BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

The Convicts Return

Timmy

Just got back - great game. Queued from 8 this morning and didn't get in until half 9 - apparently thousands were turned away.

It was a terrific atmosphere and very, very tense at the end - just a shame we couldn't finish it off. Fair play to Ponting for a brilliant knock but I really thought we were going to do it.

Probably get sacked tomorrow but I guess it was worth it! biggrin.gif

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Awesome test match, just lacked a fairy tale ending like a harmy yorkie last ball flattening the stumps. I agree with that artical about the prem season being a bit of an intrusion(i never thought i would say such a thing but it's true?) Hopefully we can do enough to get the ashes back but i've got a sneaky feeling its gonna be 2-2

Can't praise both sets of players enough, both skippers lead from the front and made it into a enthrauling 5 days.

Long live cricket!

Here's the comparison:

Tenner in for 6 hours works out at approx. £1.50 per hour, compared with Prem footie at £15.00 per hour. Now I know the 5th day was 'premium' sport and a one off, but footie is way uncompetitive by a long way. Compare £10 Espanyol - anyone there BRISA?

339321[/snapback]

Just got back from the test. Had a quality time, the atmosphere under the replay screen where we were sat was amazing. Never been to a proper test match before but definatly want to go again. 8 hours of entertainment for a tenner, you can't argue with that!

339276[/snapback]

twas a brillaint atmosphere in that section

saw grooby at the match

and loads of other rovers fans

What a difference a day makes. If the poms had won, they could have pinched the ashes in the next test. However, thanks to Aussie grit and determination, a win at Trent Bridge for the green and gold will make it impossible for the poms to do the unthinkable.

Well played Ponting.

I'm very tired this morning.

This is the best series I've seen since India beat Australia 2-1 back in 2000. Like that series, it is a fantastic advert for Test cricket, and from an English perspective, it puts the national team squarely in the spotlight.

I agree with almost everything mentioned in that BBC article. Cricket is still a 'sport'. Despite being professionals, they still treat the game with respect, and realise that you don't have to sell your sould to the devil and win at all costs to be a hero.

England have a strong, settled team. It will be interesting to see what changes the Australian selectors make. Every Aussie batsman (except Ponting) failed again..although I did sleep through some of the dismissals so I'm not sure how many of them got great deliveries, vs. how may threw their wickets away.

I think there will possibly be three changes, Gillespie, Hayden and Katich out

I would like to see the Hussey boys and Tate in

I think that Ponting has shown what needs to be done. Settle and play a reserved game and build a bloody innings. I still think the English will falter when under some pressure. Other then the first test we haven't put them under any and it shows. I think the aussies have wrestled some momentum back and they will be a bit more dominant coming into the fourth.

All games washed out, then Lee doesn't get his wish to watch the fifth day at Old Trafford on his birthday  unsure.gif

321993[/snapback]

Well Lee, you got some of your birthday present...

...I suppose one extra wicket really would have capped it off for you!

Guest Kamy100

Superb performance by England. Not only in this test but also in the previous one. England have proved over the last 2 tests that whilist they respect the Aussie's they have no fear of them.

Yesterday just carried on the trend of gripping cricket, I have watched cricket all over the world and can never ever remember a series which has been so gripping, the only thing that comes close is the Aussie's visit to India in 2001. Basically it is the 2 best teams going toe to toe, there are no boring sessions just gripping stuff. Also good to see so many people interested in the game, just a great pity that just when the popularity is so high it will move to Sky.

As for the rest of the series it is difficult to predict. I think that the Aussie's will come back strong and England in the next test but feel that now England have the mental strength and cricketing ability to be able to cope with this and get on top one again. One thing is for sure there are going to be twists and turns before this series is over. Agree with another poster about football, it has become secondary to this series for me.

I'm amazed to read that people thought Australia actually had a chance of getting the target.

I don't think it entered the heads of any of the fans, certainly not where I was sat (in front of the scoreboard).

It was great to be a fan again, drinking beer, singing songs, sledging "highlights" and "Ali G" (scott will know who I mean as he was in the same section).

A brilliant day out, great value for money, I was so glad I decided to go.

Edited by Lee

Cricket is still a 'sport'.  Despite being professionals, they still treat the game with respect, and realise that you don't have to sell your sould to the devil and win at all costs to be a hero.

339332[/snapback]

Unlike their bosses who have took the Murdoch money without a thought for the long term future . Shame on the Government for allowing home tests to go to Sky .

True Phil, but C4 didnt want the first tranche of tests in a summer and instead only wanted teh second lot (ones in school holidays) also its because of them we have this stupid 6 oclock is simpsons time end.

As much as Id love it to be on normal TV sky will give the comittment to the cricket that it deserves, not some halfarsed compromise shoehorned in between the Simpsons.

I dont believe the Beeb even bothered for TV, still, theyve got TMS for all tests now, so I dont have to try and listen to talksports commentary

The decision wasn't made entirely for test cricket but also for county cricket. The extra millions of pounds is vital for the counties because apart from twenty20 games the crowds are non-existant, meaning no income apart from the counties who have test status grounds. Personally i would like to see cricket remain on channel 4 because i think there coverage is better than sky's. It would also mean more people get to watch it, which has certainly helped this Ashes series grip the whole nation because the whole nation has had chance to watch it! It's a shame there isn't more of a compramise

Basically if the ECB had accepted the next best offer other than Sky's it would have been for 40% less. This in turn would have been passed on to the clubs who would have suffered and it would have had a big knock on effect on the game. One of the biggest factors in the increase in cricket's mass appeal has been the 20/20 and where is that shown exclusively. Masses of new fans have come into cricket through this, many on this board so credit where it's due.

True Phil, but C4 didnt want the first tranche of tests in a summer and instead only wanted teh second lot (ones in school holidays) also its because of them we have this stupid 6 oclock is simpsons time end.

339498[/snapback]

is it?

Isnt that ICC rules?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.