BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Visiting Ewood

According to Trainline, there is a train to Leeds from Blackburn at 18.54 arriving at 20.08, and at the moment the ticket is £13.20 (advance booking). You can catch a train from Leeds to London at 20.15 arriving at Kings Cross at 22.37 and the ticket costs £21.00 (advance booking). I know it's not Manchester and you have made your arrangements but perhaps you could stay in Blackburn on the Saturday night, so you won't need to go back to Manchester?

edit: probably no better than only2garners' suggestion! The airport is the other side of Manchester and can be accessed by train or road... It's quite easy to get to the centre of Manchester by road, not sure of timing though, I have done it in 20 minutes from my house which is 15 minutes or so away from Ewood, but that was some time ago and I think it might be pushing it a bit these days.

Thanks roversmum! Couldn't have done it without you.

I had found that route on Nationalrail's website but was quite befuddled because I couldn't purchase them online.

Thanks for pointing out how to do it, and I've purchased the tickets separately on thetrainline's website.

All set to go now!

Thanks roversmum! Couldn't have done it without you.

I had found that route on Nationalrail's website but was quite befuddled because I couldn't purchase them online.

Thanks for pointing out how to do it, and I've purchased the tickets separately on thetrainline's website.

All set to go now!

Get your running shoes on as 7 mins at Leeds station can seem a lot shorter...

Get your running shoes on as 7 mins at Leeds station can seem a lot shorter...

Too true Ed, and if trains use the same platforms as when I was last there, the ones from Blackburn use platforms on the opposite side of the station to the ones used by the London trains. It's a long bridge and I hope the train from Blackburn isn't running late..........

• 1 month later...

Hi again guys. It is two weeks since Tugay-day, and here's a trip report of my Ewood visit which I had promised Roger, whom I met during the ground tour.

Ground tour - The ground tour was excellent and I highly recommend it to any fan who's visiting Ewood for the first time.

Upon arrival at Ewood Park, I saw an unexpected sight - a line snaking out from the entrance of the Rovers store - which was not yet open. Girlfriend and I joined the queue, not knowing what it was for. It was only after the shop opened and I asked around that I found out that the queue was for the Tugay t-shirts, which were pretty quickly sold out. As the girlfriend queued for the t-shirts, I went into the shop. It was rovers heaven! I went in, and swept everything I could hold into my hands. I ended up with a new away shirt, a pair of training shorts (which turned out to be way too small for me), three car kits, a rovers scarf, a pennant and a mini car scarf (which has a defective stick-on so it does not actually stick on my car windscreen). I was quite literally like a kid in a candy store for the first time. Some may not understand this, but I had never seen so much rovers memorabilia in that small an area in my life. The only downside was the many other things I wanted - a rovers windbreaker, a club t shirt, club polo shirt - were all out of adult sizes and only had kid sizes left. In particular, I had really wanted the rovers training top and the jacket, but it was not meant to be. So i grabbed the above stash, and got two tugay t-shirts, one for the girlfriend and one for myself.

Exiting the shop, we joined a group of norwegian supporters mingling outside the entrance to the Blues Bar. We were soon ushered in and the tour started with a video of the rovers' history (including Bentley's hattrick against Man U). We were then brought to view the lounges and the VIP box. 23,000 pounds would buy you an excellent view of the match, together with copious amounts of alcohol and fine dining during the game, and all in air-conditioned comfort. But that's not real football, is it? :P Gotta be in the crowd for the atmosphere. To rovers' credit, there's been an attempt to replicate that for the prawn sandwich crew. There's apparently a speaker which you could turn on, which then beams the crowd noise into the room! Cool. That will not be the end of rovers' technological innovations though, as we would later find out. In the lounges, we also saw some framed kits - including the title winning one - where for the first time I noticed, was different from the one the season before. I had always thought they were the same and did not realise that even the shade of blue was different. But I was only 10 or 11 then. We also saw the Pennants Lounge, which as the name would suggest, holds pennants exchanged from other teams. Took a photo of the one Spurs gave us at the Worthington Cup final to rib the girlfriend's brother, who's a spud fan. Also saw Bentley's boots, which were worn when he scored at Wembley for the U21s. We also saw our trophies, and looking at them upclose, I actually like the Worthington Cup most, at least aesthetically.

