BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Who Will Be Challenging For 4th

daren

After reading some of the stuff on nicko's thread, I was wondering this myself.

Keane and Torres have a way to go to form a partnership, and Liverpool can be shaky at times - it wouldn't take much to push them out of the CL. Arsenal's transfer activity has been curtailed by the lack of funds, so it's possible that they might have trouble too (and I rate Roque higher than Adebayor anyway).

Everton have had a miserable transfer window. I actually feel sorry for Moyes, nothing appears to be working for him.

Villa are exciting and explosive, but not really all that different from last year, when the had the capacity to be explosive and exciting, but still feel at some surprising hurdles.

Leaving us, about whom I make no predictions at all except to say that swapping Benni out and bringing in a good RW (like Joaquin in my opinion) would make us very strong, although I'd still like to see a better midfield enforcer than Moko.

So will t'Pool and/or L'Arsé slip back and if so, who will edge forward?

After reading some of the stuff on nicko's thread, I was wondering this myself.

Keane and Torres have a way to go to form a partnership, and Liverpool can be shaky at times - it wouldn't take much to push them out of the CL.

Wishful thinking I'm afraid.

11 points above Everton and Villa would have to turn round a massive 16 point difference to finish above Liverpool.

There's as much reason to believe that Rovers could finish fourth, - and that wont happen will it?

Looking at it in the cold light of day the teams who have arguably strengthened are:

Spurs (as always....)

Portsmouth

Villa (to a lesser extent)

Man City (only really bought Jo but he is good - although they look like they could fall apart)

That said none of those teams really look that good in terms of being cohesive units. Spurs look disjointed and lack a good holding player, and have an injury prone defence. Plus their supporters constantly undermine the team. Portsmouth have some cracking players but lack quality out wide. Villa, like Pompey, are extremeley reliant on pace and the counter attack which is often nuetered (as Pompey found at home last season) by teams playing defensively against you. Man City have got serious problems off the field which could actually force the club to be closer to relegation than Europe.

As far as Rovers go on paper we have been weakened by the sale of Bentley and (to a lesser degree) the Freidal/Robinson swapsies. But on the other hand a great asset of ours is that we do have a stable set of players, a stable backroom set up, and decent balance in the side. Last year on paper we should have finished leagues behind Spurs asnd Newcastle but it is not just the names you put down, we showed through being steady you can achieve a lot. That said crucial will be what sort of quality we add in the next ten days. Joaquin, Appiah and Ollic (for example) and suddently we look like real contenders if we maintain that stability which has seen us do so well.

My gut feeling is that the top four will stay the same again (booooooriiing!). If anyone is going to get close it will be Pompey or Spurs because they have the best squads.

I can see Rovers finishing sixth if we bring the right players in, and doing well in one of the cups. Sometimes I dream about fourth but I don't really believe it. But with a new manager you never know.

Also there will be one suprise package amongst the top half, always is. Boro are probably the dark horses this year

The only teams capable of finishing 4th this year is still Liverpool, Arsenal, Man Utd and Chelsea, the rest of the teams are nowhere near consistent enough to get near them and don't have the strength in depth.

The battle for 5th may well be a lot more interesting, any 1 of about 6 teams have a shot at that if they get a good run together and have some luck with injuries, teams such as Blackburn, Villa, Spuds, Portsmouth, Everton all have a chance, the likes of City, Boro and Newcastle will probably be just behind.

A sobering point that Liverpool only lost 4 games all season and had a goal difference of plus 39 last season.

If Liverpool are to be caught then they need to drop points at places like Sunderland.

Instead a much-strengthened Makems playing on a pitch where the ball was stopping never really threatened a very out-of-sorts Liverpool side.

Just don't see any of the chasers upsetting the big 4 but if theykeep their players healthy, there is no reason why Boro cannot get into the top 4 places for half a season.

A sobering point that Liverpool only lost 4 games all season and had a goal difference of plus 39 last season.

If Liverpool are to be caught then they need to drop points at places like Sunderland.

Instead a much-strengthened Makems playing on a pitch where the ball was stopping never really threatened a very out-of-sorts Liverpool side.

Just don't see any of the chasers upsetting the big 4 but if theykeep their players healthy, there is no reason why Boro cannot get into the top 4 places for half a season.

Boro? Really? I honestly cant see that. Good defense, centre backs in particular, but they will miss Young. Good strikers, I think Alves has the potential to get a boatload. Their midfield really lets them down for me. Very poor, no creativity with the exception of Downng who I think is very overated.

