BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Away Fans In Bbe Boxes Again .

ABBEY

The no mingling with the opposing fans rule is confusing to me. In the USA, there is no "home" and "away" sections. Whether its hockey or baseball (the two games I watch at the stadium) everyone is wearing colors, everyone is mixed together, and there aren't too many problems. And people are drinking heavily, as there are beer kiosks everywhere and you can bring the drinks to your seats.

It's a game. The only thing worth fighting for is country and family (and I'd even exclude a few of my cousins from the "worth fighting for" list).

But I shall soon experience the Rovers first hand. My uncle and I are planning to fly into England in March for 10 days. Two Saturdays, home and away, with the weekdays spent touring whiskey distilleries and/or castles in Scotland. I should be in a better position to compare and contrast the English fans and the American fans. I may do a article for the AYSO local flyer. :tu:

The guys in the BBE should bring a LARGE rovers flag to games. If anybody in the boxes wants to play silly buggers, then the flag should be put up infront of their window......thus blocking their viewing pleasure ;)

....failing that, just smear pies & stick bog-roll all over the offending area`s window :tu:

The no mingling with the opposing fans rule is confusing to me. In the USA, there is no "home" and "away" sections. Whether its hockey or baseball (the two games I watch at the stadium) everyone is wearing colors, everyone is mixed together, and there aren't too many problems. And people are drinking heavily, as there are beer kiosks everywhere and you can bring the drinks to your seats....TOTAL DIFFERENT SMOSS.YES I TALK FROM EXPERIENCE ,IVE BEEN TO THE BRONCOS BOTH IN DENVER AND AZ ALSO IVE SEEN THE DB;S 3 TIMES AS WELL...THERES HARDLY ANY AWAY FANS FOR ONE AND THE BEER IS WEAK.:P

It's a game. The only thing worth fighting for is country and family (and I'd even exclude a few of my cousins from the "worth fighting for" list).

But I shall soon experience the Rovers first hand. My uncle and I are planning to fly into England in March for 10 days. Two Saturdays, home and away, with the weekdays spent touring whiskey distilleries and/or castles in Scotland. I should be in a better position to compare and contrast the English fans and the American fans. I may do a article for the AYSO local flyer. :tu:.....WHISKY AND COLOUR BTW :P

But I shall soon experience the Rovers first hand. My uncle and I are planning to fly into England in March for 10 days. Two Saturdays, home and away, with the weekdays spent touring whiskey distilleries and/or castles in Scotland. I should be in a better position to compare and contrast the English fans and the American fans. I may do a article for the AYSO local flyer. :tu:

Don't forget a thick pully and a waterproof top smoss. Arizona is a different world from East Lancs.

Yes, but, did the fans of basketball and hockey spend thhen 70s and 80s beating the @#/? out of each other?

Nope. We are far too sensible for those antics in the USA. We save our fighting for invading the occassional foriegn country.

Don't forget a thick pully and a waterproof top smoss. Arizona is a different world from East Lancs.

So I've read. It's been between 36-70 Fahrenheit here this winter, but sunny and clear skies. My understanding is that Lancashire is wet, cold, and gray. Which sounds ideal, as I am not used to that weather and it'll make an interesting change.

And Abbey, I readily acknowledge that American beer is largely weak. On the other hand, we've lots of micro brews putting their product on the market. Including a very good (and very strong) brew called "Arrogant @#/?" from the San Diego area. I highly recommend it. It's now the beer of choice among the guys I BBQ and golf with.

Not impressed with Dingles in the BBE. That's just stupid.

The dingle in the BBE box was a 60 odd year old fella who would have been a corporate guest. It's not really that our of order. As soon as he was seen to celebrate in front of the home fans he should have been taken away from view. End of story.

What was stupid was the idiots hurling objects including coins at the boxes, what was that going to achieve???

Smoss if your fans are so well behaved could you explain how a fan from pitt got a drink laced with anti freeze was given in Chicago because of who he supported

I have friends in the USA and I can tell you from first hand experience that there is pure hatred between Boston Red Sox & New York Yankee's fans. My friends Aunt was attacked by a Yankee's fan outside Fenway a few years ago.

They certainly don't have the hooligan culture but they are not that far off. When the Patriots won the Superbowl in 2004 there were riots leaving cars overturned and burnt out, one idiot drove his 'SUV' into a crowd of fans celebrating killing one of them. There was similar riots when Boston Red Sox won the 'World' Series in 2007.

Smoss if your fans are so well behaved could you explain how a fan from pitt got a drink laced with anti freeze was given in Chicago because of who he supported

I don't know anything about that. Not that I doubt it happened, I just haven't heard about it.

In the USA there are violent persons (i.e. predatory jackals preying on those who they view as being weaker then themselves) at games. They are by far the exceptions, not the rule. I suspect the same is true of England (and will know when I get a chance to see it in person). The difference is one of stereotypes, which seems more ingrained in English culture, and even more accepted, as indicated by the books and movies on the subject.

I don't know anything about that. Not that I doubt it happened, I just haven't heard about it.

In the USA there are violent persons (i.e. predatory jackals preying on those who they view as being weaker then themselves) at games. They are by far the exceptions, not the rule. I suspect the same is true of England (and will know when I get a chance to see it in person). The difference is one of stereotypes, which seems more ingrained in English culture, and even more accepted, as indicated by the books and movies on the subject.

Stereotypes can be very misleading.

The books and movies about football violence and hooliganism bear no resemblance to what I see at the footy. There may be a minority of troublemakers, but there is in any society.

To base a view of purported English cultural acceptance of violence and hooliganism on books and films would be an error IMO.

I don't think that there is any such cultural acceptance in any event.

DanLad, I believe you are correct.

As a non-expert, I think the difference is the perceived reaction of the younger people. From what I've read, England has something called 'chavs' which sort of feed the problem. In the U.S., our stereotypcial fan is a fat middle aged man who, while he might be inclined to engage in that sort of behavior, find it would be far too much in the way of effort to get himself going, and would much prefer to save his energy to get to the beer kiosk.

That is a poor attempt at humor, as I more or less fit that stereoptype.

Stereotypes can be very misleading.

The books and movies about football violence and hooliganism bear no resemblance to what I see at the footy. There may be a minority of troublemakers, but there is in any society.

To base a view of purported English cultural acceptance of violence and hooliganism on books and films would be an error IMO.

I don't think that there is any such cultural acceptance in any event.

Nor do I. There wasn't even in the 80's. It might have been 'acceptable' amongst those who did it but the rest of English society despaired. My father hated football because of the hooliganism. He was a copper in the later 70's early 80's and told us stories of potatoes with razor blades embedded in them and the like. It's interesting to note that at the zenith (or nadir) of football violence, public disorder in general was at it's highest occurance. Think of the riots that occured then in Birmingham, London (Brixton), Leeds, Manchester etc.

As a non-expert, I think the difference is the perceived reaction of the younger people. From what I've read, England has something called 'chavs' which sort of feed the problem. In the U.S., our stereotypcial fan is a fat middle aged man who, while he might be inclined to engage in that sort of behavior, find it would be far too much in the way of effort to get himself going, and would much prefer to save his energy to get to the beer kiosk.

LOL!

I hadn't thought of it in those terms.

I hope that you enjoy your trip over here to watch the footy in any event! Maybe there's a chance that I'll bump into you at a beer kiosk(concourse bar) and if I do, I'll buy you a pint!

Ah, Chavs... (Sorry about the sound quality...)

Archived