BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Could have Simon Garner made it in the Premier league of the 80's

chris

And Mike Harrison and Mike Ferguson - remember the water bucket at home v Coventry.

Before my time I think! My earliest memories (although I did go earlier) were of Ben Arentoft, Roger jones, Tony Field, Stuart Metcalfe, Barry Endean, Eamon Rodger etc. Think that must be early 70's, but was going 1968 with my dad. Can you name a few players from then, vague recolection of Conlon?

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Before my time I think! My earliest memories (although I did go earlier) were of Ben Arentoft, Roger jones, Tony Field, Stuart Metcalfe, Barry Endean, Eamon Rodger etc. Think that must be early 70's, but was going 1968 with my dad. Can you name a few players from then, vague recolection of Conlon?

Just googled, I remember Billy Wilson, Terry Eccles,Faz, knighton, kerr, Mulvaney, Martin, Quigley and Pickering. 1970/71 swason.

Simon Garner was the Gerd Muller of the 2nd div,

I for one was happy that Manu did not follow up their interest in him as I got to watch him for a longer period(selfish I know)

But I would say he would have scored goals at any level in his prime.

As it turned out he became a Rovers legend, can't be bad

Maybe John Connelly - right winger. He played for Man U and also the Dingles before Rovers.

Just googled, I remember Billy Wilson, Terry Eccles,Faz, knighton, kerr, Mulvaney, Martin, Quigley and Pickering. 1970/71 swason.

First game I saw was Rovers 7 v Spurs 2, 1963. Rovers team was:

Fred Else, John Bray, Keith Newton, Ronnie Clayton, Mike England, Mick McGrath, Mike Ferguson,Any McEvoy,Fred Pickering,Bryan Douglas, Mike Harrison.

A lot of Internationals in that team!

First game I saw was Rovers 7 v Spurs 2, 1963. Rovers team was:

Fred Else, John Bray, Keith Newton, Ronnie Clayton, Mike England, Mick McGrath, Mike Ferguson,Any McEvoy,Fred Pickering,Bryan Douglas, Mike Harrison.

A lot of Internationals in that team!

Aye, great team, my dad named me after Douglas!!! I think I was unlucky, started watching just as the rot set in! Although I did enjoy it, even in the 3rd division, along with the other 4,999!!! Always thought Roger Jones could've played higher and Tony Field and Metcalfe. But, we had our share of 'average' players, john O'Mara to name but one!

What summed it up for me - the day he scored 5 against Derby (what a day that was) Caldwell scored 5 for Bolton as well.

And I'm also pretty sure that Ian Rush also notched 5 for Liverpool that day as well. But it was a while ago.

What a great thread, a welcome distraction from the current madness.

Gennoe, Branagan, Keeley, Faz, Branagan, Miller, Randall, Barker, Brotherston, Garner, Thompson. No point guessing back then! Take it or leave it! It was like that for years, give or take a couple of players (Quinn, Lowey, Bell, Mail, Patterson, I'll have missed a few no doubt).

I wonder how many of the current team I'll remember in 25 years?

And I'm also pretty sure that Ian Rush also notched 5 for Liverpool that day as well. But it was a while ago.

Gennoe, Branagan, Keeley, Faz, Branagan, Miller, Randall, Barker, Brotherston, Garner, Thompson. No point guessing back then! Take it or leave it! It was like that for years, give or take a couple of players (Quinn, Lowey, Bell, Mail, Patterson, I'll have missed a few no doubt).

This photo is again from 1984 in the Dressing room just before the Carlise game.

rovers1984.jpg

What a great bunch they were. Who's missing? They were in the Dressing room but I stupidly took the photo too early.

You'll probably remember them, bob; whether you remember them with as much affection is up to you!

Mind you, playing Jim Branagan at both right back and left back requires some imagination!! ;)

This photo is again from 1984 in the Dressing room just before the Carlise game.

rovers1984.jpg

What a great bunch they were. Who's missing? They were in the Dressing room but I stupidly took the photo too early.

Barker, Keeley, Faz, Miller, Small Boy, Lowey, Broth, Garner and my mate Branagan on the floor.

Seems odd to quote myself, but from the Olden Days Memories section for the 84~85 season...

"A week later a home game against Carlisle. I remember us dominating the match, and winning 4-0 in an easy romp. I stood on the Blackburn End, near the old bar at the back. Seems a bit bizarre now looking back, the BBE having a little cafe type thing tucked up at the rear of terrace, selling beer! It had women and kids serving in it, and service was a little poor. Pies and crisps also sold, not much changes really does it. I didn't drive, and used to get either the Tom Jackson coach from Chorley market, or sometimes the Cliff Owen coach-can't remember if they operated at the same time or if one replaced the other, but again it does seem a little odd today that a coach firm would operate a service from Chorley to Ewood just for the match, a journey of around 7 1/2 miles! Used to get quite full some days too."

