BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Best Dogs....

Most of the dogs recommended on here would fit most families requirements. For my money, the key post is Paul's though. Its a big ask of any dog's brain to be able to discern "stranger who I am supposed to protect my family from" from "stranger who I am supposed to welcome into my house". For my money the best bet with a family (therefore assuming children?) is a soppy breed, but with a reasonably loud bark which should be enough to put off most intruders.

A labrador is the winner for me (and I'm on my second) - although as puppies they do playbite A LOT. My wife used to refer to our current one as "the crocodile", it does hurt, without doing any damage, but they soon grow out of it. Alternatively, my parents had the most wonderful German Shepherd.

As important as the breed is the breeder - if you can see both parents you should have a pretty good idea of the dog you will end up with.

I disagree, i wouldnt go with a less 'soppy' dog because whilst they may well bark here and there, they wont exactly scare potential thiefs off if they notice their is a jack russel or a lab in there!

Id go with a more nuts dog like an Staffy, Rotty or Akita - the key hasnt got much to do with the dog type - its more about the training you give the dog. Trust me I have alot of experience with dog training.

As important as the breed is the breeder - if you can see both parents you should have a pretty good idea of the dog you will end up with.

As important as the breed and the breeder are the new owners for a similar reason. I dislike badly trained dogs intensly........ almost as much as badly trained kids. In 90% of such cases one need look no further than the owners.

Another vote for labrador here. Ours sits behind the door and barks the house down if someone she doesn't recognise comes in unless we tell her to shut up. It was quite funny when the Jehovah's came calling, they seemed to think I was lying when I said she was a puppy. :P

They do playbite when they are young/teething though, but it can be taught out of them quickly especially with chews and good strong toys.

We have a golden retriever called Austin,not the most vicious dog but his bark would give the most prolific burglars a heart attack,always well tempered and just lies about most of the time ,hes 9 now,an absolute brilliant lad. :rover:

• 2 weeks later...

Loyal, loving and Protective ?

Look no further than an English Springer Spaniel.

Had mine for 13 years and he is an absolute gem. Never leaves my side, will frighten off anyone who approaches the house and is the third child that we didnt have.

I can honestly say he is the best dog I have ever had out of German Shepherd, yorkies a Rotty.

There are sadly lots of dogs in rescue so I would urge anyone to 'rescue' rather than going to Puppy Farms, backyard breeders etc who put money first before the welfare of their puppies and inparticiar breeding bitches (litter after litter after litter....and so on) :angry2:

As for the choice of breed, read up on them and you will learn whether they are for you, for example a Springer needs lots of excersise and plenty to occupy the mind. We help out for a rescue charity, link in sig. Good Luck in whatever you decide Blueboy :) !

n1133652031_30246789_5573.jpg

n1133652031_30377084_5699559.jpg

My future brother in law has a French Mastiff called Jake. He's boistrious, but he is calming down now he is about a year old. He is also the size of a horse and is just great.

Dogs should never be allowed on furniture.

btw ......or upstairs.

I know a woman selling them if you want another? She only has 1 left - litter of 4 - ready to go in a few weeks....

Thanks Hughesy but we don't want another just yet. We go away a fair bit and having a dog is very tying. Will wait until we get back from Zurich next summer and then see what happens. If we do, it will definitely be a JR.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived