BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Australia

Travelled around Australia in 2005 and have always wanted to go back and live there. Just wondering if any board members have made the big jump and could offer some advice on the following:

What are the best websites for Immigration Advice?

Was it worth it?

Do you actaully feel the benefits of living in a warmer country? Or do you still finish work and go home to watch TV?

How bad is the recession over there?

Are you glad you did it?

Any further tips?

Any help much appreciated.

Travelled around Australia in 2005 and have always wanted to go back and live there. Just wondering if any board members have made the big jump and could offer some advice on the following:

Was it worth it?

Do you actaully feel the benefits of living in a warmer country? Or do you still finish work and go home to watch TV?

Are you glad you did it?

Any further tips?

Wanna house swap? :lol:

I moved to the UK last year, but had to move back as my father passed away. Always wanted to go back there

I won't answer the immigration question (I was born here), but I'll answer this

Well this is up to you, if you want to just go home on a summer's night it's up to you. You will notice the climate change on the weekends more, even in winter you'll notice that your able to do more activites outside. Although, if you're a footballer you tend not to play in the rain.

The big change you'll find is the winters here are very mild by English standards, so while people here are shivering when it hits 14 degrees you'll be there in a t-shirt and shorts. ;-) Also depends where you want to move as well,

Well it's bad everywhere, but seems like we haven't been hit as hard as the UK or the US. I'm not saying that there's been no job loses, but thankfully our banking structure is pretty sound and we haven't seen massive companies going bust here.

Also another piece of advice, your chances of getting the right visa are increased depending on your profession/qualifications and even with your choice of city/town.

What are the best websites for Immigration Advice? Best just to call the immigration board yourself. Criteria has recently changed..

Was it worth it? Yep

Do you actaully feel the benefits of living in a warmer country? Or do you still finish work and go home to watch TV? Well winter here (Adelaide) is pretty much like Autumn at home. Still goes dark at 5pm... In summer the lifestyle cannot be beaten. Not one of my friends just go home after work... In fact I'd say apart from sleeping 90% of my time is spent outdoors. Live sport is really good value and plentiful.. Aus vs Japan $20 a ticket.. Aus vs South Africa test in perth $20 bucks.. International rugby 7's $10 a go... Aussie rules tickets $20. Considering that 20 bucks an hour is pretty much minimum wage over here it's pretty good!

How bad is the recession over there? Again can only speak for South Australia but if you work in civil engineering or construction you'd have no worries at all.. A lot of money being spent and more in the pipeline (excuse the pun)

Are you glad you did it? Yep

Any further tips? Give it a go... The cost of living is low and wages are good...

Bit sure about that cost of living thing, beer in Adelaide would be close to the most expensive in Australia.

In Adelaide? Not here mate... Average price prob $5-6 max.. Perth and Melbourne are dearer where you'll pay $8 average. Your prob better placed to comment on Sydney.

Adelaide is the cheapest area in Oz to live especially house prices

Modes - you thinking of travelling, using the working visa or living there?

what degree you doing? i am just nosey :-)

I'm not sure really. My initial plan was to try and locate myself in and around Sydney. Whilst trying to find a job that would pay enough to make it worthwhile for me to stay. Then I considered travelling around and just doing odd jobs here and there. I would think I will only get in on a 2 year student visa, until my degree is done.

My degree is in Business Studies. Just the 1 year to go, doing it part time whilst working 4 days a week.

Nothing wrong with being nosey. A good friend of mine lives on the gold coast so I would definately have to spend a few months up there.

Was it worth it?

Are you glad you did it?

Any further tips?

The main DIMIA (www.immi.gov.au) site is best cos it's up to date and they change the rules fairly often.

Yes it was absolutely worth it, it's warmer, cheaper, cleaner, safer, less depressing and much better standard of living. The only thing I miss from home is Rovers, naturally, M&S and decent chocolate. I definitely feel the benefits of the warmth and sun, Spring and Summer are fantastic, can get pretty hot here though (like 45c / 110f) but you manage. Winter can get cold, never freezing and nowt like England, but still cold.

The recession isn't as bad as everywhere else, Australia still has 4 triple A banks out of 6 in the whole world! People are losing jobs and growth has slowed but since a lot of the Aus economy is supplying China who are growing I think we'll just miss out on a full blown recession.

