BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] England Cricket Team

Barring a miracle for India this weekend England will become the number one test team in the world. With the current squad and back up players we have,we could stay there for a while. England at the moment remind me of the Ozzies in their pomp under Steve Waugh. What do you guys think?

Given the lack of quality in other Test playing nations, England could be tops for a while. Would be interesting to see if a tour of India would turn into such a cake walk but the current series has suddenly dropped from intriguing to embarassingly one sided.

Given the lack of quality in other Test playing nations, England could be tops for a while. Would be interesting to see if a tour of India would turn into such a cake walk but the current series has suddenly dropped from intriguing to embarassingly one sided.

Most international teams now mainly focus on Twenty20 development. It's sad to see but i suppose that's where the coin is these days. There would be alot of drawn tests in India but i still think we'd win by one test.

India have also been hit by a few injuries to crucial players. It certainly would have been a better series had they been fully fit and had a decent amount of cricket coming into it.

South Africa will be a good test and I do think that Australia will have got their act together by next summer.

England haven't won this Test yet so talk of No 1 status is premature but should they win as expected No 1 status will be well deserved and a long way from the dark days around a decade ago when we were near the bottom of the rankings and booed off at the Oval after losing to New Zealand. Getting to No 1 might prove to be the easy part however - staying at the top I suspect will be far more difficult. England have a fine array of fast bowlers to choose from but apart from present incumbents the batting looks thin.

India have been a big disappointment in this series. The team looks in need of reconstruction and some of the big names might not be around much longer. I wouldn't be surprised to see Tendulkar retire soon.

India are too old, too disinterested and too weak for test cricket. They're only interested in the shiny 20/20 and 1 dayers where toothless medium paced bowlers can plod along and keep the runs down. As others have said, only the saffers can compete with The Immortals (a reference to ancient Persia in case you were wondering). Other teams have a few fine players, but England seem to have so much depth. Perhaps it's down to a combination of having the two divisions and going all Jack Charlton with selections.

Next stop, a decent 1 day side.

• 2 weeks later...

Weather providing, England have one last day of the final Test to secure a memorable 4-0 series victory over India andconfirm their position as world No 1.

Can we take the last 7 wickets, will England need to bat again or will India bat the whole day and salvage a draw and will tendulkar score his long-awaited 100th Test hundred ?

Should be a fascinating day but whatever happens congratulations to Burnley's James Anderson for some wonderful fast bowling this summer.

Lovely to watch the India supporters faces as their hero Tendulkar went for 91.

Well played England - thoroughly deserved.

South Africa I believe could knock us off the top if they win their next set of matches setting up a tasty encounter with England next summer.

Archived