BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] 2010/11 Match Report: Rovers v Manchester United

Watched it in the pub with a mate who is a WHU fan. He left at half-time and said "I hope you win but you know what will happen - if United haven't scored by the 70th minute the ref will step in and award a dodgy penalty."

Foresighted barsteward.

And I'm still steaming at the last 10 mins but I will at least remind every plastic fan of their cowardly display whenever they mention the number 19.

Not that foresighted RDU - more like predictable

Already stated my worries in the 'Relegation Battle' thread ahead of the game

In Topic: The Relegation Battle Ahead

12 May 2011 - 13:20 PM

As much as a pessimist as I am about Rovers I think I'm the only one who thinks we have a chance of winning and the least In think we will get the draw. The only issue I worry about is the officials and the decisions going against us.

As for the 'cowardly display' think you may end up with egg on your face should you try to gain points bearing in mind our 'adventurous committed display :huh: ' to counter it ... not

On reflection, having had a few days to digest the events of last Saturday, I'm now not concerned about the penality incident. I was reminded by a Dingle colleague of a similar 'nailed on' penalty last season, over at their place, where a certain young Mr Olssen found his way to ground adjacent to a certain flabby goalie. So, perhaps there is such a thing as Karma..?

and in the the final analysis, if we finish in the bottom three, then we clearly aren't good enough to stay in the Prem. End of.

I still can't understand the people saying we should have gone for the jugular in the final minutes. This was after we had defended a lead for an hour and so were tired, after we had taken Samba off for Andrews (which we had to do, no criticism in that change but naturally we were a weaker side), we had Roberts up front who had done plenty of running and didn't have much left in the engine, against a team who are superior to us. Had we gone for it then the only team who looked like winning were United, and that point could well keep us up as it means teams around us now have to win rather than simply draw.

I imagine the only people who booed were the part timers who had paid the cash and wanted to see us dismantle United (which was unlikely), or indeed had only come to see United, and the people who couldn't grasp the importance of that point in comparison to a defeat.

I have no qualms about the penalty and we deserved the draw. Hugely satisfied with the display and I've been impressed with the way Kean has set us up against United, Arsenal, Liverpool, Tottenham and City. Not impressed with his driving but I'm sure that's for another thread.

Guest Wen Y Hu

Hughesy's man of the match announcement is now published on the front page here. Once again JJ is the clear winner.

Guest Wen Y Hu

Spot the deliberate mistake in Majiball's tactics article... Note that the following edit has been carried out:

But for me the main reason we lost was the second-half start. --> But for me the main reason we didn't win was the second-half start.

Ouch! :rolleyes:

Apologies for that and thanks to an alert member for alerting us.

I still can't understand the people saying we should have gone for the jugular in the final minutes. This was after we had defended a lead for an hour and so were tired, after we had taken Samba off for Andrews (which we had to do, no criticism in that change but naturally we were a weaker side), we had Roberts up front who had done plenty of running and didn't have much left in the engine, against a team who are superior to us. Had we gone for it then the only team who looked like winning were United, and that point could well keep us up as it means teams around us now have to win rather than simply draw.

Correct if we had opened up gone gung ho and lost against MU a loss today at Wolves would mean that any of those on 39 points would only need a draw today and not an outright win to relegate us.

• 2 weeks later...

How come united didn't get into bother for their players surrounding the linesman when Dowd blew his whistle ? I thought that was outlawed after the last time united did that with Roy Keane etc

I think you've answered your own question there, OJ.

It's probably time to let go now though... :D

Archived