Good Stuff In Here

Would people consider Garner and similar level to Atkins who was just about good enough for the PL, and was remembered for the best moment of his career even if he didn't play much.

Just think that if Atkins was five years younger he would have never seen the top flight either.

Maybe it was partly timing.

Barker, Keeley, Faz, Miller, Small Boy, Lowey, Broth, Garner and my mate Branagan on the floor.

Seems odd to quote myself, but from the Olden Days Memories section for the 84~85 season...

"A week later a home game against Carlisle. I remember us dominating the match, and winning 4-0 in an easy romp. I stood on the Blackburn End, near the old bar at the back. Seems a bit bizarre now looking back, the BBE having a little cafe type thing tucked up at the rear of terrace, selling beer! It had women and kids serving in it, and service was a little poor. Pies and crisps also sold, not much changes really does it. I didn't drive, and used to get either the Tom Jackson coach from Chorley market, or sometimes the Cliff Owen coach-can't remember if they operated at the same time or if one replaced the other, but again it does seem a little odd today that a coach firm would operate a service from Chorley to Ewood just for the match, a journey of around 7 1/2 miles! Used to get quite full some days too."

Good Stuff In Here

I think Mark Patterson arrived just as the photo was being taken, Terry Gennoe was getting kitted out, maybe Mick Rathbone was around too. I recall that not all the players had arrived.

Great Link

Would people consider Garner and similar level to Atkins who was just about good enough for the PL, and was remembered for the best moment of his career even if he didn't play much.

Just think that if Atkins was five years younger he would have never seen the top flight either.

I think it's slightly more than timing, chris [Who IS that on your avatar,btw?!]; it's whether your face fits with the current manager.

I've made the point before about Stephen Warnock & John Carew, both of whose hearts must have sank when Gerard Houllier was appointed manager @ Villa; both of them having fallen out with him @ Liverpool & Olympique Lyon respectively. He off-loadedf Carew to Stoke, but Warnock survived and seems to be doing okay under the current Villa management.

I think it's slightly more than timing, chris [Who IS that on your avatar,btw?!]; it's whether your face fits with the current manager.

I've made the point before about Stephen Warnock & John Carew, both of whose hearts must have sank when Gerard Houllier was appointed manager @ Villa; both of them having fallen out with him @ Liverpool & Olympique Lyon respectively. He off-loadedf Carew to Stoke, but Warnock survived and seems to be doing okay under the current Villa management.

I watched the famous Ginola pass from 1993 the other day, Houllier hated him.

just reminded me.

Avatar is Ric Flair, don't like him muc just thought iot was interesting.

Sorry Chris, but Atkins couldn't lace Garners boots, I always felt Atkins was a weak link, could be me though, I always groaned when i saw his name on teamsheet! Sorry, if that upsets you. we all have different memories.

I think Mark Patterson arrived just as the photo was being taken, Terry Gennoe was getting kitted out, maybe Mick Rathbone was around too. I recall that not all the players had arrived.

Great Link

Kevin Hird and John Bailey, best full backs? How good were they? I was so depressed when they moved up! Does anyone remember Ben Arentoft? I was so proud we had an international playing for us! Ah, the memories, Mick Hickman, Paul Bradshaw, (graham?) Oates, and what about Graham Hawkins, he was brilliant (memory recall could be iffy)!! Somebody stop me!

Good Stuff In Here

I used to travel from bolton to Chorley to pick my Uncle up, then travel to game, for years! Always missed first 5 minutes, drove me mad. Always a Riversider, used to stand towards the end we were attacking, then, at half time, walk the length of Riverside to watch us attack that end. Thunder from the Riverside stand, when they stamped their feet, those were the days eh!

I didn't drive, and used to get either the Tom Jackson coach from Chorley market, or sometimes the Cliff Owen coach-can't remember if they operated at the same time or if one replaced the other, but again it does seem a little odd today that a coach firm would operate a service from Chorley to Ewood just for the match, a journey of around 7 1/2 miles! Used to get quite full some days too."

Jacksons and Owens ran at the same time. I remember as many as five coaches some games.

Sorry Chris, but Atkins couldn't lace Garners boots, I always felt Atkins was a weak link, could be me though, I always groaned when i saw his name on teamsheet! Sorry, if that upsets you. we all have different memories.

doesn't upset me when your a kid you only remember moments and I remember him getting a few great goals maybe 92-94, no doubt he was not one of the stars of the era.

Still got his chance in the top league in a great team.

It does not matter if he made it or not.

What he did have was an honesty, and that my friends is what has vanished from our once great club.

Thank you Simon, you filled my childhood with moments of great joy. For that I'm proud to of seen Garner play.

Atkins is an example of what a top manager can do.

Under McKay he was awful, yet under Dalglish he became the mainstay in midfield. The play off final being the prime example. The guy ran midfield that day.

You're right, now I think about it, he was poor under McKay and I probably let that taint my view, but he did improve enormously under Dalglish.

Archived