BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] 2010/11 Match Report: Rovers v Manchester United

Published: Sunday, 15 May 2011

2010/11 Match Report: Rovers v Manchester United

by Parsonblue

See here for the full match report.

Rarely, in its long and illustrious history, can Ewood Park have witnessed the spectacle that was laid before spectators during the final 15 minutes of this vital encounter. With the scores level, both sides seemed to opt to keep what they had and engaged in an exercise of keep-ball which might have been more fitting for the training ground rather than a Premier League stadium. In fairness, Sir Alex Ferguson's men had the point they needed to claim a record-breaking 19th championship, while the Rovers seemed more than happy to settle for a point against the champions elect. Sadly, subsequent news of results from Bloomfield Road and the Stadium of Light quickly took the gloss off a hard-won point and the Rovers now travel to Molineux in the knowledge that their Premier League life is still in the balance.

On a chilly afternoon at Ewood Park both sides made changes for this vital game. Michel Salgado and Phil Jones were restored to the Rovers' defence, which, in turn, enabled Brett Emerton and Martin Olsson to occupy the positions on the wings. With Mame Biram Diouf being ineligible and Morten Gamst Pedersen dropping down to the bench, Steve Kean opted for the familiar 4-2-3-1 formation. Sir Alex Ferguson made three changes to his line-up with the introduction of Tomasz Kuszczak, Nani and Jonny Evans to his team.

It was the visitors who started the more brightly of the two teams with the Rovers sitting back and allowing United to dominate the opening stages of the match. The Rovers received an early warning when Wayne Rooney's cross caught out Chris Samba and Nani crashed a header against the bar after four minutes. It was a poor piece of defending by Samba, who was badly out of position, and reflected the nervous start that the Rovers had made against a United team who seemed determined to clinch the title as quickly as possible.

The opening period found the Rovers somewhat hesitant in possession as they struggled to gain a foothold in the match. United's intricate passing and movement threatened to overrun the Rovers for a time. Slowly, the tide began to turn as the Rovers started to enjoy a greater share of possession. Junior Hoilett, drifting between midfield and attack, started to cause problems, while Olsson began to find space on the left flank. On the opposite wing, Salgado and Emerton launched one or two promising moves that suggested the United defence could be caught out.

The first real chance for the Rovers came on ten minutes when a cross from Hoilett found Samba in the area. Unfortunately, the big central defender was unable to adjust his body shape to get over the ball and he blazed his effort over the bar.

As the Rovers continued to press forward, it was clear that Kuszczak looked increasingly nervous in the United goal. On twenty minutes the Rovers took the lead from a splendid piece of football. Salgado won a header in defence and set Jermaine Jones away down the right. The American international played a delightful through ball to Emerton, who had found some clear space to run into behind the United defence. He floated the ball towards the far post only to see it touched away by Kuszczak without any great conviction. The ball fell to Olsson on the byline and he quickly exchanged passes with Hoilett before picking out Emerton with a perfect cross. The Australian international wasted no time in sweeping the ball into the net with his left foot.

The goal not only lifted the crowd but the Rovers players grew in confidence and began to enjoy a larger share of the play. Although the visitors continued to threaten, the Rovers looked more assured in defence and, indeed, might well have extended the lead on 37 minutes. Once again it was Salgado who was the architect of the move when his glorious cross from the right found Olsson running into the left-hand side of the area. The young Swede met the ball on the full but, unfortunately, his first-time effort flew wide.

The second half began with United on the offensive and the Rovers looking to hit the visitors on the break. In an attempt to inject more creativity into the visiting attack, Paul Scholes was introduced at the expense of Fabio. The veteran midfielder was quickly into the action giving away a couple of free-kicks as he tried to stamp his authority on proceedings in the middle of the pitch.

Within minutes of Scholes entering the fray, the Rovers might well have doubled their lead when Emerton's right-wing cross found the head of Olsson after 65 minutes. The Rovers' left-winger out-jumped his marker, but his header thumped against the post with Kuszczak well beaten. Unfortunately, the Rovers were to pay dearly for this missed opportunity just a few minutes later.

