BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] New Chief Scout

Rovers Annoucement

Rovers have announced Barry Whitbread as the latest addition to the back room staff after the recent departures.

Don't know much about him, Wiki says he was Singapore manager up to 98 and his son is Zak Whitbread who now plays for Millwall, previously of Liverpool.

Anybody know any more, like where he has been working for the last ten years?

Rovers Annoucement

Rovers have announced Barry Whitbread as the latest addition to the back room staff after the recent departures.

Don't know much about him, Google says he was Singapore manager up to 98 and his son is Zak Whitbread who now plays for Millwall, previously of Liverpool.

Anybody know any more, like where he has been working for the last ten years?

No doubt this will be the wrong appointment, what the hell is Ince doing appointing a former coach etc etc :mellow:

It looks like Barry was at Liverpool as academy head of recruitment. Presumably he will know Warnock.

No doubt this will be the wrong appointment, what the hell is Ince doing appointing a former coach etc etc :mellow:

It looks like Barry was at Liverpool as academy head of recruitment. Presumably he will know Warnock.

Also found a story linking him with the Chief Scout role at Bolton when Sammy Lee was there, presumably that didn't happen.

What i cant quite fathom is why are chief scouts seem attached to whoever the managers is of the time when surely they should be purely linked to the the club regardless of which managers come and go at the club.

Rovers long term strategy on this issue seems very very weak despite all the publicity of a new era in the scouting system at the club .

I'm also from Singapore, and as far as I'm concerned, this is very much the wrong appointment. The man was Mr Unpopular here for several years, until he won the ASEAN cup with a fluke goal that went in off the shoulder of a defender. He did not display much, if any, tactical nous and there's no suggestion that he had an eye for a player. What I know is that he went back to England and was with Liverpool in various staff roles, mainly in the academy.

The cheif scout doesn't need to be popular or a tactical genius. His eye for a player may have been poor when trying to select a Singapore XI.

Isn't also possible that he won't do most of the scouting, it will be the guys that work for him, he will probably set out the criteria for them to follow and probably needs to be well organised in order to present the best options to Ince and Williams.

I don't know what the role of chief scout is in the recent change of strategy that happened, so I could be wrong.

Correct, The Chief Scout is principally a manager, he sets out the planning and the criteria and vets the prospects according to his managers and the clubs priorities.

I find it bizarre that we are finding issue with ANOTHER one of Ince's decisiions without any basis of truth to back the allegations up with, for heavens sake give the new manager, and his staff the time we deserve.

Someone else posted "We are Rovers and NOT Newcastle!" NEVER a truer word spoke, Keep the faith!

I'm also from Singapore, and as far as I'm concerned, this is very much the wrong appointment. The man was Mr Unpopular here for several years, until he won the ASEAN cup with a fluke goal that went in off the shoulder of a defender. He did not display much, if any, tactical nous and there's no suggestion that he had an eye for a player. What I know is that he went back to England and was with Liverpool in various staff roles, mainly in the academy.

I am singapore too! And I totally agree with you guys! I was stunned when I saw his name. Other then he is mr unpopular, he really did a very bad job to our national side. And the fact is the player he choose is bad too! So how do you expect a guy like him to be a chief scout?????????? I wonder what Ince is thinking now.....

Hold on, Singapore are hardly a great footballing nation and the facts are that their ONLY trophy was won when Whitbread was in charge.

Facts are different to fiction.

Please try to remember he is chief scout, he is there to highlight potential talent, who was our previous one? whoever he was, I only saw crap.

Agents sent over Ryan and Chris.

Archived