BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Visiting Ewood

Hi guys,

I'm appealing for some information on travelling to Ewood. The background is that there is some chance that I could be visiting England in May as the girlfriend is due in London for work. (I'll be tagging along as a tourist if things fall into place!) The dates could fall nicely for me to catch the Portsmouth and/or West Brom matches, and we're trying to schedule it as such. Although my preference is to watch the Portsmouth game, I'm desperate to visit Ewood and will take anything I can. If all else fails, I do not mind doing the Chelsea game at Stamford bridge and visit the stadium at some other point on the trip, though this will hardly be my first choice. At this stage, having scoured through the web, I have some questions which I hope the kind souls on this board could help address. They are:

1. Portsmouth game is on 9 May 09 - Saturday. If I land in London at about 7am that very day, is it possible for me to make the match at Ewood? What time must I leave London to make the game, and how long is the journey back to London?

2. Assuming I would like to watch a match, what is the deadline to purchase my tickets? Will I be barred from buying a ticket in the away stands for the Chelsea match (given that I've obviously not been to a game at Ewood before...)? I do not want to sit in the Chelsea section.

3. How many days does it take to explore Blackburn the town?

4. And finally, what are the prospects of a sensibly-behaved Asian (Chinese) getting into race-related trouble in Blackburn? Any areas in particular to avoid? (Apologies if this is not a politically correct question or if it offends anyone here. I understand that such things cannot be predicted and I am not actually expecting to run into any trouble or anything out of the ordinary. I've visited Austria, Czech Republic, Denmark, Germany and Italy, including many small towns in those countries, without any trouble, but I'm just asking because some websites and forums have written that Blackburn is a "rough town with serious racial issues".)

I understand that this is a long list of questions, and I'm only at an initial planning stage. But thanks for all your help and would greatly appreciate your input! So excited by the prospect of possibly going to Ewood...

Cheers,

Victor

Hope you can make it whatever the scenario.

If you are arriving early doors, there are plenty of trains. If your driving get set for a 4 hr drive up to Ewood and likewise back. A further option is taking the coach from London but that would be a long trek on National Express, the advantag ebeing that you could get some good rest on the return journey overnight back to London AND at the moment there are fares for £1.00 each way.

I dont see any problem with ticket sales at Ewood. Chelsea away is a costly experience especially to see us take a beating !

Blackburn does not have many exciting palces to visit. A Cathedral, Ewood, a small town centre shopping centre, 2 pizza huts and a maccy d's are about its limit. All over in half a day.

You shouldnt see any trouble unless you don claret and blue colourings. There are plenty of Asian owned eateries in the town.

With the latest ticket offer from Rovers, Pompy, Wigan and WBA will all be limited to just 3000 supporters in the upper tier of the Darwen End if it is right that the ticket offer applies to the lower tier section of the Darwen End.

Fo those who missed it £20 for the final 3 Premiership games. BARGAIN.

Where are you reading about Blackburn's serious racial problems? Believe me there are far worse places than Blackburn for that, especially in daylight. You won't need time to look at Blackburn as there reallly is nothing worth seeing here apart from the ground itself.

I'd suggest the West Brom game. If we are safe, it'll be a good atmosphere. If we are not, it'll be a nail biter.

I wouldn't worry about any racism or anything, especially not Chinese folk. I'd advise avoiding Millhill and Burnley, but that's only because they are terrible places.

If you are coming as a tourist, you'd be best visiting outside Lancashire unless you like grass. Trafford Centre to do some shopping? If you take a fancy to walking, we have plenty of hills littered around for you to scramble up. If you want to go for a night out, try Burnley because Blackburn is dire these days. Manchester is only 20 minutes or so away and there is plenty to do there. Museums, restaurants, shops etc.

Even with bad traffic, you're pretty much a certainty to make it to Ewood on time. It'd be wise to work out where you are going to park beforehand though. If you are lost you'll inevitably roll up to the big crappy car park and spend an hour after the game shunting along. The train might not be a bad option, but there could be West Brom fans on board going home via Manchester/Preston I think.