Sadly, on the day that he was voted Player of the Season by the Ewood faithful, it was a rash piece of goalkeeping on Paul Robinson's part that enabled United to get back into the match. An exquisite pass by the evergreen Ryan Giggs found Javier Hernandez in acres of space between Phil Jones and Gael Givet. However, his first touch was not the best and the ball seemed to have rolled too far in front of him. It was sufficient to persuade Robinson to make a desperate dash from his goal in an attempt to reach the ball before the young Mexican. Sadly, Hernandez proved too quick for the former England goalkeeper and although his touch seemed to send the ball out of play, Robinson collided with him and the striker collapsed over the outstretched arms of the keeper.

Chaos ensued as Phil Dowd opted to consult his linesman before making a decision. Both sides surrounded the officials before Dowd pointed to the spot with 73 minutes showing on the clock. Rooney stepped up to take the penalty and calmly sent Robinson the wrong way as the ball flew into the back of the net.

The final fifteen minutes proved somewhat surreal as both sides seemed happy to pass the ball from side to side without making any serious attempts to get forward to win the game. The United players seemed content to pass the ball amongst themselves, deep in their own half, while the Rovers were happy enough to retreat to the halfway line and watch them do it. At one point it became so embarrassing that Phil Dowd looked over at Sir Alex Ferguson and seemed to query what was going on. However, whenever the Rovers got the ball they also engaged in a similar bout of passing with United happy to stand off and watch. While United had the point they needed, Steve Kean later admitted that the Rovers were caught on the horns of dilemma. Did they push for the win and risk losing by being hit on the break or settle for a point. In the end caution prevailed and the Rovers settled for a point that most would have gladly accepted before the match.

At the final whistle the United players and their supporters celebrated the historic 19th championship, while the Rovers seemed content with a point that finally saw them reach the magical forty-point mark. Unfortunately, results elsewhere dampened the celebrations of the home fans as the realisation dawned that Premier League survival was still not assured. The players came onto the pitch to bid a muted farewell to the fans, while United continued their celebrations at the Darwen End. As the United players finally left the pitch, the Ewood faithful gave them polite applause to acknowledge their achievement and in the hope that Manchester United would be returning to Ewood Park next season in a Premier League fixture.

Guest Wen Y Hu

Poll is now available here. Keep the poll thread for voting only and put your comments, etc., here, please. (This is due to limitations in the board software, which doesn't allow you to stop a poll without closing the thread...)

I watched the second half of this match in a pub in Kendal. It was packed with United fans. I found it excruciating when they got the penalty. I am still suffering from some sort of emotional overload 24 hours later. It brings it home to you how much you love the premiership ( and find it difficult to love United fans )

• Backroom

To those who bemoaned our lack of ambition at the end, whilst 3 points would have seen us safe imagine if we had conceded. It would mean after todays results that, if we lost and 2 out of 3 drew we would be down.

To those who bemoaned our lack of ambition at the end, whilst 3 points would have seen us safe imagine if we had conceded. It would mean after todays results that, if we lost and 2 out of 3 drew we would be down.

For what it's worth I think we would have done exactly the same in the last 10 mins if Sam Allardyce had still been in chargs. It was the sensible option given yesterdays situation and our goal difference.

As for the pen... Anybody rem Lucas Neill getting fouled in the area in the League Cup semi final 1st leg at Old Trafford? If I rem correctly it was fairly similar to yesterdays penalty except it was not given cos apparently the ball was on it's way out of play when he was decked. Anybody else rem this more accurately than me?

For what it's worth I think we would have done exactly the same in the last 10 mins if Sam Allardyce had still been in chargs. It was the sensible option given yesterdays situation and our goal difference.

Agree - we struggle to score goals as it is, pushing for another would have likely meant us conceding IMO.

When I saw United settle for a draw I was quite happy.

Who remembers 2001, second division, Fulham at Ewood.

I watched this match on TV in South Africa. It was a draw with about ten minutes left and Rovers were still going gung-ho for the winner.

I was screaming at the TV for them to slow the game down and settle for a point. But they didn't and what happened?

Fulham hit us on the break with a goal by Saha(?) and won the match.

I was gutted.