However, the highlight of the tour was undoubtedly seeing the non-public sections of the ground - the changing room and pitch! Picked up interesting tidbits, such as how Tugay's a chain smoker. The great man can clearly do no wrong! Also found out that the players do not get a new kit every match (which I had always thought was the case) and had to pay for new shirts if they exchanged them with other players. Also had a laugh about how the physiotheraphy room is Reidy's personal changing room. Onto the tunnel, where the entrance music was played to mimic matchday atmosphere. (Suggestion to Roger: Perhaps you could consider lining up the tour group in two rows at that point, just as the players do before running onto the pitch. Would be a fun exercise for fans, I feel.) It was also the photo opportunity I was waiting for and had looked forward to the most - Posing with jersey and scarf, standing above the club crest. Also managed to get onto the pitch for a while, (and more photos) which was a thrill. (Do not underestimate this, because a Liverpool supporting friend whom I had travelled with on this trip was quite upset that visitors were not allowed to take pictures on the pitch during Anfield tours.)

We also saw the press facilities, which were quite impressive. The conference room was cosy and equipped with latest technology. Of course, I just had to have the mandatory picture with the girlfriend with the TV backdrop. We also saw the press box - and they have quite a good view of the pitch really. Interesting that those seats are also equipped with a plug so the reporters could send off their reports instantly. As a final note, it was very heartening to find out that Uncle Jack had thought of everyone, down to the cleaners, when designing the stadium and deciding on materials to be used. It certainly reinforced our standing as a "proper club" and family club. It was also nice to note that we have not designed the away dressing room to discriminate against opponents, as some other clubs like Chelsea and Liverpool have done. We don't have to resort to dirty tactics, do we? :P

After the tour, made my way back to the train station via public bus. Had a quick look at the McDonald's at which Barry Ferguson bought his meal after signing for us. Also, we had some time before the train arrived so we explored the town centre. The cathedral was impressive, and we had a nice meal at a cosy little bistro-ish cafe run by an old lady. Also went to the mall and walked about for a bit, and saw the redevelopment plans for the Blackburn area. The place was already buzzing, and I'm sure that there will be more buzz in future!

Matchday - Made the hour long trip from Manchester again. Hardly any Blackburn fans in my section of the train departing Manchester, but the train started to fill up as we neared Blackburn. Never felt unsafe at any point wearing Blackburn colours, even though the train had more than its fair share of WBA fans. Upon arrival in Blackburn, what a spectacle! I found a town dressed im Blue and White. It seemed like everyone was in Rovers colours and heading to the match. This small town effect is really charming, and conveyed a huge sense of unity. Rovers is truely the pride of the town! Got off the bus and walked to the stadium as one of the many fans.

At the stadium itself, the atmosphere was great. The tugay masks were really cute and I honestly did not know how big Tugs was until I got there. The match itself was nondescript, but I felt really privileged that I got to see the maestro live before he retired. He clearly still had a great touch and great footwork. Match wise, I had not expected the match to sell out, but it certainly did. There was definitely no more than a thousand empty seats, and not the 6000 suggested by official figures. I had actually had some difficulty getting match tickets, and only got them on the hotline after I arrived in London. The concierge from my hotel had tried to help me get them, but to no avail. The lady on the phone had actually refused to sell them to me, thinking I was a WBA fan! Only managed to convince her after I told her I had flown in for the match and was booked on the stadium tour the day before as well. It worked out though, and I got pitchside, front row seats, in the Blackburn end. Great view, though the atmosphere seemed out of this world in the Blackburn End. When I next return, I'm going to try going into the Blackburn End.

Postmatch lap of honour - Great to see the players and their kids. Tugay's daughter looks like she'll grow up into quite a good looking lady, while Robbo's kids were cute too. Nelsen looked HUGE in person and very well built. Honestly did not expect him to appear that big in person. I was also surprised to see Emo show up with his kid - I assumed he was in Australia recuperating from his injury. Only disappointment was no Santa Cruz. I thought he would have had the decency to at least appear for the lap of honour.

