BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Disabled Supporters Player of the year Award

Won by Michel Salgado who charmingly had his young son with him who looks exactly like a young double!.

Clubman of the Year award - Tom Finn. Richly deserved imo.

Must say it was a superb turnout by the entire first team squad Steve Kean and even John Jensen. In previous years under Souness Sparky and Sam I've felt that appearances have been regarded pretty much as an unwelcome obligation with a limited turn out or the players who were there disappearing at the earliest possible opportunity after 20 or 30 minutes. Last night everyone stayed at least an hour and a half.

Maybe it was felt the players needed to mount a bit of a PR offensive after recent happenings on the pitch but well done anyway.

Well done again to Senor Salgado and Mr. Finn. Salgado said he was grateful for the award but above all else he asked for everyone's total support during the next two crucial home games.

On Fornica Steve Kean told some other fans there that the type of player he would compare him to was Juninho but at present it's felt he'd be bustled off the ball too easily so were trying to strengthen him up physically.

Thanks, Rev. Sounded like a good show.

Let's hope that unity and team spirit can translate into some results.

One member of the squad looked particularly down in the dumps and another one didn't seem quite as bad but still not in the happiest frame of mind. No prizes for guessing who if you check recent stories in the Press.

;)

Everyone else seemed to be in very good spirtits I must say. Certainly enough to suggest they'll at least be giving it a go for the remainder of the season.

Do you know if we've signed his kid up to the academy???

Hee hee. Maybe, although I'm guessing he's only about seven.

Although maybe Jerome will have to be rehired before we do that.

Sorry for re-posting this again, but I put it in the Venky's thread last night, thinking they should see it:

Just got back from the Disabled Supporters' Club Player of the Year Party.

Great night. Almost every one of the players and the manager turned up, spent over an hour chatting to the supporters, being photographed and signing autographs. Nothing was too much trouble. Michel Salgado was Player of the Year, presented with the Trophy which is now named The Ronnie Clayton Award by Ronnie's family. Bryan Douglas, Jason Wilcox and Kevin Gallacher were there too. Supporters ranged in age from a baby to a very old lady in a wheelchair.

What was needed, was one or more of the Rao family to be there to see exactly what our great club is about - it's not just a football stadium and a training ground, it is a historical institution that means a great deal to many people who care about each other and about Blackburn Rovers FC. Just because it happens to be on the other side of the world from them doesn't mean that they can forget about it and let it die.

I fervently hope there will be many more such nights, and that the Rao family will realise that they have responsibilities to the club and the people who love and support it.

I'm given to understand they were invited. I know it's a long way, but if Steve Kean can do it ...

Must say it was a superb turnout by the entire first team squad Steve Kean and even John Jensen. In previous years under Souness Sparky and Sam I've felt that appearances have been regarded pretty much as an unwelcome obligation with a limited turn out or the players who were there disappearing at the earliest possible opportunity after 20 or 30 minutes. Last night everyone stayed at least an hour and a half.

Maybe it was felt the players needed to mount a bit of a PR offensive after recent happenings on the pitch but well done anyway.

Well done again to Senor Salgado and Mr. Finn. Salgado said he was grateful for the award but above all else he asked for everyone's total support during the next two crucial home games.

On Fornica Steve Kean told some other fans there that the type of player he would compare him to was Juninho but at present it's felt he'd be bustled off the ball too easily so were trying to strengthen him up physically.

This is actually reassuring. Salgado does not surprise me at all. He's a passionate professional through and through. But the rest of the first team and Kean showing up is a timely demonstration that they care.

Maybe we will beat ManC. :tu:

Not having that for one minute, some of the more effective players in the league this year are hardly man-mountains. Besides, given the state of the art training facilities we have, and presumably top-notch nutritionalist advice on hand, he's had sufficient time to bulk up a bit.

Not having that for one minute, some of the more effective players in the league this year are hardly man-mountains. Besides, given the state of the art training facilities we have, and presumably top-notch nutritionalist advice on hand, he's had sufficient time to bulk up a bit.

Can't comment on how true it is, only relaying what was apparently said so don't shoot the messenger.

It sounds quite feasible to me, Sam said it would be several months before Kalinic would be strong enough for the PL and he's been here nearly two seasons now and still hasn't made an impact.

Always like the disabled supporters choice of player of the year, they seem to deliberately go for an alternative vote. Not gonna choose Salgado on the official website but he's definitely one of my favourite players and his attitude and passion has been exemplary again this season. He seems a great guy and shows Rovers a hell of a lot of respect considering where he's come from, something much less successful players like McCarthy, Yorke and Ferguson always thought they were above doing.

Its hard to say because we dont know where he was starting from but i say after 3months he would just start showing lean muscle.

I have to say the boys were brilliant at the Disabled Supporters party.

I have two teenage granddaughters with special needs, autism and learning difficulties, and there were quite a few there with similar disablities. My granddaughers love this event - no-one makes them feel different or out of place and they can go and talk to the players freely and be fussed over. I can't tell you how much it means to them. To me, this is what our club is about, every supporter matters - and I hope this feeling will return for those who feel it has left them. The Academy lads are always there, too.

It was the same at the Fun Day. Seeing the looks on the faces of the little boys near us, as one after another the players came by and had their pictures taken with them.

I went down to Brockhall this morning, to watch the Academy lads play Bolton. It was beautiful down there in the sunshine and the lads did themselves proud, winning the match.

Archived