BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Limewire shutdown.

Its about time it was shut down as well, Sites like that are killing the music scene, Sooner or later musicians will just stop producing music,

:rolleyes: You play in a band by any chance??

If it wasnt for sites that allow you to share music, quite alot of todays bands etc wouldnt have made it!!

Do you agree its correct to charge you £12 for a CD from which you could just record the songs from the radio?? Na me neither!

so do you think that it is OK for somebody to take all that time to produce music for us to listen too but not get anything for it, Nah me neither

No mate i`m not in a band but i do DJ and produce music, its not easy you know, its not like you can make a tune in 5 minutes

i do agree their has to be middle ground because yes these sites have helped people to get their stuff out there, but 50 million users a month is just taking the ######

The problem is £12 for a CD or whatever is just too expensive....its only natural if people can get it for free and with greater ease then they will do.

Agree there needs to be some sort of middle ground, but basically to download a album or film should only cost you a couple of quid.

Its about time it was shut down as well, Sites like that are killing the music scene, Sooner or later musicians will just stop producing music,

Haha. Nonsense! People start making music because they love it, not for the money. The only people who it could possible drive away are those that are just in it for the money, which would be no bad thing.

Edit: By the way, that's not saying piracy is right, because it isn't. The music industry only have themselves to blame though, they'll never, ever stop people being able to download music for free. They just haven't reacted at all to the way people listen to music, and it doesn't really show any signs of happening soon.

It's a slightly double edged sword as well. I'm not going to pretend I haven't done it. However, I go to gigs on a regular basis, and I've been to loads that I wouldn't have if I hadn't downloaded the album. It happened on Thursday, in fact.

Haha. Nonsense! People start making music because they love it, not for the money.

Same as professional footballers. If professional football was banned tomorrow 99% would still end up playing football at the weekends, even if it was only with their mates in the local Sunday pub league.

so do you think that it is OK for somebody to take all that time to produce music for us to listen too but not get anything for it, Nah me neither

No mate i`m not in a band but i do DJ and produce music, its not easy you know, its not like you can make a tune in 5 minutes

i do agree their has to be middle ground because yes these sites have helped people to get their stuff out there, but 50 million users a month is just taking the ######

Record labels make money from albums, artists make money from concerts. File sharing actually helps smaller artists as "customers" listen to a much wider variety of music and are far more likely to give something a try. Musicians either need a resurgence in the radio or for file sharing to continue.

• Backroom

Haven't used a file-sharing service is god knows how long... when I was a kid I used WinMX and Kazaa... dunno if they're still around or not. Never used limewire, surprised so many people still do. Newsgroups are far superior. Though I only download legally, of course ;)

Music has been around for a long time before corporations started copyrighting it 'on behalf of' musicians, selling it at inflated prices and taking the lion's share of the profits.

Haha. Nonsense! People start making music because they love it, not for the money. The only people who it could possible drive away are those that are just in it for the money, which would be no bad thing.

I've heard many musicians interviewed who say they did it to get girls...

Music has been around for a long time before corporations started copyrighting it 'on behalf of' musicians, selling it at inflated prices and taking the lion's share of the profits.

They don't really take the lion's share of the profits. You are generally screwed when you sign your first record deal, it will be anywhere from 5-15%, so in today's market it is virtually impossible for the artist to make a profit, but the record label's profit margin is by no means obscene. I've never understood why people feel like record labels are somehow evil. They play a vital role in the production of the vast majority of the music that the public hear. Why is it that they should do this at a loss?

They don't really take the lion's share of the profits. You are generally screwed when you sign your first record deal, it will be anywhere from 5-15%, so in today's market it is virtually impossible for the artist to make a profit, but the record label's profit margin is by no means obscene. I've never understood why people feel like record labels are somehow evil. They play a vital role in the production of the vast majority of the music that the public hear. Why is it that they should do this at a loss?

I'm not suggesting they should do it at a loss. My cousin is in a band that's fairly popular, and has probably made more money by the age of 21 than I'll see in a lifetime, so I'm not saying record labels are evil either. Just pointing out to blackburnravers that music won't cease to exist because people get songs from file sharing sites.

Selling music for extortionate prices is what's wrong with their business model, and what's pushing people towards downloading tracks for free or spending money on iTunes to get tracks they can't keep forever. When I was a kid I'd always swap songs on tape, record things off the radio and so on. It fostered a love of music, and I've spent plenty of cash on the artists I really like.

I'd hate to add up how much I've spent on my CD collection, but what's worse is thinking that there's some anonymous guy in a suit out there, taking his cut of every £12 CD I buy and raking in the dough for doing nothing at all. A parasite, basically.

Archived