And finally, which stand you choose to sit in is up to you, however:

Jack Walker Stand = runs alongside the pitch, high vantage point but very little atmosphere.

Riverside/Fraser Eagle = Opposite side, runs alongside the pitch. Is the smaller stand of the 4 and has a reasonably good atmosphere, but not on par with the BBE.

Blackburn End = The most atmospheric and noisy.

If our survival depends on the West Brom game, go in the BBE. It should be rocking. And the floor shall be entirely covered by thrice chewed nails.

Hi guys,

I'm appealing for some information on travelling to Ewood. The background is that there is some chance that I could be visiting England in May as the girlfriend is due in London for work. (I'll be tagging along as a tourist if things fall into place!) The dates could fall nicely for me to catch the Portsmouth and/or West Brom matches, and we're trying to schedule it as such. Although my preference is to watch the Portsmouth game, I'm desperate to visit Ewood and will take anything I can. If all else fails, I do not mind doing the Chelsea game at Stamford bridge and visit the stadium at some other point on the trip, though this will hardly be my first choice. At this stage, having scoured through the web, I have some questions which I hope the kind souls on this board could help address. They are:

1. Portsmouth game is on 9 May 09 - Saturday. If I land in London at about 7am that very day, is it possible for me to make the match at Ewood? What time must I leave London to make the game, and how long is the journey back to London?

If you're thinking of coming to Ewood after landing at Heathrow, you'd be better looking at a connecting flight to Manchester and getting the train from there to Blackburn I'd have thought. The train is fine, but it's not that easy getting to Euston from Heathrow and is the last thing you need after a long haul.

2. Assuming I would like to watch a match, what is the deadline to purchase my tickets? Will I be barred from buying a ticket in the away stands for the Chelsea match (given that I've obviously not been to a game at Ewood before...)? I do not want to sit in the Chelsea section.

As previously stated Victor, buying tickets has never really been an issue at Ewood, so I'm sure you'll be fine for home games. Chelsea away is unlikely to sell out - crap views for away fans, we'll lose and the ticket prices are prohibitive.

3. How many days does it take to explore Blackburn the town?

Like others have said, Blackburn isn't exactly one of England's prime attractions. There are some pleasant surprises – the Leeds Liverpool canal is a nice walk and you get a real sense of the industrial revolution as you traverse along the tow path. There are also a few imposing Victorian and Georgian buildings like Blackburn College and King Georges Hall. The town centre is dominated by a 1960's monstrosity that stands in as the shopping centre. The one redeeming feature of this brutal and functionalist structure is that it was a prototype of its era and therefore has some historical architectural merit. As you live in crowded Singapore, I'd recommend exploring the incredible scenery of the Ribble Valley (the Cotswolds of the north) or the barren Trough of Bowland just north of Blackburn and just pass through the town. There is also the football museum at Preston not far away.

4. And finally, what are the prospects of a sensibly-behaved Asian (Chinese) getting into race-related trouble in Blackburn? Any areas in particular to avoid? (Apologies if this is not a politically correct question or if it offends anyone here. I understand that such things cannot be predicted and I am not actually expecting to run into any trouble or anything out of the ordinary. I've visited Austria, Czech Republic, Denmark, Germany and Italy, including many small towns in those countries, without any trouble, but I'm just asking because some websites and forums have written that Blackburn is a "rough town with serious racial issues".)

English people euphemistically refer to 'Asians', when in fact it's an incredibly patronising way to refer to British of Pakistani/Kashmiri descent, which make up the bulk of Blackburn's inner urban population. There is less racial tension on a personal basis than you would imagine. Rather it's more on an existential level were two communities live cheek by jowl in a kind of voluntary cultural, religious and social apartheid. It's highly unlikely, but there is always a risk of running in to a couple of drunken yobs intent on trouble but generally you will find Lancastrian people warm and inquisitive.