So if I understand all the posts on this correctly

1) Ferguson is a tactical genius who leaves 4 up front and then his defence passes the ball sideways until poor, unsuspecting teams try to get it back and then bang! Long ball to the 4 forwards and it's a goal. Blimey. It's a wonder they didn't do this all game if it's that effective

2) our options were let them do it or go all out gung ho attack

Don't buy that and I sincerely hope it doesn't come back and bite us

1) Ferguson is a tactical genius who leaves 4 up front and then his defence passes the ball sideways until poor, unsuspecting teams try to get it back and then bang! Long ball to the 4 forwards and it's a goal. Blimey. It's a wonder they didn't do this all game if it's that effective

2) our options were let them do it or go all out gung ho attack

1) They won the league. They beat teams all the time. Blackpool, for example, lost to Utd because they continued to chase the game. It makes sense that they find it easier to beat teams who chasing games than when they are defending. (7-1?)

2) How can it come back to haunt us? I would suggest not beating West Ham and Wolves (if it comes back to haunt us) would be what cost us. Not failing to chase the game against the champions after losing two of our most influential players.

That doesn't even consider the fact that going into the last game on 39 points after conceding a late goal to Utd that wasn't necessary to concede would be very demoralising.

1) They won the league. They beat teams all the time. Blackpool, for example, lost to Utd because they continued to chase the game. It makes sense that they find it easier to beat teams who chasing games than when they are defending. (7-1?)

2) How can it come back to haunt us? I would suggest not beating West Ham and Wolves (if it comes back to haunt us) would be what cost us. Not failing to chase the game against the champions after losing two of our most influential players.

That doesn't even consider the fact that going into the last game on 39 points after conceding a late goal to Utd that wasn't necessary to concede would be very demoralising.

I understand all that but it doesn't necessarily follow that NOT letting united play training passes would equal a goal now does it? And who knows, we could have created a chance or two, as unlikely as that sounds.

And of course it can come back to haunt us. We may have been crap in a lot of games this season but as far as I can see this is the only one where we haven't even TRIED for a portion of it

I understand all that but it doesn't necessarily follow that NOT letting united play training passes would equal a goal now does it? And who knows, we could have created a chance or two, as unlikely as that sounds.

And of course it can come back to haunt us. We may have been crap in a lot of games this season but as far as I can see this is the only one where we haven't even TRIED for a portion of it

I don't know the exact thinking. But maybe freshness comes into it. Why chase them down and wear your players out more chasing something that more than likely isn't going to come and could end up being worse? We had already taken two players off due to injury/fear of aggravating injury. Why risk losing somebody else for a very important match next week?

That's what I think anyway. I would have bitten my arm off for a point before the match and was hoping they would give up at the end and I'm glad they did.

I don't know the exact thinking. But maybe freshness comes into it. Why chase them down and wear your players out more chasing something that more than likely isn't going to come and could end up being worse? We had already taken two players off due to injury/fear of aggravating injury. Why risk losing somebody else for a very important match next week?

That's what I think anyway. I would have bitten my arm off for a point before the match and was hoping they would give up at the end and I'm glad they did.

I don't disagree about the point. Would have taken it before the game no question. Just feel a bit cheated really

Why do we now lock the other match thread so early? some of us latecomers may still wish to make comments. As for the penalty, never in my mind. By the letter of the law, perhaps, we always seem to be the victims of the letter of the law. As far as I was concerned the ball was unplayable for Hernandez, I have seen it time and time again, penalties waved away with the explanation that the striker could never have got the ball and I am sure we will see it again. Role reversal, Roberts going down in exactly the same situation I'll bet my house it's not given. What surprises me is the lack of furor over Samba's ruled out goal. If it was for a foul for a push then he should have been given a penalty for a similar push by Vidic before Samab collected the ball. Also Vidic barged into Samba before Samba ever so gently push Vidic off him. I tthought we played well yesterday and I was up cheering for a goal only to realize Ollsons effort had come back off the post. Hated the whole idea of playing out the game to a draw, just not right.

Well on to Wolves and a miserable last day relegation, well it is on the cards. I think I can fairly say we have been bad decisioned out of this league. United will have their minds on bigger things, Stoke will be suffering Wembley hangover and Spurs are just plain beatable. Very nervy end and I hope this time next week we are not discussing a match up with the Dingles.

