BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Crisis?

Does the word crisis mean something else in broad scouse? http://www.tribalfootball.com/article.php?id=59793

One home draw and it's 'crisis' time! Pathetic aren't they? I suggest that crisis be simply replaced with 'failing to reach wildly overblown pre-season expectations'. Again!

The main reason imo being a Peter Kay lookalike whose tinkering and man management is abysmal. Plus an increasingly desperate press and media that have annually over egged the scouse pudding by brainwashing all and sundry that Lpool are up there with the other 3 properly succesful 'big' clubs. Benitez has been overrated and imo will be lucky to see the season out ... unless Torres (and equally likely Peter Crouch) can somehow rescue his self-imposed situation.

The main reason imo being a Peter Kay lookalike whose tinkering and man management is abysmal.

:)

I wouldn't argue with that point Gord, but I just wonder whether the link below might also partly explain some of Liverpool's disappointing recent results.

Liverpool's assistant manager leaves after bust-up with Benitez

Xabi Alonso has come out of the woodwork and said that he's very disappointed with the departure of his fellow Spaniard Pako Ayesteran. It seems from the above article as if tensions have been brewing within the club for some months. I wonder whether Benitez perhaps thought that Pako (am I allowed to say that word?) was getting too close to some of his players. Pako's departure doesn't seem to have gone down too well with some of the players at the club.

Liverpool's 1-0 defeat at home to Marseille was described by Benitez afterwards as the worst performance he's had at Anfield. While on Sunday Rafa was scathing in his criticism of Liverpool's defenders during their 2-2 draw at home to Spurs. An insipid 0-0 draw at home to Birmingham a couple of weeks ago indicates that all isn't completely well at Anfield. It doesn't seem to be a happy ship at the moment.

Please let this be a slow boiler so Rafa is still in charge when they come to Ewood.

However a defeat at Goodison for Liverpool this week-end and who knows what will happen.

By the time they come to Ewood he will have given in and be playing Torres/Gerrard every week - which is a shame because thats the first game I am getting to this year

Benitez has fallen into the same trap as Jol. Signing too many good players and putting pressure on himself to give all a game.

Where as Jose got it right by signing too many good players but still only playing the ones he liked :rolleyes:

There is absolutely no way that Benitiez will lose his job this season. Maybe in close season, but even then, he will have had to have cocked up pretty bad, I reckon.

If Benitex played Torres and Gerrard on a regular basis and if he had have signed anotehr top quality winger during the summer, Liverpool would be up there with the likes of Arsenal and Manchester UTD right now.

Any amount of misery that can be heaped upon Liverpool FC and/or their fans is fine with me. Those idiot fans think they are entitled to everythign given past tragedies and past glories. Let them taste the sting of missing out on the Champions League (even though they'll be let in from all the whingeing) this year. I just don't see how you expect to win with Steve Finnan in their day in and day out and the rest of the squad is a practice in musical chairs...

• 3 weeks later...
One home draw and it's 'crisis' time! Pathetic aren't they?

Angry Liverpool fans bombarded radio station phone-ins on Wednesday night Gordon, following Besiktas's 2-1 win over the Merseysiders. Liverpool are currently at the bottom of their Champions League group and face an uphill task to qualify for the knockout stages of the competition.

Whilst the performance against Besiktas wasn't as shambolic as their defeat at home to Marseille a few weeks ago, Liverpool fans are nevertheless perturbed by their results this season.

"It's time to get rid of Rafa. He hasn't got a clue. Benitez has taken us as far as he can," were some of the comments on the radio from Scouse supporters after Wednesday's defeat.

To be fair to Benitez, he has reached two Champions League finals in the last three seasons. However they are going through a sticky spell this season. (Or should I say a "crisis" according to their fans.)

As I mentioned a couple of weeks ago on this thread - I do feel that the seemingly acrimonious departure of assistant manager Pako Ayesteran has exposed divisions within the club and Anfield doesn't seem to be a harmonious place at the moment. A few of the big name players, or as Gordon puts it - the Billy Big-Times - are not performing to their proper capabilities at the club.

To be fair to Benitez, he has reached two Champions League finals in the last three seasons. However they are going through a sticky spell this season. (Or should I say a "crisis" according to their fans.)