I do see the gap closing to be honest. Spurs will need time to blend, Man City well I've only seen them once but don't see it happening this year, based on that plus the result with Villa. Rovers we do need a couple of signings, Pompey have signed well, but still lack wingers. The ones with the best chance at the moment are Villa, but even then they lack up front and in the middles of the park (creative wise). Everton are weaker than last year, they'll be hard pushed to do better.

I can see the "chasing pack" taking more points of the likes of pool, and cannot believe there will be a 16 point gap this season.

I think spurs could be in trouble myself unless they sort out their front line.

Liverpool are still short wingers and it remains to be seen how well their defense does. I think there's an opportunity here, and that Sunderland were awful against them - absolutely NO threat for most of the game. I still think that they're by far the weaker of the top 4.

Not quite just the top four.. but hey..

Top:

Chelsea

Second:

ManU

Next two between:

Liverpool - They have not lost anyone but I just don't like team build they have at the moment

Villa - I really would not be suprised to see them fourth some nice signings in there

Arsenal - Just don't feel they have the strength in depth this season especially without a good holding midfielder

Then (any order):

Spuds (if they can land a decent defender or two and a new striker)

ManC - Unless they go broke or director is classed as unfit (does that doc them points.. not sure of the rules there)

Us - If we fix the midfield before the window closes

Then (any order):

Everton - Really going to struggle esp with a lack of signings

Newcastle - They looked allot better in defense in pre-season and first game

Middlesbrough - Allot depends on the kids there

Villa.

O`neill does not sign glamorous foriegn names ala spurs he takes hungry talented players,motivates them and gets them playing as a strong team,Similar to what cloughie used to do.

We Have brought 7 Good players in and have a few more to come.

As a life long villa supporter i am so excited about our team under o`neill,For me it is the best since the big ron era,Last season we scored tons of goals and look like we will do it again,But we also conceded too many which let us down in the end but this time we have a proper right back and a certain mr friedel in goal who will stop us falling at those suprising hurdles.

Bring it on.

Boro? Really? I honestly cant see that. Good defense, centre backs in particular, but they will miss Young. Good strikers, I think Alves has the potential to get a boatload. Their midfield really lets them down for me. Very poor, no creativity with the exception of Downng who I think is very overated.

I think Boro will have a very good season. I think Southgate is doing a very very good job there. He has a great chairman.

Villa are the only team getting anywhere near fourth.

Spurs are too inconsistent and can't defend.

Portsmouth squad is unbalanced.

Everton have troubles throughout.

City see Spurs, Portsmouth and Everton comments.

Villa.

O`neill does not sign glamorous foriegn names ala spurs he takes hungry talented players,motivates them and gets them playing as a strong team,Similar to what cloughie used to do.

As a life long villa supporter i am so excited about our team under o`neill,For me it is the best since the big ron era,Last season we scored tons of goals and look like we will do it again,But we also conceded too many which let us down in the end but this time we have a proper right back and a certain mr friedel in goal who will stop us falling at those suprising hurdles.

Bring it on.

IMO that's astounding optimism. i think you'll need score an unbelievable amount of goals, as your defence is suspect your defence is suspect (young, shorey, knight).

IMO that's astounding optimism. i think you'll need score an unbelievable amount of goals, as your defence is suspect your defence is suspect (young, shorey, knight).

I agree. IMHO the players that have come in at Villa are very very ordinary. As well as their defence I think their midield is average and they need a top class foward.

To be honest, i believe MON has been very shrewd in the market, you may think the players look average, stick them together and you have a team. I believe the squads outside of the top 4 lack the right depth, thats why i reckon it will be the same 4. then it'll be Spurs and Villa fighting for 5th, then i would see Rovers, Sunderland, Everton and Man City taking the remaining places.

Villa.

Bring it on.

It's always the same. "We get big crowds so we are a big club". "We've spent a lot on players so we'll do well". Spurs, Newcastle and now Villa. Since 81 you've been rubbish if you're such a big club. You need to get your feet on the ground. You're like us, 20 points off being a 'big' club. Sensible signings, sensible optimism and you might have a chance but like someone said above, Liverpool had a GD of +39 and lost only 4 games last season. I'll bet Villa lose 4 before christmas.

Not sure Villa will challenge for the champions league places, but Uefa cup again is in their reach.

If you look at their squad (got this off a Villa forum), it looks pretty small and lacking quality in some areas:

GK - Friedel, Taylor, Guzan

Def – L.Young, Shorey, Laursen, Davies, Cueller, Knight, Bouma, O'Halloran

Mid - Barry, A.Young, Petrov, Reo-Coker, Sidwell, Salifou, Routledge, Gardner, Osbourne

Forwards - Carew, Agbonlahor, Harewood, Delfouneso

Goalkeeping- They have Brad one of the best keepers in the league, but age may play a role this season. Can he keep injury free? How many players have we seen leave Rovers and suffer periods of injury that they didn't experience at our club? Is Guzan ready to play in the premier league if Brad gets injured?

