BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Allardyce: Thatcher killed football

Ah, classic Allardyce thread. Someone posts a comment he made about a worthwhile area of discussion and 3/4 ungrateful prats turn up to ignore the point entirely and insult him.

No, he's used a very serious issue to have a bash at someone who hasn't been in office for over 20 years, in the process ignoring the fact the problem increased dramatically during the time the party he supports was in office - not that I actually blame them, it's a no win situation when it comes to schooling.

The problem isn't just down to a lack of sports in school, it's a result of far wider social problems we have in the UK and sorry but the buck stops with parents, many of whom are failing their children. The comments Sam's made just prove he's not very bright and lacks the ability to think outside his own very small box and see the bigger picture. Still it should be expected, this is the bloke who claimed Prem footballers are paying too much tax :blink:

Thatcher killed off all that was good about this country so Sam's bang on the mark with his comments.

Managerial genius and he hates the Tories too.

I love that man to bits.

Why didn't labour resurect it then?

Ah classic Allardyce apologist. Someone posts a reasonable criticism of a flaw in Sam's position and at least one acolyte turns up to condemn any less than genuflecting response.

Apologist? Apologising for what? It seems some of our fans have suffered Men in Black style neuralizer treatment and managed to conveniently forget what he did for this club but Allardyce should never need apologising for by anyone connected with Rovers. Keeping us up would make him a top man in my eyes even if I was the biggest long ball-hating football purist on the planet. Like I said, ungrateful.

I grew up in the 80s and during the spring and summer months would play football EVERY day with the other kids who lived near by. There was some spare wasteland at the end of the road and we were on it all the time. 2 streets away there was another group of kids who were doing the same (although we were much better.. :glare: ) and so on and so on. Now when I'm back in the area I see the grass is overgrown and it looks like a ball hasn't been kicked in anger since about 1993.

It's got nothing to do with Thatcher and schools though. It's simply that 'working class' kids these days have 100 times more toys than we had. Kids TV 24/7, and computer games that have a little more staying power than Chuckie Egg! Not to mention overly paranoid parents who won't let kids outside to play unless they're being constantly supervised.

I grew up in the 80s and during the spring and summer months would play football EVERY day with the other kids who lived near by. There was some spare wasteland at the end of the road and we were on it all the time. 2 streets away there was another group of kids who were doing the same (although we were much better.. :glare: ) and so on and so on. Now when I'm back in the area I see the grass is overgrown and it looks like a ball hasn't been kicked in anger since about 1993.

It's got nothing to do with Thatcher and schools though. It's simply that 'working class' kids these days have 100 times more toys than we had. Kids TV 24/7, and computer games that have a little more staying power than Chuckie Egg! Not to mention overly paranoid parents who won't let kids outside to play unless they're being constantly supervised.

i agree with what you say and i dont really know how anybody could disagree its common sense really,

also there are many more local youth teams, youth leagues ect.. than there ever has been for the kids that do want to play.

No, but look at that article. When he was a kid he did so many sports that it kept him fit and lean. If he was born today he would balloon at a much younger age due to the lack of sporting options/lack of willpower/fast food culture/government policies, etc. He proves his own point!

Oh I getcha.

So the state of parenting in the country is so crap that they need the government to raise their children.

I can't wait for the little speaker in every house to tell us all to get in front of the camera and do our aerobic routines.

Could it be that he just eats to much and can't be arsed to do it himself? No, can't be personal responsibility surely.

I tell you, if it was not for government I wouldn't know how to wipe my arse.

• Moderation Lead

Sometimes, when Allardyce comes out with tosh like this, he should be banned from speaking in the media unless it's about his football team, and games they're involved in, as this is unbelievable even for him!

Oh I getcha.

So the state of parenting in the country is so crap that they need the government to raise their children.

I can't wait for the little speaker in every house to tell us all to get in front of the camera and do our aerobic routines.

Could it be that he just eats to much and can't be arsed to do it himself? No, can't be personal responsibility surely.

I tell you, if it was not for government I wouldn't know how to wipe my arse.

Indeed reb, too many folk enjoy the teat of the nanny state.

Thatcher killed off all that was good about this country so Sam's bang on the mark with his comments.

Managerial genius and he hates the Tories too.

I love that man to bits.

Gordon Brown disagrees and lays the blame squarely on previous Labour govts enforcing left wing lunacy. Maybe you and Sam need to revert to the hiustory books jim.

"Mr Brown admitted that Labour had made a 'tragic mistake' by allowing Left-wing councils to scrap competitive sports in schools in the 1970s and 1980s."

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1052542/Another-million-children-banned-competitive-sports-means-nearly-half-pupils-compete.html#ixzz1RmrK7c00'>http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1052542/Another-million-children-banned-competitive-sports-means-nearly-half-pupils-compete.html#ixzz1RmrK7c00

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1052542/Another-million-children-banned-competitive-sports-means-nearly-half-pupils-compete.html

Archived