BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] UFC / mixed martial arts

Since there used to be an MMA topic on here a few years ago, and football has suddenly become my least favourite sport, I thought I'd start a new thread.

For anyone curious about this sort of thing, I totally recommend watching the last two UFC events. Henderson versus Shogun in UFC 139 was an absolute classic, with a great back story (much-loved former champs from the a sadly defunct Japanese organisation), an epic comeback and a hotly disputed decision.

UFC 140 has a great performance from Jon Jones, a 24-year-old who may well turn out to be the best fighter of all time, plus a heavyweight match with an eye-wateringly brutal submission victory that epitomises the motto 'tap or snap'.

Videos of all these fights are always 'available', if you know what I mean. See if you can avoid wincing at the Mir vs Nogueira match...

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've always been a huge Frank Mir fan, but I never ever thought he would tap Nog. I suppose he didnt officially, but it was an incredible performance.

Bones was great, it was nice to see someone test him and him pass with flying colours. Its hard to know who can beat him, but I'm very much looking forward to seeing what Hendo does against him. If he wins that and Anderson wins against Sonnen/Munoz thereis going to be huge clamour for a superfight.

Devastated at Tito's loss. I love Tito.

Nog did tap, but it was after Mir had given him an extra elbow joint. He was wincing in pain before the kimura got properly torqued, but I suppose he's just too proud to give up, even though Mir is a known destroyer of limbs. Did you see the x-ray pic they released? Yikes!

It'll take a human tank to walk through Jones's reach and avoid his wrestling. He's unlikeably good.

I miss the PRIDE days and a prime IQ Wrestler. The sport has really progressed and the athletes these days are superior to those at the top only a few years ago. Still a very young sport, but been following it for close to 10 years now. Officiating needs tweaking, and perhaps the 10 point must system needs to be looked at, but then again people don't like decisions ;)

Mir is a legend. Unfortunately it's difficult to submit anyone from the bottom these days, let alone in the HW division, so I don't think he'll ever hold the belt again. Brock vs. Overeem is the match I most look forward to. It should be good, I can see both fighters coming out guns blazing and if Brock gets the early takedown he can finish it. If not, he'll get KO'ed early by Alistair.

Glad this has made its way back into the forum, as OP stated the first thread got lost. MMA has been great lately, though not having HDNet anymore is really putting a damper on seeing the smaller promotions. Very excited bellator is coming to spike and though that this season of TUF was the best yet. Can't wait for TUF brazil too!

I fear for Wand in that one. His chin and reflexes have declined so much - if Leben can knock him senseless, imagine what Belfort will do.

Me too, it's potentially very very dangerous for Wanderlei.

Won't be watching a show in Portugese I'm afraid, not sure if that's the plan.

I fear for Wand in that one. His chin and reflexes have declined so much - if Leben can knock him senseless, imagine what Belfort will do.

Also agreed. Vitor still has plenty at the top level. Wand needs to fight very smart.

I was surprised Wand managed to mutilate Cung Le like he did, but then I didn't realise Cung Le was only good for two minutes of fighting before running out of steam.

Actually, there's a lot of fighters in the UFC with terrible stamina. Something to do with cutting weight maybe? But then that doesn't explain why Shane Carwin turns into a zombie after the first round.

Brock vs Overeem could be another example. Brock seems reasonably fit, while Overeem has the engine of a Ferrari and the gas tank of a Vespa.

Mentioning stamina and weight loss , I once lost a stone and half (I think) in just over a week to make my weight catogory. I was winning the fight (against an Olympian ) and I took a double leg and throw down. My dad told me my foot slipped on sweat and his knee caught my temple and one minute I was in Glasgow and the next I knew I was in blackburn hospital four days later . I was out for that time and the drs reckon I was do dehydrated it was a contributing factor .

• 3 weeks later...

Diaz - Cerrone in UFC 141 - quality stand-up fight - 2 guys who had no intention of taking it to the floor. I know wrestling and BJJ are integral parts of MMA but you can't beat 3 rounds of toe-to-toe action. Looking forward to seeing more of Overeem too.

Diaz is an animal, did not think he was going to be able to handle Cowboy like he did. and Oh man, watching Reems K1 Fights are worth it if you have access to them. I had a channel at my old place called HD Net that just showed K1, Japanese MMA, Bamma, and small American MMA promotions and it was awesome. I thought that fight card was really good, quality fights on all the cards. Did not see that Fitch result comming.

Nate Diaz's boxing has been improving for some time, he was brilliant against Cowboy. I like Diaz as TUF 5 was the first series I watched when I properly got in to watching it full time, his conduct is suspect at times but I would like to see him get a shot at Edgar.

Main event very disappointing, it's evident that Brock really doesn't like getting hit. He would have been in huge trouble against JDS. Reem vs JDS could be explosive.

Fedor won at Dream on NYE, would like to see him rematch with Werdum next, would be good if he could avenge that one.

Main event very disappointing, it's evident that Brock really doesn't like getting hit. He would have been in huge trouble against JDS. Reem vs JDS could be explosive.

That was my initial reaction but thinking back to all Brock has had to deal with, his story is incredible. Taking Ubereem on your first fight back after a sickness he could have retired from is insane. Very foolish of him though to not try and wrestle him right away though, I hope he didn't think he could eat those kicks/knees and win.

Good points - his illness would have been enough to finish careers of many. He's had 8 fights in MMA, 4 of which were against UFC champions. He took the hardest route of anyone I've ever known.

That said, I think he's always been suspect to a shot, as I recall Randy hurt him in the first round of their fight. Not shooting for the takedown properly on Reem was stupid. If he had he could have won, and he may have beaten JDS the same way too.

Some of those knees were brutal, no fighter could have taken that sort of punishment let alone with Lesnar's problems. The fight with JDS should be quality.

Also heard that Terry Etim is fighting Edson Barboza in UFC 142 in Brazil, that should be a cracker. That guillotine choke in his last fight was something special.

Robbie Lawler fighting in Strikeforce this weekend. One of my favourite fighters - guaranteed violence, unless he gets lumbered with a dominant wrestler, which he isn't this time.

He punched Matt Lindland rigid a couple of years ago but has been on a bit of a losing streak lately, so I'm hoping for a return to form.

Archived