BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Real Ale

• Replies 972
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Septic tanks and beer don't go together

You'd be surprised. There is some very good ale over here. Micro breweries have taken off in a big way and you can get all sorts. For a national brand try Sam Adams - they have some very good ales. My sister's boyfriend was over a few months ago, a fully paid up member of CAMRA, and he was very impressed with some of the stuff he had.

Ommegang Brewery in New York brews some tremendous stuff; http://www.ommegang.com/

I live in a small town and we have 2 breweries producing some good stuff, as well as a good few "real ale" bars/restaurants constantly rotating kegs from all over.

Go to any sizable city over here and you can have your pick of local brews.

The beer I'd try first is from the USA's longest continuing run brewery, established in 1829 in Pennsylvania, Yuengling. The novelty wore off after a few days but I still think it would be passable when I tried it in Washington DC. The drug store sold it, it was the first time I had ever seen it and staying in a hotel, I went about every day to buy some. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yuengling Yuengling isn't available nationwide, I don't know if one can call it a real "National Brand". :tu:

Yuengling is a good place to start, as mentioned in a previous post "Anchor", I think they mean "Anchor Steam" out of San Francisco, that's fairly good, Steam Brewed Beer and has been around for a very long time. Sam Adams is okay.

Some of what I see mentioned above in other posts about American beer starts to be what one calls "microbrews", brewed inhouse.

--------

I'd give a shout to Mexican beers too, Tres Equis (XXX) and some of the others are reasonable, in fact, I think about every Mexican beer has some merit within reason. Some people here may have tried Corona, popular export beer and possibly don't care for them. Wouldn't be my first choice, it's recommended to try with lemon. Tecate is another Mexican brew that is recommended to be savoured ONLY with salt on the rim and lemon juice, so what can one say?

-------

We may have some people from Canada, I've had a cheap mainstream Molson's that might be comparable to Bud but they also have a more premium product. Most people probably wouldn't care for LaBatts but it's been okay for me.

------

Honestly, most of my drinking days are behind me but here is an interesting website that reviews beers: http://beeradvocate.com/ , I think one can register there for free and even write reviews.

Had Anchor Steam Beer in San Francisco. Very nice beer if you can persuade them to take a couple of bottles out of the fridge half an hour before you get to the bar.

Edit; for some reason I can't quote. I was talking about the Ginger Man in NYC as recommended by Willie E.

The site's gone weird since that last unecessary upgrade. To quote now I have to flick that light switch in the top left corner then go back and try again. Bloody painful, slow and no doubt summet to do with phone or tablet users although thats just the wild guess of a quickly developing technophobe.

One brewery that doesn't get many mentions is George Wright.

They produce some excellent stuff. You will often find it on sale in The Postal Order. I had a couple of pints of Drunken Duck on Friday. Very good.

George Wright ales are often to be found in the Victoria, Great Harwood.

Two forthcoming beer festivals:

Feb 20-22 Victoria, Great Harwood

Feb 27- Mar 1 Forts Arms, Clayton-le-Moors

George Wright ales are often to be found in the Victoria, Great Harwood.Two forthcoming beer festivals:Feb 20-22 Victoria, Great HarwoodFeb 27- Mar 1 Forts Arms, Clayton-le-Moors

Now that's tempting. Really good pub The Victoria as well. Not been for a while.

Great pint of Thwaites (one of the best) at the Nabs Head at Samlesbury. Also some Rovers stuff in the tap room.

If you want a good pint of Thwaites you can't beat Baxenden Village Club (was Con Club). They always have a guest ale too, usually a Moorcroft beer.

Archived