BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Iraq War Inquiry

Is it just me or is this a pointless waste of time and money? Yes there was mistakes, yes the intelligence was flawed but at the end of the day what is going to come from this inquiry? Nothing is going to happen when the conclusions are published.

In the grand scheme of things there are far more important things to be concerned about/focus on i.e. the economy for example than whether this war was illegal or not.

Is it just me or is this a pointless waste of time and money? Yes there was mistakes, yes the intelligence was flawed but at the end of the day what is going to come from this inquiry? Nothing is going to happen when the conclusions are published.

In the grand scheme of things there are far more important things to be concerned about/focus on i.e. the economy for example than whether this war was illegal or not.

The fact that there are reportedly more coppers than scruffy hippies and tree hugger protestors gives a certain validity to your opinion.

Haven't heard much on the radio yet but from what I have heard I think Teflon Tony is playing a blinder and living up to his nickname.

Pack up and go home everyone, it doesn't matter if Tony Blair's a war criminal! We need to save the precious pennies that are spent on this inquiry, and use them to pay off the deficit. It's a stickleback's piddle in an ocean when it comes down to the expense, and it's hardly diverting Gordon Brown from his very important job of screwing the country up good and proper, but let's not embarrass Labour, eh?

The relatives of soldiers who have died out there would warmly applaud your sentiments.

Pack up and go home everyone, it doesn't matter if Tony Blair's a war criminal! We need to save the precious pennies that are spent on this inquiry, and use them to pay off the deficit. It's a stickleback's piddle in an ocean when it comes down to the expense, and it's hardly diverting Gordon Brown from his very important job of screwing the country up good and proper, but let's not embarrass Labour, eh?

War criminal? Do you honestly think Blair and Bush are going to be charged with war crimes?

The relatives of soldiers who have died out there would warmly applaud your sentiments.

Of course i feel for the relatives of those that lost loved ones but lets face it they know the risks when their loved one/relative joined the armed forces. Especially after 9/11 and the war in Afghanistan it was obvious that if you joined the armed forces there was a good chance you may have to serve in a combat zone.

War criminal? Do you honestly think Blair and Bush are going to be charged with war crimes?

Of course i feel for the relatives of those that lost loved ones but lets face it they know the risks when their loved one/relative joined the armed forces. Especially after 9/11 and the war in Afghanistan it was obvious that if you joined the armed forces there was a good chance you may have to serve in a combat zone.

No, I don't think they will be charged. The establishment would never allow that. But the argument should be whether they should be charged. If we went to war on a false pretext, there must surely be a case, no?

Yes, if you serve in the armed forces you'll be exposed to risk, but that shouldn't include unnecessary conflicts.

Those in power must be held accountable, I for one am very glad they're having to justify what happened, and I'm rather saddened that you see it as a pointless encumbrance.

Bryan are you aware there have been 2 previous inquirys into the Iraq war, today Blair has covered topics he has already had to 'justify'on 2 previous occasions.

I am no Blair fan but this whole inquiry is simply pandering to a populist demand for heads on plates.

The Conservatives gave their full endorsement to the government's decision to invade Iraq and if the Chilcot inquiry is not a political witchunt (sp?) as it claims then William Hague and his henchmen should also be held to account this week.

Yes, if you serve in the armed forces you'll be exposed to risk, but that shouldn't include unnecessary conflicts.

A soldier's job is to serve, not question whether a war is necessary or not.

Its a big waste of public funds because basically, everyone who cares already has made their mind up already. Either you think it was a wrong and/or illegal or it was valid, or in the case of most of the general public you don't really care any more.

The outcome of previous inquiries have proved nothing, and yes this one encompasses a bit more than the others did but the outcome wont matter to those who have already made their mind up. To sum this up one of the serviceman's mothers said before it began "I don't care what the inquiry finds, I know it was illegal and he's (Blair) a liar and a murderer".

The Conservatives gave their full endorsement to the government's decision to invade Iraq and if the Chilcot inquiry is not a political witchunt (sp?) as it claims then William Hague and his henchmen should also be held to account this week.

A soldier's job is to serve, not question whether a war is necessary or not.

Only you are deluded enough to try and apportion the blame on the SHADOW government. Blair, Brown and Campbell are the ones that should be blamed for the invasion- The Tories were privy to the same lies, deceit and hogwash as the rest of us- who are you going to blame next the Queen?

BTW Jim Michael Ancram was the shadow foreign secretary at the time of the Iraq invasion, Hague wasn’t appointed until 2005.

Do you not get it RVR ?

Crooked men do crooked things.... they trashed our economy, they trashed Iraq, they trashed our values.

Didn't Bush jnr continue what Bush snr started?

Wasn't it about oil?

Didn't Bush jnr lean on Blair (because he was the softest 'ally' he could bring onside) to get round the UN?

Is the world a safer place?

Isn't Britain targeted by terrorists because it is fighting America's wars?

Do France, Spain, Germany, Italy, Sweden have a similar terrorist threat to Britain?

Haven't the British army previously fought a failed campaign in Afghanistan?

Haven't the pushtans always grown poppies?

Wouldn't we be better off concentrating our efforts on UK border control and drug trafficking?

Didn't Bush jnr continue what Bush snr started?

Absolutely

Wasn't it about oil?

It was about Oil and West’s insatiable appetite for it, It was also about the US’s defence contractors lobbying the government. Also don’t rule out the House of Saud’s influence on the Bush government at the time, to date there are several Anglo-KSA oil projects in Iraq.

Didn't Bush jnr lean on Blair (because he was the softest 'ally' he could bring onside) to get round the UN?

The US didn’t really need the UK did it? I personally believe that Blair saw himself as some of sort global humanitarian- who believed the removal of Saddam was a noble cause- and he would be thanked for removing the tyrant

Is the world a safer place?

TBH- The threat of global terrorism in Iraq is probably signification smaller than failed states such as Pakistan, Yemen and Somalia. It is my own view that over the past 2 years circumstances in Iraq have improved dramatically, whilst the situation in Afghanistan have vastly worsened.

Isn't Britain targeted by terrorists because it is fighting America's wars?

Without doubt there is a correlation between the two wars and the growth of home grown terrorism. However, one can also apportion a vast chunk of the blame on a lack of social integration amongst our minority groups. Take the US for example- they reportedly don’t have any home-grown cells.

Do France, Spain, Germany, Italy, Sweden have a similar terrorist threat to Britain?

Haven't the British army previously fought a failed campaign in Afghanistan?

Haven't the pushtans always grown poppies?

Wouldn't we be better off concentrating our efforts on UK border control and drug trafficking?

I actually have a little sympathy for Blair. He did what he thought was the right decision at the time, but it turned out the wrong one. HOWEVER, if it was the case that we invaded Iraq and killed Saddam for the oil, then yes, he should be charged with war crimes.

If he GENUINELY believed that there were WMD, then he simply got it very wrong. But a mistake should not be punishable be jail or worse. If we were in his position and believed there were WMD, would we have made the same decision? I think so. And getting rid of Saddam did everyone a favour regardless.

Archived