BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Alan Curbishley Is First Manager To Leave

colbert

The world's gone mad, I tell ya!

We played our part no doubt a decade or more ago but the Eggman paying ludicrous wages for mediocre players was the main cause of Curbishley leaving. But anyway you lot should not moan about the world going mad and your lot but instead go down on your knees every night to thank the Lord for your good fortune that the Prem League are so weak, and at the same time beg eternal forgiveness from one half the city of Sheffield.

According to that article in the Independent RM it appaers that you are again being accused of 'bending' the rules. I bet every club wishes Trevor Brooking had played for them eh?

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
According to a report in today's Independent (not one of those disgusting right-wing tabloids that gets Colin and Paul Mellelieu's knickers in a twist) , apparently Alan Curbishley had an angry row with Hammers captain Lucas Neill, following their 4-1 win over Rovers.

Neill apparently told Curbishley that "the players have kept you in a job". Charming. What a nice man that Aussie is, on his 70 grand a week wages, keeping a manager in his job.

During the confrontation Lucas told Curbishley that he needed to do more to "inspire" his players.

No surprises that Craig Bellamy was also reportedly involved in an angry exchange as well. That little volatile Welshman could start a fight in an empty room....

Link to the story: Curbishley clashes with Lucas

I'm so glad this bloke is no longer at Rovers. I don't reckon he'd be able to run down the tunnel with a head this big!

So much for the comfort of keeping Curbs in his job after yet another defeat at WHam.

So much for getting two of the jammiest 4-1 wins back-to-back ever.

Still out on his ear!

I suspect Bilic won't go there, but won't be surprised to be proved wrong.

Joorabchian talks sense. West Ham must be hugely relieved at seeing the back of a Manager who objected to receiving a combined £14m for McCartney and Anton F

So what's Curbs' legacy?

Accumulating a bloated squad of hugely expensive 'stars' with little appetite for forming a winning team.

I was consoling myself after the West Ham defeat that at least, in defeat, we had perpetuated the dubious reign of Curbishley. The stories of Captain Neill clashing with Curbs brought solace to my pains.

Unfortunately, it now turns out that West Ham got the best of both worlds. A thumping victory and Curbs jettisoned. What could be better than that? After the initial hype that surrounded Curbs at Charlton it has become patently clear that he is a mediocre Premier League manager. He could possibly do a good job in the CHampionship but in the top league he is too cautious, charisma-deficient, dogmatic, with suspect judgement, to be the real deal.

I don't rate Curbishley as being in the top tier of managers but he seems like a genuine and straight forward guy and you have to have a lot of sympathy for him.
rover6's assassination excepted I think the majority of football fans would agree with RB's assessment of Curbishley. If he came to Rovers I wouldn't be over-joyed, neither would I be worried, a good safe pair of hands.

Kevin Keegan is always good for a laugh and we all enjoy a joke at his expense. But consider for a minute these are two real English football people, men who could be said to understand our game, who in the space of 48 hours are saying "enough is enough." Have a good laugh by all means but think about the implications. I'd argue the actions of Keegan and Curbishley speak volumes about the state of ENGLISH Premier League, as much if not more than the arrival of Abu Dhabi United. It isn't that funny when you really think about it.

Now where's that copy of Martin Buchan's Football World.............................. ;)

Tend to agree, Paul. John and I were talking about it this morning - seems to us we have much to be proud of at Rovers. A 'proper' football club, a well run family and community club.

Thanks to Jack Walker, a local lad and fan of the club, we have a three-quarters decent stadium which with a bit of foresight and initiative could see completed. A new ambitious manager and staff, and a few good youngsters are coming through from the Academy. Jack's investment in the club was because of his love of his home town and wish to give something back for his (hard work and) good fortune to the people he loved. He wasn't a fly-by-night playboy who is looking for his next conquest or 'must-have' toy. He made sure that Rovers should be provided for as far as he was able through the Trust.

Let the mega-rich enjoy their moment in the sun. They will get fed up and move on eventually, maybe sooner rather than later and could leave all sorts of mess behind . So what if they've got umpteen Champions League cups in the cupboard. Abramovich thought he had it sussed and now someone richer has turned up- ha! - will the new man's proposed team of super-super stars do the business?

And Rovers -well, what could have been better than that day in May at Anfield?

I'm sure Curbs is a genuine decent guy, Paul. In fact, he comes across as a decent bloke in interviews.

My swipe at him was for his managerial talent. He worked well in establishing Charlton but couldn't go any further. By the end the Addicks were relieved that he went because they couldn't take more second half of season collapses. And I am pretty sure that the West Ham fans are glad to see the back of Curbs too.

He just lacks something - or two. His transfer dealings were poor - the type we now associate with Roy Keane. Half-decent players signed for massive fees on massive wages. Curbs' was far from resourceful and was ready to sign players when their stock had peaked.

My estimation of Curbishley fell dramatically, as it did amongst certain Charlton fans, when he responded to the growing criticism about Radostin Kishishev, the left back, playing defensive midfield, by suggesting that the fans were too ignorant, in effect, to appreciate the off the ball work he was doing. I think it is well proved now that it was Curbishley who was wrong, not the fans, Kishishev was never a Premier League midfielder.

Ultimately, Curbishley's biggest weaknesse, imo, are his cautiousness and his man-management. Steve Brown, former Charlton centre back turned pundit, has repeatedly stated that his experience of working with Curbs was that the guy was too wary to change things and that he didn't express himself well to the players. That said, he did a blooming good job of getting Charlton to the Prem and holding them there.

