BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Plans For The New Ot Cricket Ground.

I see that web site contains the word "Tesco." Start the alarm bells ringing right now.

Each Local Planning Authority (LPA) has a "Local Plan" which is the end result of a Public Inquiry. In a nutshell it stes out the planning scheme for each LPA for 6-8 years. Very basically it says where industry will be located; where retail will be located; where houing will be located; it describes open spaces such as parks; and Green Belt areas etc.

There's a site in Wigan called Leigh Sports Village.

here

It's run into some financial problems and the solution is to make a new planning application & do away with some of the sports facilities and install a Tesco. Tesco will help fund the scheme. The problem being that the site is ear-marked in Wigan's Local Plan for sports facilities, not another Tesco "white box" superstore. It'll hit planning problems.

More of us will have heard of Everton's plans to relocate from Goodison to a site in Knowsley. In a similar vein the site is allocated for a sporting facility, but not for retail. Guess who Everton FC has got on board to build another "white box" retail superstore. Yup! Tesco.

In this case the Secretary Of State (SoS) at the Department for Communities & Local Government has "called in" the planning application and it will be subject to a Public Inquiry. The SoS will then decide on whether or not it should be allowed, rather than be decided by Knowsley MBC.

The Old Trafford cricket ground proposal may be heading the same way. The site is probably allocated in Trafford's Local Plan as a sports facility. Including a retail supermarket in the planning application may well also trigger "call -in." If it's been done for Everton then it may well follow that prescedent.

Leigh Sports Village may also follow the same route if Wigan MBC decides that it wants to approve the revised application.

So there you go.

Isn't it great having a Civil Servant on board? :rolleyes:

how come when it comes to "development" in Manchester you smell a rat but when it comes to blackburn ie.bus lane ,road plans etc you say its good for us?

2013 ashes cant wait to get back to OT.

Ashes cricket has become a rip-off with tickets £80+. In Oz they only charge $20.

Ashes cricket has become a rip-off with tickets £80+. In Oz they only charge $20.

I don't remember paying £80+ in 2005 when 10,000 were locked out of my beloved cricket ground, then again how much a ticket for Wembley for 90 minutes of international drivel? I cannot wait for the real Old Trafford to be redeveloped, it is shocking at the moment. The North West deserves a world class cricket ground and hopefully 'New' Trafford will provide it, I couldn't care less whether Tesco are involved or not, 20 years ago we sold a huge chunk of land to Kellogg's. Now all we need is a decent team, preferably full of Lancastrians instead of Kolpaks and second (or third) rate overseas players.

how come when it comes to "development" in Manchester you smell a rat but when it comes to blackburn ie.bus lane ,road plans etc you say its good for us?

Abbey,

I don't "smell a rat" about the OT cricket ground. I was simply trying to explain how the planning system works and the fact that Tesco seems to be attaching itself to at least three sports developments in the North West in the hope of over-riding the planning system. I don't really care, but Tesco & the applicants know they are pushing the planning guidelines to stretching point.

Bus lanes do not fall under the planning system and so do not go through the same process. Similarly, I don't really care about but lanes in Blackburn, they are all over the rest of the country and no-one bats an eyelid about them. If the good people of Blackburn want to get agitated about them, that's their perogative.

also with the credit crunch going on, only the big three supermarkets have the money to allow clubs to build these new grounds.

Whereas clubs would whore them selves to investment banks they now whore them themselves out to Tesco's to get the money neccessary.

I've got four tickets for the saturday of the Edgbaston test for £60 a head. £60 for 7 and a half hours play isnt bad for your money, considering you can leave the ground to go to the offy to stock up.

:smug git:

And if the very thorough search at OT is anything to go by have the passout taken off you cos taking yer own booze in is now against the rules.

I don't remember paying £80+ in 2005 when 10,000 were locked out of my beloved cricket ground, then again how much a ticket for Wembley for 90 minutes of international drivel? I cannot wait for the real Old Trafford to be redeveloped, it is shocking at the moment. The North West deserves a world class cricket ground and hopefully 'New' Trafford will provide it, I couldn't care less whether Tesco are involved or not, 20 years ago we sold a huge chunk of land to Kellogg's. Now all we need is a decent team, preferably full of Lancastrians instead of Kolpaks and second (or third) rate overseas players.

I went to the last Ashes match in Manchester and only paid about £20 or so .

I'd think twice about paying anything more than £30 to be honest - especially with the price of drinks :o

The ground definitely needs sorting out - it's distasteful that the likes of Tesco have to get involved but that's life .

I've got four tickets for the saturday of the Edgbaston test for £60 a head. £60 for 7 and a half hours play isnt bad for your money, considering you can leave the ground to go to the offy to stock up.

:smug git:

We thought about the 20/20 at OT but baulked at £40 per ticket. It was going to cost me £120 and my mate £80. Much as I enjoy a cricket match £40 is far too much, just as it is to watch a football match

Lancs could end up with 5 wins and 2 losses, seems as though only Durham (Champions elect) at 6 wins will have a better winning record and no-one will have lost fewer, shame the batting has been so awful all season but we must live in hope. ;)

Give us Durhams batting points and we finish 2nd, without the likely increase in match points. Time for a review of Winkers position I think.

Give us Durhams batting points and we finish 2nd, without the likely increase in match points. Time for a review of Winkers position I think.

Maybe but there is a serious lack of quality in the batting, countered by the quality in the (seam) bowling, which must be the best homegrown attack. We need to bring through at least one batter (Brown?) this coming year. Satisfying that the last game was won without a Kolpak or overseas player, I'm ignoring Law. A change of coach? Maybe, but I just think the batting is sub-standard irrespective of the management.

• 2 weeks later...

Well Law has not been given a new contract for next season, and has been replaced as skipper by Glen Chapple.

LCCC Website Official.

"Jim Cumbes said on making the announcement; “Stuart has been a top class player and has served us superbly in the time he has been here, but the club is committed to giving younger members of the squad the opportunity to grow and the Cricket Committee felt the time was right for other players to take on added responsibilities.""

Glen Chapple is 34.

'Boris' might well be 34 but I presume he is seen as the senior pro, certainly in the bowling department. Part of me is sorry to see Law go, he is real class but the batting needs to get younger, fast. A top 6 of Horton, Chilton, Brown, Loye, Du Plessis and Croft looks very suspect to me, although four of them have been developed by the club. I really hope we don't sign any more Kolpak players or start signing second rate county players, we need a solid overseas batter, not spectacular but a grafter. I've heard calls for Murali but the batting is far too fragile.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived