BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Connecting An Xbox 360 To An Hd Tv

Right, I am trying to connect my xbox 360 to an hd tv but I simply don't appear to have the same connectors on my tv that they list in the instructions. My main connection for HD is a DVI-I but this seems to require a red, green and blue connectors and I just don't have those. Help.

Edited by Eddie

Whats the deal then Eddie, did the new cable not help? Are you not using the new cable that has the red, green and blue connectors?

Check this out - Click

Mainly the bottome that says - A Note about DVI and HDMI. There are links in here for cables that it seems to think you need.

I cant help more than this as I dont have a 360 or a HD TV however, if you still have problems I will let you have my address and you can send them to me for testing. I can let you have the 360 back around November when the PS3 comes out but the HD TV might get lost in the post :ph34r:

Eddie, There are two types of cable for the xbox360 which will provide HD outputs. The first one is the component cable, which is the red, green and blue composite connections. This cable is the one that comes with the Premium pack and most HDTV have this type of input.

The second type is a VGA Cable which again some HDTV's have but it also alows you to connect to a standard computer monitor.

Now, if you've only got a DVI input on your TV, I think your best bet is to get the VGA cable and buy a VGA-DVI adaptor.

Why the 360 doesn't support HDMI is anybody's guess.

Heheh. I'm getting my CP's and MI's crossed. Actually, I'm not qualified to comment since my 360 is hooked up via composite. It gives Ghost Recon the authentic 'fog of war' look.

Mainly the bottome that says - A Note about DVI and HDMI. There are links in here for cables that it seems to think you need.

I cant help more than this as I dont have a 360 or a HD TV however, if you still have problems I will let you have my address and you can send them to me for testing. I can let you have the 360 back around November when the PS3 comes out but the HD TV might get lost in the post :ph34r:

It is on its way, but as you point out, the post can sometimes be unreliable, so don't blame me if it doesn't get there.

In the end I'm using the VGA with HDMI adapter and that is working, hopefully they'll come out with a solution for HDMI sometime soon.

Thanks for the help.

Oh and biddy, as you seem to be in the know, is it right that my tv is recognising that as a pc connection rather than an hd connection?

Edited by Eddie

Eddie,

Not sure about the answer to that question as TV's will differ in what they report and I personally use the component cables rather than VGA.

It could be that the digital HDMI socket is detecting the Analogue VGA signal and therefore reporting that a PC is connected (as that would be the norm for VGA).

As long as you have the 360 set to 1080i or 720p in the dashboard and the TV is reporting the same signal (usually an info button gives this on screen) then you are getting the correct display from the xbox. If your TV reports 576p then it is downscaling the signal back to an Standard Definition picture. I don't think it will be doing that as PC's can output HD resolutions quite happily so the TV should just be accepting the signal.

It is on its way, but as you point out, the post can sometimes be unreliable, so don't blame me if it doesn't get there.

In the end I'm using the VGA with HDMI adapter and that is working, hopefully they'll come out with a solution for HDMI sometime soon.

Thanks for the help.

Oh and biddy, as you seem to be in the know, is it right that my tv is recognising that as a pc connection rather than an hd connection?

The 360 doesn't support HDMI 'yet'. VGA is the best option at the moment anyway. Your TV will reconise it as a PC but it'll be High Definition. Other than VGA it's the Component cable, which I've found to not be as sharp, though in some cases the colours are more vibrant.

check out the forums here for more help, look in hardware, lot's pf experts visit the site ;)

http://www.oxm.co.uk

Edited by Dan5678

Have u flipped the switch on the cable to hdtv instead of tv :)

because it will be still sending the images threw the yellow(tv) cable instead of the green/red/blue(hdtv)

Might sound stupid but it can easily be done

Edited by thebigguy

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.