(Just to add, Lucas Neill and Craig Bellamy are a pair of self-important twerps. I feel sorry for Curbs that it was that pair of egoists that clashed with him after the game because I don't think he'd have had much of a chance against the motor-mouthed prats).

We are certainly a bad omen for managers to leave early in the season.

Sturrock was sacked at Southampton a few years back after beating us in the previous Saturday and that was still August!

Last team Mourinho played against in the League also...

Bilic, Redknapp, Pearce and Balladini have all ruled themselves out. I want Di Canio. He may be a fascist, but he's a laugh.

Who in their right mind will take that job when someone else will persistently meddle in the management side of things?

Who in their right mind will take that job when someone else will persistently meddle in the management side of things?

Read one article yesterday that the sporting director N???(whatever), is very friendly with Di Canio. Maybe it will not be a problem with that relationship.

Having said that if a player can engineer a move, then it's easy for a club with there set up to do the same with the manager, West Ham, Newcastle alike for me. :D

How long did it take for Rovers to Interview a shortlist(6max) of managers.

God help them with there"s.

Paolo Di Canio has contacted West Ham about succeeding Alan Curbishley as the club's manager, according to his agent.

The 40-year-old Italian is a fans' favourite at Upton Park after spending four years as a player at the club.

A shortlist of 30 candidates has been drawn up for the job and Di Canio's agent Phil Spencer said his client would "love to be considered".

I have to say if I was a Hammer and they put him in charge I would not be best pleased at all. No experience at all in any aspect, Huge risk fans favourite or not.
He'd get a mixed response - The same sort of reaction that someone like Shearer would have got for us.

Personally, i think he'd be an awful choice (depending on what we're classifying as awful - I guess you could say it'd be fantastic, as it would definately benefit us)

As you say, fans favourite, and would draw the imagination of some of the fans, but massive, no, absolutely immense risk

Curbishley has a very good case against the club for breach of contract.

The worry now is that the board will asset strip and sell up. January will be a very telling time.

Have no idea who the next manager will be other than:

-He will be foreign

-Prepared to be a bit of a 'yes' man.

I was not a massive fan of he football we played under Curbs however it is clear that he has been screwed over. Indicative of football at the moment really. Rumours abound that we will be paying Sheff Utd a fair few quid fairly soon too.

The activities of the last few days at Man City, Us and Newcastle represent a sad chapter in the history of football that all of us, no matter which team we follow, will suffer negatively from.

The Sheff Utd case and Pardew's 'injunction' have resulted in some very bad press- we are a club in major turmoil.

I want Di Canio. He may be a fascist, but he's a laugh.

Blue Phil would be a good candidate for the job then.... :unsure:

Do you think there is a betting scam going on between Curbishly and Keegan???

Keegan makes out he is leaving, raising Curbishly's odds - Pair of them put loads of money on Curbishly and he walks out pocketing them a fortune???

When rumours first surfaced a few days ago that Keegan would be leaving Newcastle after just eight months in charge at St James' Park, over £450,000 was staked on Betfair at various odds that Keegan would be the first Premiership manager to go. The market is settled on the first Premiership manager to leave his job, irrespective of whether they resign or are sacked.

Obviously with Curbishley going a day earlier than Keegan, all the people who put money on Kevin Keegan would have lost their bets. But to answer your question Hannah, no I don't believe that there was a betting scam involving the pair of them.

It's possible, in different circumstances, that one manager on his own might be able to manipulate betting markets by getting a friend or associate to place bets, but I don't believe that two different managers like Keegan and Curbishley would be looking to make themselves extra money in this way.

Keegan probably had enough on his plate this week, in discussions with his lawyers and the Newcastle board about control over transfers, to be thinking about manipulating the betting markets.

When Harry Redknapp left Southampton in December 2005 to rejoin his old club Portsmouth, there were allegations of suspicious betting patterns on the market that Betfair had set up for the next Portsmouth manager.

A massive £16.5 million, a huge amount, was traded on that Betfair market for the Portsmouth job. I understand, from the link below, that the FA had talks with Betfair about the suspicious betting patterns for the Portsmouth job, but nothing was ever proven.

Link: Redknapp's return to Portsmouth sparks betting investigation

Redknapp is well known as being a man who likes having football bets - he's been given the nickname "Readies Redknapp" - but for legal reasons on this messageboard I should point out that there's been no proof of any wrongdoing by Redknapp in terms of placing bets.

However, Tom Bower's book "Broken Dreams" is recommended for further reading into Redknapp's character. The book alleges that 'Arry was paid £300,000 after Rio Ferdinand was sold from West Ham to Leeds.

Finally I should point out that contrary to a scandalous allegation by one board member on here, I don't believe that our good friend Alan Nixon did anything wrong at all in terms of bets on the Rovers manager job. :)

My swipe at him was for his managerial talent. He worked well in establishing Charlton but couldn't go any further. By the end the Addicks were relieved that he went because they couldn't take more second half of season collapses. And I am pretty sure that the West Ham fans are glad to see the back of Curbs too.

I don't think anyone can criticise him for his spells at Charlton. Granted the three managers in the season following didn't help, but one season after he'd resigned they were relegated.

At both Charlton and West Ham, Curbishley proved he was a very good manager on limited resources. Teams difficult to beat and always doing enough to not be sucked into the relegation battle. Unfortunately with the change of circumstance at West Ham this wasn't enough, he failed to adjust to a new set of expectations and paid the price.

Archived