Defense- Looks weak to me, i think they will miss Melberg and the injury to Bouma may play an impact. Knight, seems to get a lot of stick on other forums about his defensive qualities and that seems to back up what i've seen of him so far. Not sure on Young or Shorey, i think Emerton and Warnock are superior.

Midfield- Looks strong, but no right winger? I'm assuming this is an area they want to focus on before the transfer window. Barry might still go, Arsenal are sniffing around, this could have a serious impact on Villa's midfield.

Forwards- People may disagree with me but that forward line isn't that great. Harewood i don't particualrly rate, Carew is a bit injury prone and Agbonlahor is overrated and his goal record is poor.

They are a good side, who will challenge for the Uefa cup spots, but i can't see them making the top four. Their lack of depth, weak defense and style of football (counter attacking= better Away than at Home), I feel will prevent them from getting anywhere near those champions league places.

Not sure Villa will challenge for the champions league places, but Uefa cup again is in their reach.

If you look at their squad (got this off a Villa forum), it looks pretty small and lacking quality in some areas:

GK - Friedel, Taylor, Guzan

Def – L.Young, Shorey, Laursen, Davies, Cueller, Knight, Bouma, O'Halloran

Mid - Barry, A.Young, Petrov, Reo-Coker, Sidwell, Salifou, Routledge, Gardner, Osbourne

Forwards - Carew, Agbonlahor, Harewood, Delfouneso

Goalkeeping- They have Brad one of the best keepers in the league, but age may play a role this season. Can he keep injury free? How many players have we seen leave Rovers and suffer periods of injury that they didn't experience at our club? Is Guzan ready to play in the premier league if Brad gets injured?

Defense- Looks weak to me, i think they will miss Melberg and the injury to Bouma may play an impact. Knight, seems to get a lot of stick on other forums about his defensive qualities and that seems to back up what i've seen of him so far. Not sure on Young or Shorey, i think Emerton and Warnock are superior.

Midfield- Looks strong, but no right winger? I'm assuming this is an area they want to focus on before the transfer window. Barry might still go, Arsenal are sniffing around, this could have a serious impact on Villa's midfield.

Forwards- People may disagree with me but that forward line isn't that great. Harewood i don't particualrly rate, Carew is a bit injury prone and Agbonlahor is overrated and his goal record is poor.

They are a good side, who will challenge for the Uefa cup spots, but i can't see them making the top four. Their lack of depth, weak defense and style of football (counter attacking= better Away than at Home), I feel will prevent them from getting anywhere near those champions league places.

What cracks me up about this review, is in defence, Knight is their 4th choice. Davies Cuellar and Laursen look pretty strong to me. I think Young and Shorey are decent, not the world's best but not as bad as your making out. I don't think they'll finish 4th at all, but i think along with Spurs there the closest.

Arsenal will the weakest off the top four, Liverpool's Keane and Torres hit it off they will be the best strike force in the league,

The the problem with our league, the 2nd tier, No one team is much better than the rest so we just take points off each other, while the top 4 just take points of every one, it will be the same this year.

Silly question. but if there where 5 champion league spots would it turn into a top5 our would that give a chance to different team every year?.

Bad losses for both Villa and Spuds today - at least we managed a point!

Can someone explain - do Liverpool have a bloody leprechaun in a cage somewhere giving them luck pills or something? Boro had them, as many teams had them last season, but yet again they managed to wriggle out. Abysmal performance by them and they're ripe for the taking if teams play them with any conviction.

Can someone explain - do Liverpool have a bloody leprechaun in a cage somewhere giving them luck pills or something? Boro had them, as many teams had them last season, but yet again they managed to wriggle out. Abysmal performance by them and they're ripe for the taking if teams play them with any conviction.

But they always say the sign of a good side is being able to win without playing well, that's twice now this season, when Torres and Keane click and the rest of the team start playing well they'll comfortably be in the top four and in my opinion closer to the title than they were last year.

Bit like we were last season.

In the first couple of games, no teams other than Chelsea seem to be firing. Yes, it is only after two games, but Arsenal seem too lightweight, Liverpool have no width or imagination, and yet the teams people expect to make a move for 4th place Spuds, Portsmouth and to a lesser extent Aston Villa have been awful. Spurs look like they may have 1 striker and a sicknote defence, Portsmouth have not fired at all and Villa probably need someone with real skill and magic to go with their solid and quick players.

Hopefully this will continue for a bit, Berbatov stays at White Hart Lane like an eggy fart in a lift and the other teams struggle, leaving us to have a sniff if we sign a couple of good players.

Archived