BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Could have Simon Garner made it in the Premier league of the 80's

chris

I started watching Blackburn, well was forced to watch Blackburn around 1990, my first memory is Speedie.

People on go about Garner but I really missed his career and he was sold for 30k in 1992 (or 500k if you ask Glen Mullan).

Was Garner just loyal to Blackburn in an era where players may have been more loyal. I remember Seve Ball being in the 1990 World Cup squad and still being loyal to Wolves.

Any thoughts as to whether he could have stepped up to Div 1 (or PL as it is now)?

I know alot of you will remember the 80's well but few remember the 50's & 60's other then Jim MK2 and GAV.

Just always wondered how good he was.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know alot of you will remember the 80's well but few remember the 50's & 60's other then Jim MK2 and GAV.

GAV?! :lol:

Garner was top class Chris. However he liked a drink and a smoke, which may have put some top clubs off. But he could finish and was quick over the first few yards. Better than what we have at the moment I'd suggest anyway. A legend.

It's a good question.

I'm of the same era as you and although I appreciate that Garner was a legend in terms of relating with the drinking & smoking fans - and had a good lower-level league record (one in 3/4?), I really don't know how he'd have held up in the top leagues, against the best players.

For me, Shearer is the biggest legend I've seen play and by far the greatest striker I've ever seen - I just think he's on another level to players like Garner.

The truth is we'll never know for sure but I do think he was good enough to have been given the chance.

He was quick over the first few yards and was an instinct striker - not great on one on ones when he had time to think about it. The goal vs Liverpool in the early 80's (83?) is typical of the sort of goal he scored.

His work rate closing down defenders was also good.

If Rovers had some sort of cash injection back then and gone up or he had gone to a half decent top flight club in his early 20's and worked with better coaches and players its a definate yes from me. Although his habits would have had to be better lol

He could cross a mean ball too!

There was a big rumour he was going to Liverpool at the time he was in his prime - shame he didnt get the chance to prove his worth at a higher level, but after saying that - was bloody glad he didnt go!

Top man!

his life style didn't help but maybe that would be different if he was around today. It would have been interesting to see how far a fit and dedicated Gardner would do today. Maybe someone like Chopra is his modern day equivalent. Good goal scorer but not good enough for the highest level. Shearer on the other hand was the best striker in premiership history.... Except Jason Roberts

I'd have said without a shadow of a doubt.

Was at Portman Road when we were away at Bobby Robson's Ipswich in the Milk (League Cup). The Ipswich centre halves were the England duo of Osman and Butcher and they couldn't live with Garns. He scored twice to put us two up at half time- the first a burst between the two of them and a cracking shot past Cooper and the second he powered off an Osman tackle and finished with aplomb.

This was a game by the way which Rovers had asked to have postponed because we had so many players out through injury or illness and we were effectively only playing wityh 8 first teamers- Noel Brotherston was certainly not playing.

In the second half, Ipswich got going and Paul Marriner scored a hattrick with John Wark smashing the other but at 2-2, we had a swift counter ttack and Garns again left the Ipswich defence for dead striking a tremendous left foot effort that Cooper could only parry. When it came back to Garns he passed it across goal to Windy Miller who precisely passed the ball just inside the post Garns original shot had been destined for.

So we lost 4-3 but that quite extraordinary Ipswich midfield and defence had no answer to Simon Garner that evening.

A couple of season's later away at top flight QPR Garns collected a ball just inside his own half and swept the length of their half cutting inside and smashing it past Phil Parkes. Again we lost (2-1) with Stan Bowles getting the winner but Garner was certainly of the same class as his top flight opponents.

I may be a sentimental old fool; but the one thing which bugged me about Dalglish was was that, once we'd made it into the Premier League, he didn't give Simon even a substitute's appearance in that League. Simon may have been coming to the end of his career; but I thought [and still do] that he'd given us so much over the years in Division 2 that we sort-of "owed" it to him to have played him for at least part of one match in the Premier League.

