BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Car Stereo Locked....

Just had my car in the garage having a few bits done to it. When i got it back i realised my stereo wasn`t working. They must `ve disconnected the battery for something & my stereo now needs a code put into it. The bad bit is, i don`t have the code!! It`s not in the manual.

So, i popped into Ford (they didn`t do the initial work) & asked if they could help me out. The ripping off ######s said it`d cost me £15+vat for them to get the code & put it in for me.

Does anybody know where or how i can get my stereo working again without being ripped off by Ford? :huh:

This probably won't work but if you have never changed the code there's a very slight chance 0000 or 1234 will work as these can be factory defaults. This more likely with phones etc but might work with a radio.

Might sound obvious but have you tried googling the make and model of your stereo and "unlock code". There is a software tool you can download which (if memory serves) works off the serial number on the stereo.

This happened to me recently and I phoned the main dealer from where the car was bought (citroen) and they asked for the chassis number - which I had. he just ave me the info over the phone.

Maybe try a different ford dealer?

Not sure if this is kosher but I heard that putting it in the freezer for a day or two will allow it to be reset.

Failing that just pay up. 15 quid is not a rip off in my book. You've sought to have work done cheaper elsewhere and have come unstuck. Mechanics, premises, admin and tools are charged out at about £60-£80 per hour and with the best will in the world it's going to take 15 mins or so. So there is not much profit for anybody. Just make sure that you write the code down somewhere safe.

You are a taxi driver I seem to think so a 15 min ride should get me centre to centre from Blackburn to either Preston, Clitheroe or Bolton. If you are willing to do that for £15 then give me your number. :)

Not sure if this is kosher but I heard that putting it in the freezer for a day or two will allow it to be reset.

Failing that just pay up. 15 quid is not a rip off in my book. You've sought to have work done cheaper elsewhere and have come unstuck. Mechanics, premises, admin and tools are charged out at about £60-£80 per hour and with the best will in the world it's going to take 15 mins or so. So there is not much profit for anybody. Just make sure that you write the code down somewhere safe.

If I have read Cletus' post correctly, they aren't actually going to give him the code - charge him £15+vat for them entering it.

When something similar happened to mine I got offered a similar price. I spoke to one of their head offices - I had to fax them the log book and they rang me with the code a few minutes later.

Worth a phone call I guess.

You are a taxi driver I seem to think so a 15 min ride should get me centre to centre from Blackburn to either Preston, Clitheroe or Bolton. If you are willing to do that for £15 then give me your number. :)

He could defrost it after and it would be ovenchipped

Archived