BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Problems registering new users

Glenn

This week we have has a huge flood in new member applications, initially I thought it was the imminent threat of making the board members only around 11pm, but it seems we (like many many forums this week) have been targeted by spammers.

This has two knock on effects, firstly we've included an added security step as part of the sign up process, you are now asked a random very simple question about Rovers, these aren't just questions we'd expect Rovers fans to know, but things we'd expect ANY football fan to know. But if you're genuinely struggling to answer them, email admin@brfcs.com

It also means we're only approving accounts that look genuine. If you happen to be something like a Latvian with a polish email address called KKYXSBoy123XXD (or something equally unlikely) and we haven't activated your account AFTER 3 OR 4 DAYS then email admin@brfcs.com letting us know who you are.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Do you automatically delete those who don't post at all in 6 months or so? Good idea to get rid of those who are probably not genuine Rovers fans or really interested in posting on here.

Do you automatically delete those who don't post at all in 6 months or so? Good idea to get rid of those who are probably not genuine Rovers fans or really interested in posting on here.

Nope. With good reason. Lots of people "lurk" (read, but don't post) and the forum won't track what you've read and what you haven't if you're not logged in.

I actually ment to lock this thread after making the post, but I'll leave it for now and move the discussion to Ask Admin later.

Glenn, i made mention of the time frame, when you notice a huge amount of new members. This is during the 2 transfer windows. I gave you the idea, of not accepting any new members during those times. We have some good posters from other clubs like Zulu, Tom etc, but wouldnt it make sense to restrict fans from other clubs, into certain threads ie transfer thread.

Unless they have an email address like villadave@hotmail.com there's no way to tell who they support upon registration, also I'm not sure it'll let us do permissions by thread, only by forum.

However, that isn't what Glenn is talking about at all - the applications he's talking about are from robots, not supporters of any team, and they don't particularly care about the transfer window.

I did think we had been invaded by spambots with the thread that popped up last night.

Yeah, sadly just as I miss legit accounts, I accidentally allow the odd spam bot.

... and yep, we've always welcomed fans of other clubs (as long as they show a little respect and also don't hassle Nicko for tips).

Archived