I never met him, but he came across as a proper character; someone the fans could identify with.

I started watching Blackburn, well was forced to watch Blackburn around 1990, my first memory is Speedie.

People on go about Garner but I really missed his career and he was sold for 30k in 1992 (or 500k if you ask Glen Mullan).

Was Garner just loyal to Blackburn in an era where players may have been more loyal. I remember Seve Ball being in the 1990 World Cup squad and still being loyal to Wolves.

Any thoughts as to whether he could have stepped up to Div 1 (or PL as it is now)?

Just always wondered how good he was.

Without doubt he was good enough for the prem. If only we had a young Simon Garner now.

This is a very similar debate to the "Would Henrik Larsson make it in the Premier League" discussions that we used to have in Glasgow. I think Mr Larsson proved beyond doubt in his matches in Europe and for Sweden that he could, then went on to win the Champions League to remove any doubt. Garner's record in cup games against top division sides was good, as highlighted by earlier posters. I suspect he would have been a very decent top division striker in the late 70s/early 80s, and I base this on one simple fact.

The guy who was acknowledged as the best in the business at that time had no pace (other than over the first 2 yards) but had a great awareness of what was going on around him and was an instinctive finisher. Similar attributes to Garns.

How ironic that the very same guy was the Rovers manager that sold Simon, thus preventing him from playing the odd Premier league game as a Rover.

Where Dalglish was better than Garner was in one v one situations - but back to goal on the edge of the box they were very similar.

People mention Garner's 'habits'.....a surprising amount of footballers did similar (and worse) in those days, top flight players too! Half the Rovers team smoked.

I would snap your hands of for even a 33 year old Garner in our team at this moment in time!!!

As with many others to me a Legend, so much so my son has Garner as his middle name.

As has been said, his vices may have gone against him but in my opinion is yes he could - maybe not in the style that Shearer was but certainly enough to have made his mark (strange that nobody 'bigger in those days did come for him though'and maybe the blue and white specs masked the reason)

A knack for being in the right place at the right time and a decent finish on him with an uncanny knack of scoring from 'back to goal' situations.

Would certainly have been fit to lace, dub'n polish any of our current strikers boots -wear them and then throw them away..

I may be a sentimental old fool; but the one thing which bugged me about Dalglish was was that, once we'd made it into the Premier League, he didn't give Simon even a substitute's appearance in that League. Simon may have been coming to the end of his career; but I thought [and still do] that he'd given us so much over the years in Division 2 that we sort-of "owed" it to him to have played him for at least part of one match in the Premier League.

I never met him, but he came across as a proper character; someone the fans could identify with.

Totally agree. My biggest disappointment of the Dalglish era.

We'd be offering him a new contract right now if he was at the club. No question about. Fantastic goal-scorer and possibly the best crosser of the ball at the club in his time.

Fully agree Dalglish should have given him 20 minutes or so from the bench.

Do you think anyone will ever beat Simon Garner's goalscoring record for Rovers?

Roberts is going to have to kick-on if he's going to suppass it....

Maybe if we start playing Jordan Slew, he is very young still!

Do you think anyone will ever beat Simon Garner's goalscoring record for Rovers?

Roberts is going to have to kick-on if he's going to suppass it....

Maybe if we start playing Jordan Slew, he is very young still!

No , anybody who comes remotely close will be snapped up by another club Garner was a short chunky striker that came alive in the box, a fantstic 1 touch finisher , but thats not to say he didnt work the channels or hold the ball up , he was extremely difficult to win the ball from he could shield the ball just the same way Shearer did ,it is my opinion Garner would have scored even more goals for Rovers had been playing with better Quality players i've met him a couple of times and when he talks about rovers its with REAL affection

• Backroom

Bit too young to remember him fully although I'm sure he scored at one of my first Rovers games Vs Plymouth at home then did a little jump celebration.

Archived