I understand that this is a long list of questions, and I'm only at an initial planning stage. But thanks for all your help and would greatly appreciate your input! So excited by the prospect of possibly going to Ewood...

Hope it all works out well for you.

Cheers,

Victor

Where are you reading about Blackburn's serious racial problems? Believe me there are far worse places than Blackburn for that, especially in daylight. You won't need time to look at Blackburn as there reallly is nothing worth seeing here apart from the ground itself.

That's the informed and constructive perspective from the so-called teaching profession is it? :rolleyes:

You shouldnt see any trouble unless you don claret and blue colourings.

What do you mean by claret and blue colors? I'm an American who only started following soccer (football) last year, so I'm still picking up the terminology. To date, my primary source of information is Setanta which is my only cost effective way fo watching the games. I decided to follow Blackburn because: 1) my ancestors 300+ years ago came from Lancashire; and, 2) I prefer rooting for the smaller, scrappier teams.

Any online sites anyone would recommend to a football and Premier League novice?

What do you mean by claret and blue colors? I'm an American who only started following soccer (football) last year, so I'm still picking up the terminology. To date, my primary source of information is Setanta which is my only cost effective way fo watching the games. I decided to follow Blackburn because: 1) my ancestors 300+ years ago came from Lancashire; and, 2) I prefer rooting for the smaller, scrappier teams.

Any online sites anyone would recommend to a football and Premier League novice?

Go to the break with a tradition thread on the next page and read from the start you will get a insight to why.Burnley play in claret and blue

Apologies for my lack of computer skills, but it took me a while to scour the ancient scrolls and part of your initiation requires an understanding of knightly lore: Pauperes commilitones Christi Templique Solomonici

Please read on and learn well...but beware of the preceding heresy

QUOTE (rover6 @ Aug 10 2008, 11:16 )

Excuse the decibel level:

BUT WHO CARES ABOUT BURNLEY? WHY DO WE NEED THESE GLOATING THREADS AND COMMENTS ABOUT "THE GAP" AND EVEN MORE INTELLECTUAL PHRASES OF DERISION.

Burnley have much less money than us. It's as simple as that.

Gloating about their failings would be like a Man U fan going, "Ha ha, Blackburn drew with NAC Breda. Ha ha, hilarious, can't make it to the Champions League and now drawing with a mediocre Dutch side, he he."

Or does the special mutual hatred require all sense and logic to be cast aside for the purpose of scoring points?

iamarover

Find Member's Posts Posted on: Aug 11 2008, 21:51

Now my son. Excuse the soft whiskey soaked breath which carries my words, as I must press close to tell you a story from the Elders. A tale of glory, and honour. Of war and bloodshed. You were chosen a long time ago to be one of us. And so you will be for ever. But with that honour comes obligations and knowledge. All of these things I am to give to you.

And knowing these things that have been passed down from generation to generation will heal your wounds, strengthen your loyalty, and brand your identity. You have reached your time when I must do the duty imposed by the Gods when I first walked the earth. Now is the time I must impart the wisdom of my age.

I will tell you a story now. As you will do so, many years hence, to another of our young bucks who strain against the corral of life, thinking our beliefs and support are built by reason alone.

Back in the mists of time when the Industrial machines ran our region, strange forces were present. The world's power and influence flowed along our Lancashire valleys, through our mills and into our homes. Temples rose. But not in honour of Mammon who built the looms for the Lords of Capital. But Churches that gloried the men who slaved therein. The most swift, the most agile, the most powerful demonstrated their virtual freedom in the Church of Football. Twelve cathedrals rose in the land in the year of our Lord, One Thousand Eight Hundred and Eighty Eight. Eight has always been the number of fortune through the ages. Our ancestors chose well. Twelve good towns and true. Who honoured men. Who adored their presence. And our Ewood rose to become a beacon of hope to the people of the Blackburn Shire.

