BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Chip Shop

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If any of you ever visit Aberdeen, there`s a chippy on the Great Western Rd we used to visit when i worked up there in the mid 90s. Cannot for the life of me remember its name, but it had won "best chip shop in Britain" about 3 times & had been runner up a couple of times too. They had a choice of about 6 types of fish with your chips & the 'large haddock' was a struggle to eat on its own! (without chips) I`ve not been up there in years, so not sure if it`s still there, but i totally loved that chippy! :tu:

Also visited a fish & chip restaurant in Seahouses, Northumbria a couple of years ago. Their 'giant Haddock dinner' was unfinishable! The fish hung over both sides of the plate, the chips were 'proper' chips & it came with mushy peas, two slices of bread & a large mug of tea/coffee. They had to wheel me out on a pallet truck when i`d finished! :unsure:

I know a lad from Whalley who runs a chippy in New York. I`ll try & find a link for it. I think it`s called "A salt & battery". All the stars go there when in town. He`s met Madonna, Elton John, Aerosmith, Ruddi Juillianni (mayor of NY) amongst many many others. He`s also featured on an american food tv challenge show. Matt seems to be doing well for himself :tu:

....found it.

A salt & battery

(photo of Matt half way down webpage)

also found a link to the tv show he featured in....

(parts 2 & 3 are on youtube too)

I come bearing bad news, Clayton street chippy is changing hands as of next week.

Thats a shame...... bloody tough act to follow thats for sure.

It's like how MoN described the Man Utd job "I wouldn't like to follow Sir Alec but I'd rather follow the manager who does."

If any of you ever visit Aberdeen, there`s a chippy on the Great Western Rd .....

You mean the Ashvale chippy Cleatus, and yes its still going strong and an Aberdeen institution. There are some damn good ones just further south in Stonehaven as well and the famous Bervie Chipper in Inverbervie. All in all the jocks know a bit about deep frying :D

Can't believe the news about Clayton St chippy. Nothing better than a "sit in" supper with your mates on the way home from the pub when I was a young 'un.

Aye Clayton Street Chip shop has been sold!

Harwood's finest chippy is passing into new ownership after the Saturday just gone, so it will be the last time "MemoryMan" Dave will be taking orders.

The new owner is a bloke called Dan, who already runs some chip shops in Yorkshire, he lives in Great Harwood & will take over the chippy doing the frying.

Also Dave's eldest daughter will be kept on for the short term and she will still make the home made puddings, but the pies will now be bought in.

(Disaster)

It sounds as well like the range of what they will be selling will become more like your standard chippy in that they will be selling things like sausages, curry sauce, etc.

Got to say I am truly gutted at this news, so last Friday the Family Unit partakook in the best chip shop fare in the UK, probably for the last time...

Also Dave's eldest daughter will be kept on for the short term and she will still make the home made puddings, but the pies will now be bought in.

(Disaster)

It sounds as well like the range of what they will be selling will become more like your standard chippy in that they will be selling things like sausages, curry sauce, etc.

Big mistakes. If it aint broke etc. It's going from unique and retro to just another chip oyl. Whatever he might be he's certainly not much of a marketeer that Dan is he?

Tried Clayton street today, still good with a much bigger menu.

I had a homemade fishcake with was pretty much 2 dabs with fish in between, was nice.

Fish Tram Chips at the bottom of the tramway in Llandudno gets my vote.

Crispy on the outside yet fluffy on the inside chips.

Best yet

Archived