[Archived] Psp

Guest Kamy100
Thinking of getting one

Anyone got one?

Are they any good??

Can you browse the web with it?

392044[/snapback]

Yes I got one last year.

It is very good. To be honest apart from Pro Evo and GTA there aren't that many good games, even Pro Evo though very good is not as good as the PS2 version because the controls are a bit fiddley. However some good games coming out in the next month including Football Manager Handheld. I use for the train journeys and have a 1GB memory card so can download movies onto it. It is a very good machine and will get better within the next 12 months as Sony have big plans for it.

As they are multi-region it is cost effective to import one (see below) although a stripped down version (without head phones and case) is available from Wednesday here in the UK for £150. But still I would import one of the snazzy new white PSPs (£142 from website below):

http://www.lik-sang.com/info.php?category=...oducts_id=7302&

Web Browser, you can but it is not the best feature due to lack of keyboard. Have used it in the past but not really a "killer" feature of the PSP.

I wouldn't touch an imported one with a barge pole. Stick to the English version mate, i've had mine since the day they launched in England and the console is brilliant. But with over-seas ones, you limit yourself as to what UMD films you watch, unless you buy a Japanese one which in terms of region coding is the same as us for films. If you buy a Yank one, you will not be able to watch European/UK UMD films on it. Plus you have no warranty with overseas imports in regards to the PSP, Sony will not fix it if it is imported. It clearly says on the box, not to be exported.

Guest Kamy100
I wouldn't touch an imported one with a barge pole. Stick to the English version mate, i've had mine since the day they launched in England and the console is brilliant. But with over-seas ones, you limit yourself as to what UMD films you watch, unless you buy a Japanese one which in terms of region coding is the same as us for films. If you buy a Yank one, you will not be able to watch European/UK UMD films on it. Plus you have no warranty with overseas imports in regards to the PSP, Sony will not fix it if it is imported. It clearly says on the box, not to be exported.

392110[/snapback]

Well I am the opposite. I got mine from Japan in February last year. Had no problems with it whatsoever, you can watch UMD's from the UK as we are the same region as Japan. The money you save is worth it alone, plus using reputable import websites such as Lik Sang and Playasia give you the added piece of mind that if there are problems they will help sort them.

The UMD format doesn't seem to have much of a future for movies, so you might as well buy the cheapest import you can find (unless you really want to pay £20 to watch American Pie on a tiny screen). It's doomed to go the way of pre-recorded Minidiscs.

Gameswise, well, I only use mine for the internet at the moment - it's perfect for browsing Gamefaqs while I'm playing decent games on a proper console. GTA was amazing, for 30 hours or so, but there's not much else. I'll keep waiting for Vice City or something like that. In all, PSP is not the best purchase I ever made.

The UMD format doesn't seem to have much of a future for movies, so you might as well buy the cheapest import you can find (unless you really want to pay £20 to watch American Pie on a tiny screen). It's doomed to go the way of pre-recorded Minidiscs.

Gameswise, well, I only use mine for the internet at the moment - it's perfect for browsing Gamefaqs while I'm playing decent games on a proper console. GTA was amazing, for 30 hours or so, but there's not much else. I'll keep waiting for Vice City or something like that. In all, PSP is not the best purchase I ever made.

392233[/snapback]

SO you can browse the net? I heard there was no web browser

Guest Kamy100

With the latest firmware updates (2.0 and 2.5) they added the web browser elements to the system. They have a major plans to add a whole host of cool features in the upcoming update.

The browser is a bit slow and the text entry (via a phone-style virtual keypad) is the clunkiest thing ever, but it's great for text pages. This site looks a bit of a mess (some sigs are wider than the PSP's screen) and you get an 'out of memory' error on a lot of the more complicated sites.

I do like the updateable firmware feature - my PSP now does loads more stuff than it did when I got it. Less charitable people might say Sony released it before it was finished.

Here's my mini review of the PSP, by me.

Good things:

- GTA makes a two-hour train journey seem like five minutes

- It looks impressive

- One day, somebody might make a great game for it that isn't a stripped-down PS2 conversion

- Battery life much better than you'd imagine

Bad things:

- Play it for an hour, and you will never, ever remove the finger grease and scratches from the front

- If you drop it, it's dead

- The shiny, reflective screen is no good outdoors

- And if you do ever whip it out in public, you might as well have 'MUG ME' tattooed on your face

- Loading...please wait

Verdict:

- Too expensive for what it is, and packed with features that are either half-functional (internet) or not entirely practical (plug in some headphones and it becomes the world's heaviest, least durable MP3 player)

7 out of 10

Thankyou

- If you drop it, it's dead

- And if you do ever whip it out in public, you might as well have 'MUG ME' tattooed on your face

392329[/snapback]

I've dropped mine a couple of times, it's quite sturdy. As for the mugging thing, i've used it around Lancaster and when walking to the car from Ewood and i've never had any problems.

Well i live in Hull and if i whipped either one of my PSP's out i might as well have just shouted, "Come get a free PSP" it wouldn't last five minutes. But then again, someone would mug ya for a biscuit in Hull.

Use hotukdeals.com to get the code for the £20 off HMV voucher, this gets the base pack down to £129.99. You can get the 1 gb memory stick at buy it now on ebay for £29.99. so a total of £159.98 excuding the games. I'd be inclined to do it this way and get the games you want seperately

I've dropped mine a couple of times, it's quite sturdy

392377[/snapback]

You were lucky. It's got moving parts and a laser lens and everything.

At the Nintendo store in New York they've got an old Game Boy that was supposedly bombed in the first Gulf War. It looks like a toasted marshmallow but it's still going, playing the Tetris cartridge that was melted into the slot.

That's what I want from a handheld - bulletproofabilityness.

Whats point of all the faffing about when ive got it already offered, virtually brand new?

And I dont use ebay, I hate it.

392626[/snapback]

I suppose I just like the guarantee of buying new so I can return it if I have any problems. Just thought it was easier to buy the whole lot new for the same price as you have been offered it second hand for.

Could also use at as a bartering tool to get the price down

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.