My tips would be to come here, study for 2 years or more then apply for PR if you want to stay. If you have a job on the Occupation in Demand List you should get in easy, otherwise DON'T come here on a business sponsored visa, if you lose your job you lose your visa. There was a recent case of a woman from Bolton who came to work for KPMG, lost her job and her work visa. She's $50,000 grand out of pocket after selling one home, buying another then selling again and her kids had all but settled down here and now have to go back to Notlob - now that's depressing...

In Adelaide? Not here mate... Average price prob $5-6 max.. Perth and Melbourne are dearer where you'll pay $8 average. Your prob better placed to comment on Sydney.
Well the last time I was in Adelaide it was more expensive to buy a Coopers Pale there than it was to buy it in Sydney (SA "Pint" = NSW Schooner). Which was a bit of surprise considering it's made in Adelaide.

Anyway, you're right about the housing prices, but in the end you have to live in Adelaide. ;)

My dad moved to Sydney 5 years ago and he will never come back. He loves it there. Ive been over to visit twice and it seems to me like an amazing lifestyle. Everyday after work was simply a case of a bbq on the beach or a bit of fishing or just chilling with a beer in some form.

However

Don't underestimate losing the ability to watch rovers week in week out. Family you will miss but speak to on the phone so it's fine...and when you do see them it's better because you haven't seen them for ages. BUT losing rovers....it's a nightmare. It's the biggest pain in the backside for me and i only live 2 hour flight away. Watching the games on tv just isn't the same, especially in oz when you have to watch at 3am or something. Yes they have great sport events in oz but nothing can replace it in my opinion. I have a season ticket here for FK Teplice and i go there to try and get some comfort but at the end of the day it's not rovers. This pre-season i gave in after over 3 years being here and bought a rovers season ticket aswell as my Teplice one which he mrs was furious about because it means il be spending the new kitchen money on more flights to England....flights from Australia wouldn't really be practical :rover: so in a nutshell DON'T DO IT :rover:

The main DIMIA (www.immi.gov.au) site is best cos it's up to date and they change the rules fairly often.

Yes it was absolutely worth it, it's warmer, cheaper, cleaner, safer, less depressing and much better standard of living. The only thing I miss from home is Rovers, naturally, M&S and decent chocolate. I definitely feel the benefits of the warmth and sun, Spring and Summer are fantastic, can get pretty hot here though (like 45c / 110f) but you manage. Winter can get cold, never freezing and nowt like England, but still cold.

The recession isn't as bad as everywhere else, Australia still has 4 triple A banks out of 6 in the whole world! People are losing jobs and growth has slowed but since a lot of the Aus economy is supplying China who are growing I think we'll just miss out on a full blown recession.

My tips would be to come here, study for 2 years or more then apply for PR if you want to stay. If you have a job on the Occupation in Demand List you should get in easy, otherwise DON'T come here on a business sponsored visa, if you lose your job you lose your visa. There was a recent case of a woman from Bolton who came to work for KPMG, lost her job and her work visa. She's $50,000 grand out of pocket after selling one home, buying another then selling again and her kids had all but settled down here and now have to go back to Notlob - now that's depressing...

The women in question worked with my girlfriend who is also an accountant. Apparently she was truly bad at her job and a bit of a piece of work for good measure.. I wouldn't read too much into that particular story.

She's $50,000 grand out of pocket after selling one home, buying another then selling again and her kids had all but settled down here and now have to go back to Notlob - now that's depressing...

Be careful, pal.

England's one of the best countries in the world. Many people would say the prospect of living In Australia is depressing.

Be careful, pal.

England's one of the best countries in the world. Many people would say the prospect of living In Australia is depressing.

I love England and would live there, no worries. But I'd like to hear from these 'many' people that would find living in Australia depressing.

But some of us can be objective.

I want to spend a couple of years in Australia after next year working as a doctor, but I'd always move back here. Sure the weather's better there but England for me has a lot more going for it overall...at least for the stuff I like anyway.

Beer? ;)

I want to spend a couple of years in Australia after next year working as a doctor, but I'd always move back here. Sure the weather's better there but England for me has a lot more going for it overall...at least for the stuff I like anyway.

Tgm, you'd enjoy working for the Flying Doctor mob. Work is hard, but you'd get to see the outback.

Archived