Bonus - Chelsea at Stamford Bridge

I was also lucky enough to attend the Chelsea match at Stamford Bridge a week before Tugay day. Getting the tickets was a story in itself. I was out in theatreland in London on the Friday night before, and on my way to the Phantom, chanced upon a booth with a sign "Discounted theatre tickets... Football tickets available". I was honestly surprised that the black market was so brazenly signposted, and I just had to ask. I tentatively asked if he had Chelsea tickets, to which the guy replied to the affirmative. On the price, I was in for a shock. 400 pounds for a pitchside seat! You must be joking, I thought. But he continued, "I've had a cancellation on these tickets, and 200 pounds had been paid on them." I was offered them for the remainder of 200 pounds a piece, which was still astronomical to me. I was going to walk away, and I said frankly that it was way above what I had in mind and I was after seats in the away end anyway. The salesperson/tout was stunned. Probably no one had ever asked to attend a chelsea game against a team outside the big four and asked for an away seat! He took a look at the tickets, and said I wouldnt believe it, but they were away seats. Pitchside! Well it was still too expensive for me, and I was attending the WBA game alreay, so I was still going to walk away. The salesperson/tout was friendly though, and ribbed me about Blackburn. A lady who was behind me in the queue also laughed, and did not believe my football allegiance. The salesperson/tout then asked me how much I wanted to spend, which I said was probably too low for him. Not knowing how much the tickets cost, I said 70 pounds for the pair, at which point he showed me the tickets and I saw that they were originally 44 pounds each. I shrugged, but he was somewhat nice, and offered me a deal at 100 pounds for the two tickets, because "to support Blackburn, you have to be a proper football fan." So of course I thanked him and took them. It was a good deal both ways - I paid only 6 pounds above the original price for pitchside seats at Stamford Bridge, and he got rid of his tickets. My concierge couldnt believe how much I got the tickets for, and I was told the last few Chelsea games had gone for 650 pounds a seat. The black market is truly thriving I must say.

As an aside, I saw several other oriental types sitting very quietly in the away end during the Chelsea match. Must be Chelsea fans, I thought, and wondered how much they paid for the tickets. The match itself was forgettable. But though we lost, my aforementioned liverpool supporting friend and myself had a great time. We learned new chants, including the most basic of them all. "Cheat, cheat, cheat!" we screamed at Drogba. Our favourite was "same old drogba/chelsea, always cheating" and there was the barcelona chant which shut chelsea fans up for a while. Ashley cole also confirmed himself as the most unpopular player ever, given the abuse he was receiving from us every time he got near the ball.

Conclusion

So all in, I had a great time and look forward to returning some day. My fears about safety were unfounded, given that I never ran into any trouble, not in Blackburn, not in London. (Although the girlfriend was pickpocketed in London, that happens in any city and will not taint my impression of the country at all.) I did feel a little worried in Manchester after dark, when there seemed to be a gang fight right outside my hotel but alcohol and youths do not usually mix well anywhere in the world.

Special thanks to Roger, who was great during the tour. He took very good care of us and did not let my girlfriend and I feel left out despite us being on the tour with the norwegian supporters who were obviously close to each other and having great fun. Also appreciate the help rendered by everyone on this messageboard in terms of planning my journey. Roversmum and Pafell - unfortunately I couldnt meet up with you all, but really appreciate all your advice.

PS: There was one young chap i saw at the Manchester Victoria station when i returned from the WBA match, who sang "six fingered @#/?s" and had a whole lot of other choice words for rovers fans, but I thought it was probably just banter and never felt in any physical danger. Am i right to assume that that chap was a dingle?

Picture links - Ewood visit and Tugay day: http://img503.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=p5251105.jpg and Chelsea match http://img23.imageshack.us/slideshow/playe...4361962fy1.smil

Really enjoyed the report. You obviously had a great time. Interesting to read an overseas fan take on the Rovers and Blackburn in general. The 'Roverstown' feel you picked up on in Blackburn is an important part of Rovers appeal and why those of us who have moved away never lose the attachment. The Rovers get in your blood and the sense of belonging is very real. Like you say..a proper football club. Hope you make many return journeys...and hope that the club recognises the importance of distant fans like you (see other threads).

Thanks for the replies guys!

blackburnrvrs - do PM me anytime. when you have confirmed your dates, i'll certainly be more than willing to give you more information on the logistics of getting there. not many people from our part of the world get to blackburn, but the trip will be absolutely worth the effort, i assure you. good luck!

roger - it was great to meet you. i realised upon looking at my photos that, of the gazillions of photos i took that day, i somehow managed to miss out taking one with you! what blasphemy! hope to meet you again in the not too distant future.

lurid - were you there on the tour that day? she is well chuffed after reading your complement! :)

steelcity and hughesy - the bond between the town and the club was very very evident and definitely left a huge impression on me. the thing about supporting a football club is that it defies logic and reason, and that's why someone from across the globe like blackburnrvrs and myself are able to feel the same feelings for the club as residents of the town. but one thing though that has always struck me was that i have always thought of our club as a family club, and am very proud that we do things the right way. this trip definitely confirmed my impression and i hope to have the opportunity to go back and take in more games in future. (i am thinking though that my presence at the chelsea and west brom matches was probably why we failed to score...)

i think its great that a place like blackburn where most of its people hate the place can give someone such a good day out. like people have said ewood park is pretty much our trademark in blackburn. anyone see the crowd walking up livsey branch after the brom game?? the huge sea of blue and white?? and can anyone tell me if ewood arms is always that busy after a home game? normally go last orders after going to a match..

Archived