BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Alan Curbishley Is First Manager To Leave

colbert

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't think anyone can criticise him for his spells at Charlton. Granted the three managers in the season following didn't help, but one season after he'd resigned they were relegated.

At both Charlton and West Ham, Curbishley proved he was a very good manager on limited resources. Teams difficult to beat and always doing enough to not be sucked into the relegation battle.

That's a fair point but I think you'd be hard pressed to find a Charlton fan who was desperately saddened Curbishley left them. Maybe, that's because footy fans are selfish and take such achievements as Prem survival for granted.

Curbishley did leave the CHarlton squad in dire straits. Kishishev - defensive midfield, I've mentioned.

It's so hard to correctly judge football players and managers, I have increasingly found - especially if you are not aware of the full context of their achievements. Take Steve Bruce for example. When he first arrived in the Prem, he was doing so well that the MAn U job was being talked of.

I think Bruce has as much chance of the United job as Brian Kidd now. His stock has plummeted and even a good showing with Wigan will do little to rekindle former status. Similarly, ALan Pardew seemed a rough-and-ready smarmy toe-rag with a gift for Premier League management. Not any more.

So many of these managers are having initial success in the Premier League and then falling away badly. WHich suggests, they aren't that good. It's the managers who go from strength to strength....Wenger, Fergie, Moyes?.... I think Hughes fits that bill, that are truly talented managers. There are too many chancers around who enjoy success from beginner's luck/1st season syndrome.

So many of these managers are having initial success in the Premier League and then falling away badly. Which suggests, they aren't that good. It's the managers who go from strength to strength....Wenger, Fergie, Moyes?.... I think Hughes fits that bill, that are truly talented managers. There are too many chancers around who enjoy success from beginner's luck/1st season syndrome.

I think its when they go to new clubs you truly see what they are made off. What worked at Charlton will not necessarily work at West Ham. Do too many mangers work on the basis "if its not broke don't fix it" in reference to their methodology. Fergie and Wenger are always looking for new idea's new input. Call it self development.

This job for Hughes at City will now define whether he is one of the best. good job at wales and very good job at Rovers, now he's got all the resources he needs (maybe) and we will see if he is a great. He will have to adapt, develop himself.

That's a fair point but I think you'd be hard pressed to find a Charlton fan who was desperately saddened Curbishley left them. Maybe, that's because footy fans are selfish and take such achievements as Prem survival for granted.

Curbishley did leave the CHarlton squad in dire straits. Kishishev - defensive midfield, I've mentioned.

So many of these managers are having initial success in the Premier League and then falling away badly. WHich suggests, they aren't that good. It's the managers who go from strength to strength....Wenger, Fergie, Moyes?.... I think Hughes fits that bill, that are truly talented managers. There are too many chancers around who enjoy success from beginner's luck/1st season syndrome.

Curbishley is not a great manager, however he is a decent enough one and your argument only works if we ignore some essential facts.

Firstly...the Charlton job. In his time there he eventually established them as a decent Premiership club. When he left they had a good enough squad to remain in the Premiership. Just because you mention Kishishev does not mean the rest of the squad was no good...you could just as easily mention the cases of Bruno Berner or Aaron Mokoena (and you do on a regular basis) to then castigate Hughes. Managers make mistakes as we all do. It should be remembered that Ian Dowie was given far more money to spend then Curbishley ever had and then went on to blow most of it on inferior players.

As for West Ham...when Curbishley took them over they looked dead and buried. Ultimately (and some suspiciously large slices of help from referees/the FA etc) they stayed up and then the next season finished in the top half. As for the bloated squad and wage bill...ultimately much of that is down to the owners as that seems to be the reason he left.

So...Curbishley is a good if unspectacular manager. Both clubs he has managed he has left in much better shape than when he took over. I do not really rate him too much as a manager but you are being far too harsh on him...there seems to be a lack of a spark or something with him - a bit like Steve Coppell - and he seems to be, again like Coppell, one of those kind of managers that keep playing down expectations to maybe make their job a little easier. Fans do not react well to being told not to get excited (whether realistic or not) or to dream of better things...

Watching SSN and they are asking Hammers fans who they want to replace Curb's?

