BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Early End To The Season

Iceman

I have no idea if this has ever happened, but if the bad weather continues to cause havoc with the games and with a World Cup in June, could the FA end the season early?

Im not sure what implications there might be, as teams who are in the relegation zone could be relegated with half the season to go. Has anything like this ever happened, and if it should happen, will the FA decide to not relegate anybody, and allow 3 teams from the Championship to be promoted and extend the number of teams next season?

I have no idea if this has ever happened, but if the bad weather continues to cause havoc with the games and with a World Cup in June, could the FA end the season early?

Im not sure what implications there might be, as teams who are in the relegation zone could be relegated with half the season to go. Has anything like this ever happened, and if it should happen, will the FA decide to not relegate anybody, and allow 3 teams from the Championship to be promoted and extend the number of teams next season?

That will never happen. Rovers play tonight and then again on Thursday, then we play Fulham at home on Sunday with the Villa away leg on Tuesday. Everybody will soon catch up the games that have been postponed. Time for the Pro's to put in a bit of graft and prove their worth.

it was just a thought that came to mind, as i know something similar happened before and a season was ended early. You cannot rule the possibility out, if the weather becomes worse and more games are postponed.

it was just a thought that came to mind, as i know something similar happened before and a season was ended early. You cannot rule the possibility out, if the weather becomes worse and more games are postponed.

All the pitches are fine, the only issue has been the surrounding areas to the stadiums. Now everybody has got on top of that it will be under control.

I'm not aware of a season ended prematurely in Britain, anybody else heard of that? There is more than enough weeks left in the season to play a good few midweek games yet. For example, Rovers have only had one game postponed due to the weather and that has already been rescheduled for Thursday. Top flight clubs have only had one game postponed due to the weather apart from Wigan & Bolton who have had 2 games postponed.

The weather has improved dramatically already, it was 32 degrees F when I left the house this morning just after 6am, last week it was as low as 11 degrees F.

Interesting to know! Needless to say the pitches are in far better condition these days. Unless we have The Day After Tomorrow happening then I can't ever see that situation arising again - at least not in the Premier League. There are also fewer teams in the Premier League compared to back then.

Which makes me wonder if teams actually do end up playing more games than previously!

I'm sure I'm right in saying, that during the winter of 1963 rovers postponed an FA cup tie against Middlesbrough on ten ocassions.

that was in the paper this morning!! it was eventually played on the 11th March!

What a memory eh?

Braziers on the pitch trying to thaw it out. Don't see that nowadays.

Not Ewood, but the same scenario at Manchester City in 1953:

A+team+of+four+men+%27thaw+%27+out+Manchester+City+Football+ground+with+braziers.+They+started+in+the+morning+and+worked+well+into+the++night.+Straw+was+laid+on+the+ground+after+thawing+out+to+prevent+the+pitch+re+freezing.January+1953.jpeg

What a memory eh?

Braziers on the pitch trying to thaw it out. Don't see that nowadays.

I saw those on the news recently at Norwich I think it was.

http://www.edp24.co.uk/content/edp24/sport/football/norwich-city/story.aspx?brand=EDPOnline&category=SportNorwich&tBrand=EDPOnline&tCategory=xDefault&itemid=NOED28%20Dec%202009%2014%3A56%3A31%3A717

I've been trying to get my head round your original question all day. It doesn't make a lot of sense. The football authorities cannot evn conceive of ending the season early because of the impact on clubs involved in the fight for the top four places, the relegation positions and promotion from the Championship.

While I very much doubt it would happen the only possibility would be for the season to be extended if the weather proved to be extremely severe, as in 1963. for a prolonged period. If the season was extended to the point it interferred with the world cup, almost impossible I'd say, the only question would be whether clubs had to release players for WC games or not.

Basically though none of it is going to happen.

Archived