BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Shaun Wright Phillips

Sell MPG to Spurs, and use the cash to buy SWP

That's ridiculous.

If spurs had enough cash to give us in order to buy SWP they would just buy SWP themselves. Plus there is absolutely ni chance they will stump up for Gamst nowas he is not looking like a decent aquisition at the moment.

Shaun Wright Phillips here? More chance of Beckham coming. Our need in that area is not great enough to splash that kind of cash.

Very true. Beckham is just, and only just, a realistic target simply because he is going to be cheap in terms of a fee, we have Hughes and we would give him a prominent starting role (although obviously a number of other clubs could do that too). We have no chance of getting SWP- not enough money, not enough pulling power (what's Hughes to SWP?).

SWP better than Bellamy Exiled rover? Different as chalk and cheese - SWP is a head down runner, Bellamy is a footballer of the top order.

You mustn't fall into the trap of judging SWP by his Chelsea showings. He just hasn't fitted in and the fact he is in and out of the team isn't helping him perform. He wouldn't be the first classy player to sign for Chelsea and hardly excel to their max - Damien Duff or Chris Sutton...to mention two familiar names.

SWP a head down runner? Do you remember his left foot 25 yard thunder-bolt against Villa? Some of the goals he scored for Man City were stupendous and he showed he was capable of playing right-wing back, right wing and even played up front under Kevin Keegan.

I assure you, when (if) SWP moves on, he will reassert himself as one of the foremost talents in this country.

His diffident nature is probably what is holding himself back at Chelsea, as he desperately jockeys for some breathing space amongst the egos and reputations.

Den is correct, Wright-Phillips stood out in a poor Man City team, but I wouldn't expect to see too many more of these 25 yard screamers he did, I think that season was a one off (it was only one season).

He is a head-down dribbler, he also has such an awkward dribbling style that it makes me cringe. He seems to scoop the ball from behind him with every step. I prefer Bentley as the long-term prospect to be honest, Wright-Phillips is all about pace and defenders will soon learn how to deal with him, if they haven't already. Bentley is just discovering what he can do with his talent and is certainly more useful to us with Emerton overlapping, who would become anonymous again should SWP come in. Edit: Which, of course, is as likely to happen as Henry arriving at Ewood.

Edited by LeChuck

I assure you, when (if) SWP moves on, he will reassert himself as one of the foremost talents in this country.

His diffident nature is probably what is holding himself back at Chelsea, as he desperately jockeys for some breathing space amongst the egos and reputations.

I have the feeling that this "diffident" nature will hold him back at any of the top clubs . Bellamy has a similar problem with his "opposite to diffident" nature .

I'm with Den and co that Bellamy is a far better player with greater potential .

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.