BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Allardyce: Thatcher killed football

I'm a conservative but if what he says is true, then it was a mistake. Physical health is every bit as important to developing youth as acedmics. An hour or two a day kicking the ball around, running, swimming, climbing, etc. should be mandatory, in my opinion, for the youngsters.

I kind of agree with him on this, she did instigate all this, and then no one has done anything about it since, John Major and his goons helped it all along by authorising the sale of school playing fields, then Tony and his Crew, didn't rectify it, its all very well having a go at School meals etc. but if kids aren't getting the exercise, and they have no one making the effort at home, they are going to be lard arses, simple as.

The other factor, is male teachers, they have some new ones at my kids school, and they are the guys pushing the PE and out of school sports, no one else!

I kind of agree with him on this, she did instigate all this, and then no one has done anything about it since, John Major and his goons helped it all along by authorising the sale of school playing fields, then Tony and his Crew, didn't rectify it, its all very well having a go at School meals etc. but if kids aren't getting the exercise, and they have no one making the effort at home, they are going to be lard arses, simple as.

The other factor, is male teachers, they have some new ones at my kids school, and they are the guys pushing the PE and out of school sports, no one else!

Very true,at my lads primary school,they only do after school football and other activities if the HEADMASTER takes the training session (which he does in his own time without extra pay).

Regardless of which ever political party is in charge,if they ever want to tackle rising obesity then this is something that ALL politicians ought to do something about.

Fabulous hypocrisy from Allardyce.

Having a go at Thatcher for implementing unpopular, pragmatic, conservative policies when that is essentially exactly how he sets his teams up to play.

Christ he's an idiot. Kids are obese because they'd sooner blow things up on a telly, eat crap and generally suffer at the hands of incompetent parents. Children should be introduced to sport, there's no shortage of clubs for whatever sport you choose. I mean, I even played Rugby Union because Chorley didn't have a RL club back in my junior days and the bus to Wigan was too expensive.

Very true,at my lads primary school,they only do after school football and other activities if the HEADMASTER takes the training session (which he does in his own time without extra pay).

Regardless of which ever political party is in charge,if they ever want to tackle rising obesity then this is something that ALL politicians ought to do something about.

What he has to work past 3.30, disgusting.

If they want to tackle obesity then they need to start by getting shut of the incredible rubbish parents give children to eat and get parents actually bothering to take some responsibility in little Jonny and not relying on someone to do it for them.

As a school child of the 80's and 90's I dont remember any lack of after school sports. What I do remember was the weekly hours reserved for PE and games lessons being gradually whittled down through the years until it was a single 45min period per week (inc changing time).

As a school child of the 80's and 90's I dont remember any lack of after school sports. What I do remember was the weekly hours reserved for PE and games lessons being gradually whittled down through the years until it was a single 45min period per week (inc changing time).

I too was a Thatcher child and like you there was plenty of choice. However, I never noticed the PE times going, when I left school in '94 we did 2 hours of games on a Wednesday and 1 hr of PE on Friday. A few of us was allowed to go to the local gym to do weights on the Friday, we also had a small gym installed in the school that we could use during lunch time and after school.

They subject really pisses me off as I'm sick of hearing parents being so lazy when it comes to encouraging their children to get active, though it's not surprising when you say the state of some of them.

Nobody stopped teachers being paid for after school activities - they never were or at least not in any of the schools I've worked in or had friends and family work in. We even used to run a table tennis club on Saturday mornings in Yeovil as well as my husband coaching football and rugby after school. No overtime pay, no expenses , just part and parcel of the job. Doesn't happen so much now not necessarily because staff aren't willing but because a large number of parents can't be bothered to ferry kids about and they can't be allowed to walk home themselves as I used to after school. Don't know why, but then since parents at our school get the car out to drive their kids down the road to school, perhaps I shouldn't be surprised.

Nobody stopped teachers being paid for after school activities - they never were or at least not in any of the schools I've worked in or had friends and family work in. We even used to run a table tennis club on Saturday mornings in Yeovil as well as my husband coaching football and rugby after school. No overtime pay, no expenses , just part and parcel of the job. Doesn't happen so much now not necessarily because staff aren't willing but because a large number of parents can't be bothered to ferry kids about and they can't be allowed to walk home themselves as I used to after school. Don't know why, but then since parents at our school get the car out to drive their kids down the road to school, perhaps I shouldn't be surprised.

Nail, head, on the.

Ironic that Sam is complaining about obese people....

I think another of the culprits in this is the FA - football makes the organisation a ton of money and they should have stepped in at the time to save some of the 5,000 pitches.

Thatcher killed off all that was good about this country so Sam's bang on the mark with his comments.

Managerial genius and he hates the Tories too.

I love that man to bits.

Sam's quite right in much of what he says. However, we were never paid for doing sport after school and on Saturday mornings. It was part of the job and a very enjoyable part as well. However, when Thatcher changed the conditions of service for teachers without any discussion, in the mid-1980s, it soured the whole relationship between teachers and the employers. Furthermore she introduced a mountain of paperwork with the National Curriculum and the result was that Sport began to fall by the wayside. Indeed, it became a fight in the early 90s to keep a reasonable amount of sport within the curriculum as more and more pressure was put on teachers to do other things.

The simple fact is that woman never cared for sport in general and football in particular. It was a dark day when she became associated with Blackburn Rovers. :angry2:

So it's thatchers fault that Sam is fat?

Is that right?

No, but look at that article. When he was a kid he did so many sports that it kept him fit and lean. If he was born today he would balloon at a much younger age due to the lack of sporting options/lack of willpower/fast food culture/government policies, etc. He proves his own point!

Archived