BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] commente section in LT

47er

Suspended again! What caused this latest one? Anybody know? Some democratic country this is.

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/blackburn_rovers/news/9498584.Blackburn_Rovers_comments/

It may be that they have no one to monitor comments over the weekend. The one that caused a storm(g'gow connection was posted on a Saturday afternoon i think.

Well considering that (on average) for every sensible well argued post, there were around a dozen stupid or obscene morons making the whole discussion pointless, then I think it is high time the LT accepted it's responsibilities and acted to stop it.

Well considering that (on average) for every sensible well argued post, there were around a dozen stupid or obscene morons making the whole discussion pointless, then I think it is high time the LT accepted it's responsibilities and acted to stop it.

Good point Fife..... however what is it they say about people who live in glass houses? ;)

It may be that they have no one to monitor comments over the weekend. The one that caused a storm(g'gow connection was posted on a Saturday afternoon i think.

Isn't that what their legal disclaimer is for, i.e. "you are responsible for the comments you write and we disclaim any responsibility for posts that break our rules..." etc... Isn't the worst that could happen is that they have to give up people's personal information in the event of a law suit?

I'm not versed in that sort of stuff, but I'm sure pur moderators are! :)

It is a very bad situation when newspaper is forced to censor its readership due to threats of legal action. It really does seem to smack of infringements upon inherent freedoms of speech, though on British law I am not on the most solid of platforms (I haven't a clue :))

Talking about the L.T. Am I wrong in saying that headline regards Nathan Blake is really misleading "I had death threat while at Blackburn Rovers" Especially as the column is being headlined on sites such as News Now .We are getting enough flak as it is and the story actually refers to him being targeted by someone not amused at him for withdrawing from the Welsh squad and not from anyone at Rovers.

I could now write chapter and verse of the risks and legalities of moderating forums.Without boring you all to death, I believe the LT, like us, DON'T moderate content (you'll notice none of our staff have actually edited posts in a very very long time), and simply remove posts reported as unsuitable. This affords some legal defence as with no editorial control it can be argued the site isn't publishing comments, it's merely a conduit (known as the common carrier defence). Thankfully as you guys use the report button very responsibly, it's a system that works ok for us.

We're even go so far as to rename the moderators to "staff" as they don't moderate content. However we DO manage our USER BASE closely and act against USERS (not content) we find detrimental to community . We're also looking at automated systems that detect objectionable posts and issue take-down notices.

The law is an ass that we're actually safer operating this way around, but that's how it is.

Archived