BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Best Dogs....

i am mulling over the thought of getting a dog that will protect me and my family, as well as being loyal and affectionate. there are litterally loads of dogs out there which fit some if not all of these criteria. i used to have a kelpy cross labrador, but god bless her she died 18 months ago at the age of 17. i want a dog for my family that will sit by us (for example) when watching tv, sleep at the foot of our bed and be welcoming upon returning from work. these are all hypotehtical examples of what i am looking for......but to be more exact i am looking for a dog that is protective, loyal, affectionate and tolerant. can anybody give any advice at all, please??

I don't think you need to look any further than a Rottweiler. We've had them for over 10 years and there fantastic dogs. The common perception is of a vicious brute of a thing, but if they're brought up properly then they're absolutely brilliant.

The only downside might be the cost of keeping one, but its definately worth looking at.

My parents have always had German Shepards and they are fantastic. They are so soft and sappy its untrue but are big and loud and look the part when it comes to people at the door. All of ours have let kids maul them quite happily.

The only problem with them is that the idiots at the kennal club have deliberately bred in a deformaty with their hind legs which, as is the case with our last dog, can end up crippling them. It really is a travesty what the Kennel club and its members get away with mandating "pedigree" dogs. I think I would stick to mongrels from now on. Rant over.

Depends what you want - You need to think about your circumstance - is someone in all day? Or will it be on its own the majority of the working day? Do you want a dog that wants loads of walking?!

If you want a dog that will protect you no matter what, will be as soft as you want with your kids, and will also give you lots of love - An Akita is another very good option. Also another good thing about Akita's is that they are not noisy dogs - they dont bark alot, however they will absolutely destroy anyone that dared break in.

Staffy's are good for kids & families - See my pic, he's a blue staffy.

Rottys are also very good, but very big and powerful, but ever so loyal.

Also if your thinking of getting a new dog - consider rescue please....there are thousands of puppies in them places.

• Backroom

Bah real mean have Shih Tzu's :P

We have a Shih tzu and and Chihuahua / Yorkie cross, beautiful affecionate dogs but we weren't bothered about the whole protection side of it to be honest amd not having a big garden or house it would seem unfair to have anything bigger

Jack Russells are very affectionate and very protective with a "the smaller you are,the harder you are" mentality..Just a set of small teeth on legs second only to the flea on how high it can jump relative to its size..

You just made my day with that description. Spat out my coffee! :lol:

Just to add my two penneth: I had a little Scotty Dog (called Jock) who sadly died last year. He was a snappy little bugger if anybody had a go. It's like he could sense any animosity towards me as his owner and was VERY protective and loyal. He always slept outside my bedroom door. He'd be on my lap while watching TV in the evenings, or cuddled up in front of the fire in winter. And at christmas he happily wore a little santa hat that my nan had knitted for him....I'm welling up here....

Bah real mean have Shih Tzu's :P

We have a Shih tzu and and Chihuahua / Yorkie cross, beautiful affecionate dogs but we weren't bothered about the whole protection side of it to be honest amd not having a big garden or house it would seem unfair to have anything bigger

Shih Tzu-Bichon Frise cross is the way to go. Very intimidating :lol:

I have a Golden Retriever/Poodle mix. Very loyal and affectionate, pretty much the way you describe that part.

Unfortunately, if someone were to break into the apt, he'd just go and get them some toys.

Loyal, loving and Protective ?

Look no further than an English Springer Spaniel.

Had mine for 13 years and he is an absolute gem. Never leaves my side, will frighten off anyone who approaches the house and is the third child that we didnt have.

I can honestly say he is the best dog I have ever had out of German Shepherd, yorkies a Rotty.

We have two border collies from the same litter.

They are nearly 11 months old now.You need extra patience with them as Border Collies are prone to being too smart for their own good.

They are intelligent and loyal dogs and I guess they would protect us part of the "pack".A stranger approaching the house would probably be put off by their bark.Although at this stage I suspect the dogs would want to play if the stranger entered the yard.

Jack Russells are very affectionate and very protective with a "the smaller you are,the harder you are" mentality..Just a set of small teeth on legs second only to the flea on how high it can jump relative to its size..

As a child I was attacked by one of these vicious little brutes despite having known the dog for years. It lived next door, I was about 10 or 11 and playing in the garden. The dog came into our garden, attacked me and had to beaten off by my father. I'd be very wary of Jack Russells. I had a collie / alsatian cross who was a very nice dog and from what I have seen of other dogs of the same cross the characteristics are quite common.

In my view the three things you are looking for, affection, loyalty and protection are very difficult to combine. Any dog with a sufficiently aggressive streak to provide the protection you require is as likely to turn on the people it knows as a stranger. I would be careful about what I wished for.

Got to admire their spirit but they are virtually untrainable,shed their coats 24/7 and get run over all the time. If they were the size of a labrador they'd be so dangerous that they'd be a. banned and b. hunted down and shot!

All dogs are sh1t machines and health hazards and I don't like many pedigree dogs but the ones that I could put up with are ...

a. Boxers. Absolutely dippy and bloody useless but superb personalities, affectionate and high on comic value. I'd love one but I know it's rank stupidity would do my head in

b. As far as guard dog I've a preference for Dobermanns. I could not trust Alsations or Rottweillers as far as I could throw em. I only know one Maremma dog and imo that is so protective of it's family group that it has definite potential for killing robbers, gypo's and the like (mind you that is what it was bought for) ditto for Tibetan mastiffs etc. Most guard dog breeds are very protective of their 'family' but could you live with the consequences of them attacking innocent strangers / children etc? btw Blueboy why do you feel that you need a guard dog?

c Favourite dog of all for me has got to be the collie and the best looking of those is the Border Collie. Faithfull easiest to train by a mile but like most med-large long haired dogs they really need to be living outside.... and certainly not allowed into the bedroom Blueboy! Our dog (collie cross bitch) lives outside in the outbuildings and is allowed into the utility room for an hour or two twice a day for food. She is as faithful as they come, superbly obedient and barks loudly if anyone is about without ripping the throats out of all and sundry. Unfortunately collies are not suited to living in towns, can suffer psychiatric problems through being kept there and supposedly have the worst record of all dogs for attacking humans.

This is a bit of fun ... http://selectadog.pedigree.com.au/

FFS it's burgled!

Ever heard of a play on words? Lighten up a little.

My sis had a black labrador & it was the best natured dog i`ve ever come across. I absolutely loved that dog to bits. One of my sisters cats had kittens & they used the black labrador as something to climb on. The dog would just lay there & take it.

We've got a labrador. Soft, soppy, affectionate and if we ever get burglarised he'll be throwing the women and children behind him as he legged it in the opposite direction... :blush:

lol reminds me of my Black Lab Cross(dunno what with, but he def had lab in him) who was pretty much as you describe yours. Thing is although he would probably have wanted to play with the burglars he actually had a pretty big bark on him if he heard anything outside so he probably would have put off potential burglars anyway. Clever fella policed the house without actually having to do anything other than a strategicly timed barking session. :tu:

Archived