BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

New Games/General Gaming

33 minutes ago, DE. said:

How long would you say you need to play before it starts getting a grip on you? I'm a few hours in and not majorly excited to jump back in, but I'll keep going if it eventually gets good. 

Sadly, if you're already a few hours in and not enjoying it, you might struggle.

The game is obviously heavily driven by the combat system and you're going to need to undertake a lot of hunts to gain exp, ap and cash and even though you can unlock new abilities, the combat system doesn't change.

The enemies get bigger and tougher and I would try and plough on until you experience at least one summon as they are pretty spectacular.

I thought the story was solid enough as well but when you hit an open world section to explore and take in side quests, the story obviously stops. 

Where abouts have you got to?

• Backroom
36 minutes ago, davulsukur said:

Sadly, if you're already a few hours in and not enjoying it, you might struggle.

The game is obviously heavily driven by the combat system and you're going to need to undertake a lot of hunts to gain exp, ap and cash and even though you can unlock new abilities, the combat system doesn't change.

The enemies get bigger and tougher and I would try and plough on until you experience at least one summon as they are pretty spectacular.

I thought the story was solid enough as well but when you hit an open world section to explore and take in side quests, the story obviously stops. 

Where abouts have you got to?

It's not that I'm not enjoying it, I'm just not blown away by it either. It seems to be following the typical FF formula without taking too many risks, which is fine but I've already played so many JRPG's that use the same premise that it becomes less interesting over time. 

I'm currently on Chapter 3 I think? I'm doing the Deadeye sidequest at the moment. 

• Backroom

I'll keep at it then. Unfortunately I've come to realise the English subtitles are just subs for the English VAs, which means it's often totally different to what the Japanese VA is saying. I'm no expert when it comes to speaking Japanese but even an amateur like me can pick up when entire words and phrases are being missed out. Still, English voice acting in games tends to bug me so I'll probably just stick with the Japanese voices and try to fill in the blanks. 

Anyone got any game recommendations? I'm on Xbox One (I know, I know) playing Shadow of War at the moment but just looking for the next one.

Open to anything apart from pure racing games.

I'm actually considering swapping the xbox for a ps4 just to play some playstation exclusives like spiderman, uncharted and Gods of war, worth it?

Edited by davulsukur

• Backroom

PS4 is definitely worth it. It's a great system with a ton of amazing games, and you can pick one up for a very reasonable price these days. Still probably a couple of years until the PS5 comes out, and new systems nowadays always take a year or two before they have enough games worth buying. A lot of the time the games are still better when released for the older system as the developers know the architecture of the previous system far better than the newer one. Also if you sign up for PS Plus you get a bunch of games free every month which is a pretty sweet deal. Most of them are pretty old but I've got games like Destiny 2 and Gravity Rush free from PS Plus, so, it's still really good. 

That said, I'd still keep the XB1. The backwards compatibility on that thing is awesome, so many great XBOX and XBOX 360 games to go back to. It's the one area it absolutely destroys the PS4 on. That said I've heard the PS5 will be fully backwards compatible with the PS4 and possibly PS3 too, but as aforementioned you'll probably be waiting a couple of years for that.

As for recommended games, I would say Persona 5 but it isn't on XB1 so that's a no go unless you get a PS4. Most of the other new games I get these days are Oculus or PSVR, so I'm not much help in that regard!

49 minutes ago, DE. said:

PS4 is definitely worth it. It's a great system with a ton of amazing games, and you can pick one up for a very reasonable price these days. Still probably a couple of years until the PS5 comes out, and new systems nowadays always take a year or two before they have enough games worth buying. A lot of the time the games are still better when released for the older system as the developers know the architecture of the previous system far better than the newer one. Also if you sign up for PS Plus you get a bunch of games free every month which is a pretty sweet deal. Most of them are pretty old but I've got games like Destiny 2 and Gravity Rush free from PS Plus, so, it's still really good. 

That said, I'd still keep the XB1. The backwards compatibility on that thing is awesome, so many great XBOX and XBOX 360 games to go back to. It's the one area it absolutely destroys the PS4 on. That said I've heard the PS5 will be fully backwards compatible with the PS4 and possibly PS3 too, but as aforementioned you'll probably be waiting a couple of years for that.

As for recommended games, I would say Persona 5 but it isn't on XB1 so that's a no go unless you get a PS4. Most of the other new games I get these days are Oculus or PSVR, so I'm not much help in that regard!

Ha,I was worried you were going to say that!

I might look into it then. A mate of mine has a ps4 and we've often thought it would be a good idea to trade consoles for a bit. Might be a good idea.

On 11/02/2019 at 20:49, DE. said:

I couldn't believe it when I found out the PS4 wasn't backwards compatible. 

Nintendo are the worst, they want you to buy everything again and again. I don't like that, although having said that I did buy Starfox 64 and Majoras mask on the Wii U

On 09/02/2019 at 19:21, davulsukur said:

Anyone got any game recommendations? I'm on Xbox One (I know, I know) playing Shadow of War at the moment but just looking for the next one.

Open to anything apart from pure racing games.

I'm actually considering swapping the xbox for a ps4 just to play some playstation exclusives like spiderman, uncharted and Gods of war, worth it?

I only have a PS4 and I think the best game on that Bloodborne is an exclusive 

Have you played GTA 5? 

Pyre is a nice little game, but I don't think it is for everyone. It's a sports RPG 

• Backroom
5 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I couldn't believe it when I found out the PS4 wasn't backwards compatible. 

Nintendo are the worst, they want you to buy everything again and again. I don't like that, although having said that I did buy Starfox 64 and Majoras mask on the Wii U

PS4 not being backwards compatible does suck, but in Sony's defence it hasn't stopped them from dominating the market over the past few years. Also retro gaming wasn't as big in 2013 as it is now, so I think the sudden surge of interest will play a part in Sony making the PS5 backwards compatible. Plus the shitload of amazing games that have come out for the PS4. I'll be keeping mine either way, as I do with all my old consoles :) 

• Backroom

PS Store sale on at the moment. Ended up picking up Tales of Berseria, Tales of Zestiria and Disgaea 5. Not really heard of any of them before but they have good reviews, so will get around to them at some point in the distant future.

On 23/02/2019 at 19:51, DE. said:

PS Store sale on at the moment. Ended up picking up Tales of Berseria, Tales of Zestiria and Disgaea 5. Not really heard of any of them before but they have good reviews, so will get around to them at some point in the distant future.

Did you finish Persona 5? 

• Backroom
1 hour ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Did you finish Persona 5? 

Yeah I finished it twice in fact, I've played nearly 200 hours on it overall. Up there with my favourite ever games, which I wasn't expecting when I bought it!

• Like 1

• Backroom
20 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Sold!

I hadn't heard of Disagea either, but it looks interesting. I was a big fan of Vandal hearts on the PS1 and it looks similar. 

I've never really played tactical role playing games so it'll be interesting to get into. Right now I'm doing another play through of FF7, so it'll have to wait until that's done. No idea how many times I've gone through that game but it's at least once a year since 1998! 

14 minutes ago, DE. said:

I've never really played tactical role playing games so it'll be interesting to get into. Right now I'm doing another play through of FF7, so it'll have to wait until that's done. No idea how many times I've gone through that game but it's at least once a year since 1998! 

What are you playing it on?