All three reply with Di Canio.

Everytime the reporter goes but he's been ruled out.

They all looked baffled, almost as if no-one was home

They where then asked who instead?

The last one replies "that Italian wiv experience donnadini ye donnadini he's got experience and he's italian"

Where do they find them seriously?

Curbishley has a very good case against the club for breach of contract.

The worry now is that the board will asset strip and sell up. January will be a very telling time.

Have no idea who the next manager will be other than:

-He will be foreign

-Prepared to be a bit of a 'yes' man.

I was not a massive fan of he football we played under Curbs however it is clear that he has been screwed over. Indicative of football at the moment really. Rumours abound that we will be paying Sheff Utd a fair few quid fairly soon too.

The activities of the last few days at Man City, Us and Newcastle represent a sad chapter in the history of football that all of us, no matter which team we follow, will suffer negatively from.

The Sheff Utd case and Pardew's 'injunction' have resulted in some very bad press- we are a club in major turmoil.

Agree with all you say above RM. It really saddens me to see a club like West Ham (who I have always had a great deal of respect for over the years) apparently joining the ranks of the "big time Charlies" who think that having a mega rich owner somehow entitles them to look down on the rest of the clubs who are not so well endowed. The exception to this trend is Aston Villa who under the ownership of Randy Lerner are still quite happy to allow MoN a free reign in choice of players and tactics etc. I believe that Rovers too in the Jack Walker days were properly run in that Jack chose his manager and then stood back and allowed them to manage, but was willing to back their choice of player when the time came. That is how it should be; the manager rules in all football matters and accepts the full responsibility for his actions.

If it's any consolation RM, you are not alone in your views, and I am ready to predict that the way that the EPL, and indeed all the top leagues are heading in their pursuit of more and more wealth, it can only have one ending....the whole sorry business will implode and self-destruct. The ordinary fans are already getting thoroughly p--- off with the way things are going. Soon there will be only the glory-hunters (and rich one's at that) left to pay the piper. The real fans will have found something else to do with their cash and spare time. Maybe then sanity will return and genuine competitive football will return. We can but hope. :rolleyes:

I believe that Rovers too in the Jack Walker days were properly run in that Jack chose his manager and then stood back and allowed them to manage, but was willing to back their choice of player when the time came. That is how it should be; the manager rules in all football matters and accepts the full responsibility for his actions.

Can I say two words :-

Geoff Thomas

If my mind is not playing tricks, didn't Jack tell Kenny that we weren't paying the fee agreed for him.

Can I say two words :-

Geoff Thomas

If my mind is not playing tricks, didn't Jack tell Kenny that we weren't paying the fee agreed for him.

Yes, but that was also fan power- even in the pre-internet days we were able to let everybody know what we thought of that potential signing on that amazing day at Palace!

West Ham really look to be in a bit of a pickle despite two consecutive 4-1 wins and possibly the most dangerous forward combo finally up and running after injury.

The West Ham supporters who contradicted me when I wrote that the business interests of the Icelandic owners were in trouble have fallen quiet. It seems obvious that the directors know they are in for a seriously big payment to Sheffield United (I suspect £15m+) and that they are determined to stop all cash losses from their football involvement.

Unfortunately for the rest of us, the inflationary pressures that were West Ham and Newcastle seem to be about to be replaced by a new breed of owners.

I still think that West Ham have the potential to break into the very top level but the current owners clearly do not have the cash or desire to do that at the moment. Will be interesting to see if they sell up or not.

SSN had some cockney plank banging on about his Chelsea links. He was going on saying "I Dont want any so-called Chewlsea legend. He dahnt ahnderstahnd the club. We need a West Haaaaaaaaaaaam man who knows the clahb. Ahm off to get sahm jellied eels. Gurtchyur."* He might bring some sexy football to this country.

*=Read it out loud, it'll be easier than just reading it.

I wish Zola all the best at West Ham and hope their supporters give him a chance. He's a top bloke and deserves every success.

I still remember when he dedicated the wonderful flick (against Norwich) to a terminally ill Chelsea kid, but unfortunately the boy had died before he had done it.

Archived