the ball as he did but I can understand his frustration and it would have been easily forgiveable if he had not been on one yellow already. The fact he was does display a certain stupidity. At least

1. Fergy's man management has at least stopped him punching opponents.

2. The ref has a 'Rooney Red' on his cv.

I don't mind a bit of temper, it's shows a strong desire to win. Maybe this is why he is our only genuine world class player.

Steven Gerrard would probably have something to say about that on current form. I wonder if Capello can get those two to work up front together? Bizarre combination - niether are strikers really, but it could have benefits. And all our "proper forwards" are very average.

• Guest featured and unfeatured this topic

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.