But one of the Twelve was not of true faith. Their manner become one of rapaciousness and greed. And sneering, rasping animal like behaviour, they became outcasts. Like Judas of old, they were the one of the Twelve who betrayed the true path. They became outcasts. Outlaws. Traitors. DinGells in the language of the Ancients.

Blue is the colour of our noble blood. White is the colour of our purity. And red is the colour of the Rose and the blood spilt by our forefathers in your name.

Arise now and raise your head high.

You are a Rover, my son.

Forum: The Messageboard · Post Preview: #656926 · Replies: 90 · Views: 3,508

Apologies for my lack of computer skills, but it took me a while to scour the ancient scrolls and part of your initiation requires an understanding of knightly lore: Pauperes commilitones Christi Templique Solomonici

Please read on and learn well...but beware of the preceding heresy

. . .

What's scary is I understood leftfooter's message, though wikipedia's enteries on Blackburn and Burnely, and the Burnley thread here helped alot.

Victor - for the game on May 9th, you easily have time to get up to Blackburn and back to London on the day.

Virgin Trains run every 20 minutes from London Euston to Manchester Piccadilly, and every hour from London Euston to Preston. I would advise travelling via Preston simply because the Manchester derby is scheduled for the same day, and you don't particularly want to spend two hours on a train up to Manchester with hordes of London based plastic Mancs (of both persuasions). Their match is likely to be moved for TV, probably to the Saturday or Sunday lunchtime, but it's worth being aware of it.

Your options from London to Preston are at 9.30, 10.30 and 11.30, and it takes 2 hours 8 mins.

Your connections on to Blackburn from Preston are at 11.54 (arrives 12.09), then 12.22 (12.46), 12.54 (13.09), 13.22 (13.46), 13.54 (14.09). The slow trains also call at Mill Hill a couple of mins before Blackburn, which is closer to Ewood.

I'd advise you to get an off-peak flexible return ticket which will allow you to travel on any option going back South ... the last one is at 19.15 from Blackburn, change to the 20.04 from Preston back in London at 22.43. This ticket will cost you about 67 quid - you could save up to #25 by booking non-flexible tickets in advance but you would then have to travel on the booked service.

Thanks for all the prompt replies guys. Certainly alot of useful information! Thanks for all the information on the rail timetable. (As a sidenote, I did not realise it cost so much for a round-trip train ticket! 67 pounds works out to well near 150 singapore dollars, which will quite comfortably buy you - 75 fillet-o-fish-es from Macs, 3 season tickets to the local football league, about 3 tanks of petrol, a very nice dinner for two or a ticket to phantom of the opera - in singapore.) This raises another question - How many pounds should I budget for to live comfortably in England per day, minus accomodation?

I had favoured attending the portsmouth game as i thought it would have a better atmosphere - we're likelier to have something to play for as compared to the wba game.

That said, I'm waiting nervously now for the gf's boss to give her the go-ahead for the trip... if not I'll probably have to postpone such plans till next season at the earliest. Thanks again for all the assistance!

====================================================================================

Gumboots - I saw those comments on another forum. not too sure if I should link it, but I personally dont think racial issues would pose a problem at all.

Leftfooter - Great suggestions, thanks! The sights of Blackburn, even though it may be barren lands and grass, would still be quite a sight for me to behold, given that we have no such expanse of space in Singapore. Every piece of land that's free here will inevitably become occupied by a building. If I'm not wrong, Lancashire was where the cottage industries originated? As I have an interest in sociology, I think I will find the area rather historical and no doubt interesting. But that said, quite honestly, if I can see only one thing in England, it has to be Ewood. Sometimes, you just have to prioritise! :)

If the flight touches down at 7.30, you should be through immigration and collected your luggage by 9.30.

I'd head for the Heathrow Express and get the District/Circle line from Paddington which takes you to Euston Square- the railway station is close by.

Travelling at the week-end, you can pay a £15 supplement on the train and travel First Class- worth it for the extra comfort and lack of crush.

