BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Real Ale

• Replies 972
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He makes em up mate....old pafell

Grow up. Stop being a pathetic wum. You obviously have a passion for provocation. You have shown for awhile now that you come on to this site to wind people up and have digs for no reason at all..

Each brewery / beer can be easily searched out - i suggest you try searching before making allegations. I have no need to make any up. If I knew how to do links on here, i would put them up.

Crikey Pafell, I don't think there is one beer on your list that I've had before - pity your club is so far away!!

Congrats on the awards too - hope the festival goes well

Nor me. About 5 of them I have had before - the rest, we have either dealt with the brewery before. Or one of us within the club would have tried them. We value each others judgement.

A lot of our beers this festival have come from Boggarts distribution, based in Manchester. So many of them you should be able to get in your area. Privateer, a Manchester brewery (not on my list, as too regular on our bar) is worth searching out. not had a bad beer from them, Red Duke, Dark Revenge being the best imo.

Magic Rock beers can be hard to get hold of in my area. But we developed relations with various other places who can get them and we get beers they can't and do swaps etc.

Keep an eye out for a new brewery being launched on the 4th october 13 called Burning Sky. The brewer, Mark Tranter, helped start Dark Star brewery off quite a few years ago. He left as he wanted a new challenge.

Dark Star are a sussex brewery - very popular down here. I am aware their beers are now getting into Yorkshire, possible via SIBA. But Arkwrights from Preston should be able to get hold of them, as they deliver to us also.

My point exactly....congratulations on your latest awards.....not imaginary awards are they like the last time?

Easily provable - you'll find me behind the bar during the festival on 13th to 15th September. Also every Thursday, as I do the whole day then. Not imaginary awards this time or last time.

The club I work for are having another beer festival this month. Just finished putting the beer list together.

Smaller 2.8% by Hand drawn monkey

Seamless 3.6% by Redwillow

Outlandish Pale 3.9% by Offbeat

Pacifica 4.0% by Tyne bank

Chocolate orange stout 4.0% by Amber

Elderflower 4.0% by Saltaire

Reiver IPA 4.4% by Hadrian & Border

Prehistoric Amber 4.5% by Caveman

Dark Mild 4.5% by Bridestones

Rum Porter 4.6% by Boggarts

Rooster & birrifico Italiano 4.7% (two Brewerys got together to make this one)

Full Nelson 4.7% by Tiny Rebel

Cockleroy (black IPA) 4.8% by Alchemy

Hot Dog (chilli stout) 5.0% by Binghams ( i tried that at the GBBF this year. Very nice)

Citra delic 5.2% by Melwood

Aphrodite 5.2% by welbeck

Clovis point brown 5.2% by Caveman

Abduction 5.5% by Dancing duck

Urban IPA 5.5%

High wire 5.5% by Magic rock

First brew no'2 red rye 6.0% by Five Points

Indian Summer 6.0% by Dark Star

Maximus 6.2% by Botanist

1872 Porter 6.5% by Elland ( This was champion beer of Britian 2013)

Bottled beers

Hadouken 7.4% by Tiny Rebel

Urban IPA 5.5% by Tiny Rebel

Fubar 4.4% by Tiny Rebel.

The club is an RAF association club. The reason for this festival is to raise money for the RAFA Charity (wings). It is also a time some folks remember the battle of Britain. Ironically when we were planning the festival. Tiny Rebel brewery paid us a visit. Discovered what we were doing and donated 4 firkins (288 pints) of beer and 300 bottles of beer. Reason I mention that is there are many negative stories about various brewing companies, nice to have a positive one for a change. There beers are dam good as well.

As a club we have just picked up 3 camra awards

South East Sussex club of the year

Sussex Club of the year

Regional Club of the year (Sussex & Surrey)

Wot no Spitfire and Lancaster Bomber?

Easily provable - you'll find me behind the bar during the festival on 13th to 15th September. Also every Thursday, as I do the whole day then. Not imaginary awards this time or last time.

Its a shame that CAMRA don't like you enough to include your festival on their festival guide...considering all the awards you just won from them, you'd have thought that your club's event would at least be mentioned..... ;)

Its a shame that CAMRA don't like you enough to include your festival on their festival guide...considering all the awards you just won from them, you'd have thought that your club's event would at least be mentioned..... ;)

That is down to us not contacting them, as we haven't promoted it nationally. At the end of the day, we are a little club. We don't have a huge venue or field, land that can host a huge festival. We host it within the club. Maximum 24 beers in our view.

But you will find it in the CAMRA's sussex drinker. Also the club is in CAMRA'S GOOD BEER GUIDE 2013, page 448.

Must admit, advertisement is a weak area in our club. But as somebody said to us recently, word of mouth is often better.

Pafell, you're obviously doing something right.

All I would suggest is, keep doing it.

If you do it at a good price, offer a good product, then you'll always have enough customers to keep you in business.

As beer drinker, I'd love to taste some of what you have on offer, unfortunately the tyranny of distance stops me cold.

Have one for me.

Wot no Spitfire and Lancaster Bomber?