My first chance to comment on the match and THE match changing incident, I've only seen MOTD highlights and not had chance to watch the whole game again.

Without trawling through the other thread, but has the question of whether Hernandez was offside when the ball from Giggs was played, been discussed? It wasn't on MOTD.

From my viewpoint, which is directly behind the linesman, my first reaction was that he was offside. I've read how linesmen do in actual fact get most of the decisions correct, but I too like to think that generally I can spot an offside.

As for the actual penalty in my opinion he was already diving before contact, the ball had either gone out of play or possession was lost. Yes there was contact, but in my opinion not enough to merit a penalty and if the interpretation currently suggests that such instances merits penalties, especially where simulation is more and more prevalent, then this requires amending to redress the balance.

But then again it is easy to give decisions for the likes of Man Utd in front of their supporters and it is seemingly even easier, in recent times, to give marginal decisions in favour of BRFC opponents. Add this one to the list we've been on the receiving in 2011.

By the way I couldn't recall if Samba'a disallowed goal was also considered, because similarly I thought that there was little wrong, besides two players grappling in equal amounts for the ball.

Good summary of the game. Marpleleaf in his blog has strongly criticised Rovers for not giving it a go at the end. I have mixed feelings about that with the equaliser conceded at West Ham as likely to be seen as big a missed opportunity in retrospect.

However, from what I have heard from people at the game borne out by what I could see watching on my screen, the key incident was when Samba became impeded by his injury about 5 minutes before the penalty. I am told that Samba and Jones were desperately signalling at our bench which were slow to react but for sure Fergie spotted it and the Mancs upped the running at our defence.

Samba was on the pitch for some 10 minutes after he signalled the problem and that could prove to have been a disastrous outcome if he doesn't recover for the Wolves game.

our options were let them do it or go all out gung ho attack

Trading punches and going at Utd gung ho when our first choice centre half is off the field along with our most potent attacker plus we've just brought on Keith Andrews and they'd brought on Berbatov who desperately needs a goal to be considered for the CL Final! Absolutely suicidal proposal RTH.

In a nutshell. You've answered your own point.

Why do we now lock the other match thread so early? some of us latecomers may still wish to make comments. As for the penalty, never in my mind. By the letter of the law, perhaps, we always seem to be the victims of the letter of the law. As far as I was concerned the ball was unplayable for Hernandez, I have seen it time and time again, penalties waved away with the explanation that the striker could never have got the ball and I am sure we will see it again. Role reversal, Roberts going down in exactly the same situation I'll bet my house it's not given. What surprises me is the lack of furor over Samba's ruled out goal. If it was for a foul for a push then he should have been given a penalty for a similar push by Vidic before Samab collected the ball. Also Vidic barged into Samba before Samba ever so gently push Vidic off him. I tthought we played well yesterday and I was up cheering for a goal only to realize Ollsons effort had come back off the post. Hated the whole idea of playing out the game to a draw, just not right.

Good post. I cant understand why there is a need for two threads for one match either. Re:Samba Dowd made up the foul it was nothing of the sort. Funny how he didn't blow for the first shove which was by Vidic.

• Backroom

Sean Davis I think wasn't it? Anyway, back to the United game.......

I remember his horrible little dance as well :(

Out of interest has there been another set of clubs to come up the same season and all continue to be premiership clubs?

I remember his horrible little dance as well :(

Out of interest has there been another set of clubs to come up the same season and all continue to be premiership clubs?

Yes - 2001-02 when Rovers (10th) Fulham (13th) and Bolton (16th) had all come up and stayed up.

• Backroom

Yes - 2001-02 when Rovers (10th) Fulham (13th) and Bolton (16th) had all come up and stayed up.

Thats what I meant I know we all did but it seems something of an isolated case where we have all stayed up since then (touch wood)

Watched it in the pub with a mate who is a WHU fan. He left at half-time and said "I hope you win but you know what will happen - if United haven't scored by the 70th minute the ref will step in and award a dodgy penalty."

Foresighted barsteward.

And I'm still steaming at the last 10 mins but I will at least remind every plastic fan of their cowardly display whenever they mention the number 19.

Archived