I agree that compared with Singapore, there is a lot to see in Blackburn that is different to your home city although in no way is the town a tourist destination. I suggest you look for Dillo's Lancashire-guess where thread on I cannot believe it's Football for some wonderful pictures of Blackburn seen through the eyes of a visitor.

He's just complained about the cost of a train, hardly likely to then increase it by 50% if money is tight.

As for costs per day, there aren't food halls in shopping centres where you can eat for next to nothing like you can in Singapore, you'll easily spend £25 a day if you aren't careful.

You should also note that the TV games in May haven't yet been decided.

Update on planning. :)

Match - Will catch the West Brom match. Hopefully we are safe by then.

Ground tour - Just booked myself onto the 23 May tour.

Coming in from the Lake District and have decided to base myself in Manchester from 22 to 24, heading back to London after the match.

Can't wait! Looking forward to shopping in the club shop too. I feel like a little boy again!

May I know what is the practice for buying tickets to the West Brom match? Do I buy online and collect at the gate? Or do I collect it on the Saturday during the ground tour?

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry to bother again.

Given that the WBA match starts at 1600, what is the likeliest time for me to make it back into Manchester Piccadilly? Will I be able to catch the train out from Manchester to London at 1827, factoring in some time to pick up my luggage, which will be stowed at a hotel near the Manchester station? I'm asking because I had miscalculated and purchased my accomodation in London already. I had thought the game will start at 1500...

Thanks!

Sorry to bother again.

Given that the WBA match starts at 1600, what is the likeliest time for me to make it back into Manchester Piccadilly? Will I be able to catch the train out from Manchester to London at 1827, factoring in some time to pick up my luggage, which will be stowed at a hotel near the Manchester station? I'm asking because I had miscalculated and purchased my accomodation in London already. I had thought the game will start at 1500...

Thanks!

No chance on that im afraid.

Check this website Trainline but i think you will find it very hard to get back to London after the match.

That's the informed and constructive perspective from the so-called teaching profession is it? :rolleyes:

Well tell me which bit of the building site that is Blackburn town centre you'd recommend him to look at! The cathedrals worth a couple of minutes but it's hardly like going to one of the historic ones is it? and I really like that little statue of the mum and child on the Boulevard. I suppose if it rains you could do the museum but that's really got to be it. I like the place but that's more about it being almost home rather than the architectural and cultural merits of the town

Sorry to bother again.

Thanks!

It will be possible to get back but it will be a convoluted journey as the main Manchester to London line will be closed for maintenance. It looks like you can get a train at 19.03 from Blackburn and change at Bolton, Manchester Piccadilly and Doncaster and get in to London Kings Cross at 23.50. This will give you less than 20 minutes at Piccadilly so I would recommend you store your luggage at the station and not the hotel. It won't be any better going via Preston as there will be the same problem with the line closure.

Thanks for all the replies. You guys have been really helpful. I've checked the rail websites and it looks pretty bleak.

May I know if it is realistic for me to get back to Manchester Piccadilly and make the 1927 train to London?

I will not be able to take the train from Blackburn to Manchester, because no options will get me in there by 1927.

If i go by road, how long will it take me to get reach Manchester after the match?

If i were to fly, how can i get to Manchester airport, and what's the most realistic time for me to reach the airport after the game?

According to Trainline, there is a train to Leeds from Blackburn at 18.54 arriving at 20.08, and at the moment the ticket is £13.20 (advance booking). You can catch a train from Leeds to London at 20.15 arriving at Kings Cross at 22.37 and the ticket costs £21.00 (advance booking). I know it's not Manchester and you have made your arrangements but perhaps you could stay in Blackburn on the Saturday night, so you won't need to go back to Manchester?

edit: probably no better than only2garners' suggestion! The airport is the other side of Manchester and can be accessed by train or road... It's quite easy to get to the centre of Manchester by road, not sure of timing though, I have done it in 20 minutes from my house which is 15 minutes or so away from Ewood, but that was some time ago and I think it might be pushing it a bit these days.

Archived