Lol, we have Spitfire in bottles if folk want them. Although I loathe Shepherd Neame beers, the fact is there are load of their pubs around us. So why get a beer that can be got locally anyway. . But we normally use micro brewerys. Wainwrights from thwaites is very nice in a both bottle and cask imo. Lancaster Bomber also not bad. You might want to try their 13 Guns. I had it this year at the GBBF.

• Backroom

Lol, we have Spitfire in bottles if folk want them. Although I loathe Shepherd Neame beers, the fact is there are load of their pubs around us. So why get a beer that can be got locally anyway. . But we normally use micro brewerys. Wainwrights from thwaites is very nice in a both bottle and cask imo. Lancaster Bomber also not bad. You might want to try their 13 Guns. I had it this year at the GBBF.

Get in the Golden Cup at Ewood, man! ;)

• Backroom

Pafell's a southerner...

I gathered that many months ago. However, I assume that he makes the occasional game at Ewood every now and then. Which would be a good opportunity for him to sample an ale he clearly likes.

I gathered that many months ago. However, I assume that he makes the occasional game at Ewood every now and then. Which would be a good opportunity for him to sample an ale he clearly likes.

And he could 'purk is cur on't cur purk' at t'Gowden Cup.

Pafell's so respected in the brewing game, they'd ship him some down there....come up for a rovers game? Don't be silly, that would never happen.

The Golden Cup is not in Ewood its in Darwen.

Walking distance from M65 travelodge, where I normally stay when coming to a match Been Goldern cup quite a few times. Oh and just for sparky Marky, it is about 100 yards on the left hand side (coming from darwen direction) from the flyover bridge.

Pafell's a southerner...

Actually I am a northerner, living in the south. Born in Blackburn, Primary school in Feniscoles. Lived in Blackburn, Great Harwood and Accrington.

Pafell's so respected in the brewing game, they'd ship him some down there....come up for a rovers game? Don't be silly, that would never happen.

I have never made such a claim. Infact i am very much a beginner. I just love the subject / work and have got heavily involved in it. I am more used to drinking at the bar, not working behind one, until the past year or so. I learn about beers by going to some beer festivals. Also where I work we have 4 ale pumps, where the beer often changes on a daily basis. As we don't have set club beers and try different ones from around the country - I get the oppourtunity to try 20 to 28 different beers a week - therefore my knowledge of different beers grows. I am just lucky to doing a job where I am passionate about the subject.

Get in the Golden Cup at Ewood, man! ;)

Drank in there a few times. Though I have also been Number 39 in Darwen (Hopstar Brewery), Black Bull (3'Bs brewery) at Tockholes and Victoria in Great Harwood, (only been there once) who often had some interesting beers on that were also kept well. I try to avoid pub chains.

• Backroom

Hopstar do some great ales! Unfortunately wasn't keen on any by 3B's. Not one ale made me go 'hmmmm' indicative of something better than plain.

Had a bottle of Jaipur this week from booths. Gotta try that out of the tap! Delicious!

Quite enjoyed one called Mad Goose too, but the brewery name escapes me :/

Walking distance from M25 travelodge, where I normally stay when coming to a match Been Goldern cup quite a few times. Oh and just for sparky Marky, it is about 100 yards on the left hand side (coming from darwen direction) from the flyover bridge.

Actually I am a northerner, living in the south. Born in Blackburn, Primary school in Feniscoles. Lived in Blackburn, Great Harwood and Accrington.

Bloody Hell, Pafell - you must be fit as a butcher's dog if you walk from M25 every time you come for a game ^_^

Hopstar do some great ales! Unfortunately wasn't keen on any by 3B's. Not one ale made me go 'hmmmm' indicative of something better than plain.

Had a bottle of Jaipur this week from booths. Gotta try that out of the tap! Delicious!

Jaipur from Thornbridge, excellent beer, especially from the tap. If you like that beer, keep an eye out for beers by Magic Rock, Dark Star and Salopian brewerys. All fantastic brewerys.

Surprised with regards 3B's - but it happens. Horses for courses etc.

Not sure, but I think Mad Goose is from Purity.

Is number 39 still doing the Old Smoky Joe Black beer. I believe they put some Rum in it at christmas. Hope so, I am coming to ewood around then - so will be popping in once or twice.

We had their Lancashire Gold in our club last december. my boss got it in the club for me for my birthday, very nice. Just didn't last till the following day - folk in the club finished it in the day. Of course I was with them.

Pafell, you're obviously doing something right.

All I would suggest is, keep doing it.

If you do it at a good price, offer a good product, then you'll always have enough customers to keep you in business.

As beer drinker, I'd love to taste some of what you have on offer, unfortunately the tyranny of distance stops me cold.

Have one for me.

£2.60 a pint. which for the south is cheap. Average beer prices in my area is £3.80 - though more for stronger beers. Ours is the same, no matter the strength. Clubs are far different to run than pubs - which is in our favour. Clubs have membership fees, normally own the building, no need to have large profit margins compared to pubs, as out goings are not as much.

Membership fees are what is in our, as well as other clubs, favour.

Have to say that Doff Cocker is damn good ale!

Archived