As was stated before when discussing Liverpool under Benitez, two somewhat lucky cup runs shouldn't be the only thing there for a club that spends the amount that they do. Finishing 4th would be like us finishing 13-16th, keeps us in the league we want, but isn't exactly going to excite anyone.

jimmy case laid into the players and management style yesterday on talkshite,it was true what he said though ,he said the rotation system is bad for moral because using the excuses of tiredness in this day and age is balony and that they played as many games back then as they do now and the advancement of "tired" treatments and diets etc should mean the modern players play more not less...I rememeber rovers playing good friday and then easter saturday imagine the modern manager or players doing it now,when i played sunday mornings come the end of the season we would play 3 nights running after a days graft as well.

He also said the reason houllier and rafa find it hard is the backroom people and the ex players all over the ground and critisising the way things are....

Footballs a confidence thing and for players like Torres or Crouch to be scoring regularly and then benched is confidence 'flattening'. Any striker worth his salt wants to top the prem scoring charts and not just the teams. Sitting on the bench dispells that straight away and ultimately breeds resentment. Not only among the players either .... think how their agents must be reacting?

Rem the telephone numbers that we were talking Benni's value up to be in summer? Well at Lpool if Bellamy's anything to go by he'd prob not have chalked up more than a dozen.

No way would a top scorer bang on form be dropped at Old Trafford for important Prem games thats for sure.

That's the thing that amazes me, if you are looking at the blueprints for success for the premiership it obviously doesn't involve massive squad rotation. Ferguson doesn't change his team much when he doesn't have to through injuries or suspension and even Mourinho, despite liking to rotate his large squad to a certain degree, would always keep the core the same and returned to his trusted team for the big games. I just get the feeling with Benitez that he is too hard-headed for his own good. Everyone knows he likes to rotate his squad and now he is putting in an extra effort to do it so that if it works he will have been shown to have been correct.

He also said the reason houllier and rafa find it hard is the backroom people and the ex players all over the ground and critisising the way things are....

errrrm, like jimmy case for example?

nobody on here should worry themselves about liverpools misfortunes?

remember a few years back when they finished 5th and UEFA discovered a long forgotten rule to allow them to enter the "champions" league?

the same will happen again next year if they finish 19th (oh, we can but hope)

Benitez is told: "Win us the Premiership"

Co-owner Tom Hicks says: "This squad should be winning things. If it doesn't we'll have to look at the circumstances and have a meeting at the end of the year to understand what happened."

If Liverpool finish the season empty-handed, one wonders whether the end of season "meeting" will result in Rafa's dismissal ?

• 2 months later...

Liverpool owner Tom Hicks tells of "pouting" Benitez.

I suspect there are still some tensions between the manager and the American owners and the speculation over Benitez's future will continue for some time.

On a different note, apparently Sam Allardyce recently gave a "Crisis, what crisis?" speech to the media. Although talk of a "crisis" might be overstating things, nevertheless when you have the Newcastle fans baying for the manager's blood on a regular basis and the scouse scumbag Joey Barton locked up and unable to play - it's fair to say that it's not currently a happy ship on Tyneside.

• 3 months later...

Liverpool could make it to the Champions League final again this season. But off the pitch the club is now frankly an absolute shambles. A civil war seems to have developed between the American owners Tom Hicks and George Gillett.

Gillett says that his relationship with Tom Hicks has sunk so low that it has become untenable. "This partnership has been unworkable for some time. When your public persona is more important than the facts, then it makes it very difficult to have a rational relationship," says Gillett.

Hicks is now calling for chief executive Rick Parry to resign from the board. Parry says that the attempts by Hicks to remove him from office are "offensive".

Gillett previously tried to offload his shares to Sheikh Mohammed from Dubai, but Hicks refused to allow the sale. Gillett said: "He threatened to block me selling to Dubai. I would say to people, choose your partners wisely."

Indeed. What a mess - and to think that just over a year ago when it was announced that Hicks and Gillett had taken over the club, Rick Parry had told the media: "This is a great day for Liverpool, our supporters and the shareholders. It is the beginning of an exciting new era for the club."

Just over a year later and Liverpool have got themselves into the situation now where Hicks and Gillett aren't talking to each other, there's been a botched attempt at replacing Benitez as manager with Jurgen Kilnsmann, the fans are constantly chanting for the Americans to go and now Hicks is trying to remove Rick Parry, who in turn says that the attempts to remove him are "offensive".

It just goes to show that the grass isn't always greener when you've got the possibility of being taken over by foreign owners. Sometimes new owners from abroad can actually make things a damn sight worse.

It's become a case now of complete boardroom turmoil at Liverpool. Traditionally over the years at Anfield dirty linen has never been washed in public in the way that's currently happening now with this pair of egotistical Americans who are fighting like alley cats. "Crisis, what crisis" eh Gordon?

Archived