BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Real Ale

• Replies 972
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He may well be a real expert, or not, (subjective judgement) and I'm not knocking his chosen subject but as J*B alludes, his posts come across as 'know it all, done it all' yet he posts unresearched, naive stuff like why the Aqueduct Inn would be a good investment.

Naive? I'm not sure of the situation tghere but as a free house it could well be. The ability to buy cheap beer on the open market and surrounded by lots and lots of roofs housing White English, and with most of the competition closed down. Wetherspoons are hardly naive are they yet they have done OK within those parameters haven't they? Buy it cheap enough, run it and profit from it and when the demography inevitably changes that building will still be of significant re-sale value.

Naive? I'm not sure of the situation tghere but as a free house it could well be. The ability to buy cheap beer on the open market and surrounded by lots and lots of roofs housing White English, and with most of the competition closed down. Wetherspoons are hardly naive are they yet they have done OK within those parameters haven't they? Buy it cheap enough, run it and profit from it and when the demography inevitably changes that building will still be of significant re-sale value.

They've built residential property on the old Kwik save site, there is the Infirmary area (Manxman shut wasn't it?), Livesey, Mill Hill and Ewood on the doorstep. I'd imagine a good Free House managed well could feed off (and maybe shut) the few remaining pubs for a square half mile. The other new kid on the block that is doing well I believe is the Black Bull so why catch a taxi?

The Black Bull is an excellent watering hole (freehouse) and shows it can be done in the 21st century.

Not been since it's been changed but I went around the 3B's Brewery on Stockclough Lane and disliked every beer that they had on offer.

• 2 weeks later...

Can't say I like Wetherspoons - to me they are usually lacking in character, with a 'cafeteria' feel and a ropey selection of beers.

The beer in JDW is ropey to say the least. Hate the places personally.

On real ale, enjoying a couple of bottles of Sam Adams Summer Ale tonight from Boston. Cracking stuff brought back from holiday last week.

The beer in JDW is ropey to say the least. Hate the places personally.

On real ale, enjoying a couple of bottles of Sam Adams Summer Ale tonight from Boston. Cracking stuff brought back from holiday last week.

On my jollies in California at the moment. Have had a few pints of that Summer Ale - very nice.

Trying all sorts of craft beers I've never heard of and plenty of them are very good. The average ABV of the beers seems much higher over here in the USA but it doesn't seem to have the same effect on me as ale back home. Don't know if they calculate the ABV differently but I seem to be able to sup much stronger ale without falling over.

Perhaps it's just because I'm on holiday...

Archived