BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Real Ale

That is not correct about flat beer. The only difference is we don't use the sparkler / sprinkler, whatever name you want to call it. This gives it a head as well as making the beer smooth. I like a smooth beer if it was made to be a smooth beer by the brewer. Yet you can still get a very decent head without. The difference is how it is poured.

Simple way of describing the difference is, the south pours the beer in the glass from the top, by tilting the glass. Whereas the north puts the neck into the glass, sprinkler on, with the glass upright. (Not easy putting into written word things you do everyday). Though every bar staff have there own way of doing it.

beer in tins, not for me. Bottles fine.

Read somewhere on here awhile ago about a beer called jaipour from Thornbridge brewery. A very good beer.

I bought some bottles from them recently of that beer. Fast service. I bought online 24 bottles on Friday afternoon and it was delivered tues lunchtime.

Sorry PAFELL but beer poured without a sprinkler is flat no matter how often you deny it.

• Replies 972
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry PAFELL but beer poured without a sprinkler is flat no matter how often you deny it.

Not true Al.

A sprinkler can make a beer more lively.

A good beer will not necessarily be flat without a sprinkler.

A bad beer will always be flat, sprinkler or not.

Not true Al.

A sprinkler can make a beer more lively.

A good beer will not necessarily be flat without a sprinkler.

A bad beer will always be flat, sprinkler or not.

Agree to differ. Any proper northern real ale drinker will agree with me, or at least every one I have ever spoken to. If Southerners see a head they think they haven't got a full pint.

Not correct.

There are though a lot of publicans, especially in the north, who don't know how to pour a beer without a spinkler.

Only because that is a northern way of pouring beer. If I remember correctly The Swan with two necks, near Clithero, which has had many camra awards pours beer without the sprinkler.

Not sure but I think Grants in Accrington do also. Neither place have flat beer. Infact in both places the the beer is in top condition. Not been in these places for about a year now. So happy to be corrected.

I am able to pour beer both ways, because i was taught a long while ago to do so.

A sprinker 'manipulates beer'. Even a beer poured straight from the cask can have a head on.

I must be doing something right.

Been in Camra's good beer guide for past 3 or so years. 700 plus club members - though to be honest, not all active members.

About to host our 8th beer festival in September.

Just been informed that my club has just won

Camra's East Sussex club of the year,

Camra's Sussex club of the year,

Camra's Regional club of the year (again)

The latter award (Regional) means we get put forward to a competition, with 15 other clubs, to see who is the best club of the year, which is held in Manchester.

We never attend it to be honest. knowing we are in the top 16 is sufficient for us. Anyway to us, it isn't about awards, its about the beer.

I don't believe any of this would happen if the beer we poured was flat. What I did find out this year, was the folk who marked / judged our club, came from the North of England. They had been invited down by Camra branches in the South.

I do this for a living. I drink at the place I work as well as other places, I work at the place I drink. I loathe flat beer.

I knew you would pull rank in the end. OK you are a professional and Camra agree with you. I made the offer to agree to disagree but now I am telling you that beer poured or pumped without a sprinkler is never as good as a beer pulled properly.

I knew you would pull rank in the end. OK you are a professional and Camra agree with you. I made the offer to agree to disagree but now I am telling you that beer poured or pumped without a sprinkler is never as good as a beer pulled properly.

Wow was never a case of pulling rank as you put it. Was just trying to explain that beer poured without the sprinkler isn't flat. When I go into any bar, I will drink the beer no matter how it is poured, with or without a sprinkler. Only thing of interest to me is 'is the beer in good condition'.

Its a horses for courses situation. Neither opinion is right - just different methods.

I must be doing something right.

Been in Camra's good beer guide for past 3 or so years. 700 plus club members - though to be honest, not all active members.

About to host our 8th beer festival in September.

Just been informed that my club has just won

Camra's East Sussex club of the year,

Camra's Sussex club of the year,

Camra's Regional club of the year (again)

You need to remember what you posted a couple of years ago. Same post, same awards....strange

Agree to differ. Any proper northern real ale drinker will agree with me, or at least every one I have ever spoken to. If Southerners see a head they think they haven't got a full pint.

Agree with the southerners bit Al.

You should get out of Bash Con a bit more often though.

• Moderation Lead

Agree with the southerners bit Al.

You should get out of Bash Con a bit more often though.

That's the village club now! :tu:

I can see the sign from my front door!

It's a southerner thing - ignore it. They can't process a northerner with greater knowledge than themselves.

Deleted .. Bet Doug n Paefell are not so happy drunks .

Yes I know it's in paefells quote but there you go pathetic overreaction .

Apologies for diverting this thread I thought folks who liked a pint liked a laugh .

It was NOT abuse grow up ffs .

You need to remember what you posted a couple of years ago. Same post, same awards....strange

Correct - we have won same awards. They are awarded yearly. Just as camra's good beer guide book comes out yearly.

NORTHERN DRINKER = real ale & men

SOUTHERN DRINKERS = shandy drinking poofs with cocktails

I new it would not take long before you got abusive. it is folk like you who ruin this board.

I am actually a northerner. I just live and work down south - money is better.

Blimy I will delete it ... Christ almighty it's an old saying that's a bit of fun . Doug another that lives to hate me

Ha edited it Doug . Ha pathetic .

Again apologies to any I upset except for paefell and Doug . Miserable so & so's

"NORTHERN DRINKER = real ale & men

SOUTHERN DRINKERS = shandy drinking poofs with cocktails"

is it not kinda the opposite now? I thought it was the bandwagon jumping hipsters daan saaf that where into their real ales(whilst its fashionable) young northern lads don't seem to drink much any more, they're to busy fannying about in the gym, getting their arms entirely tattooed with undecipherable scribble and looking at themselves in the mirror. :P

• Moderation Lead

In Belgium at the minute (on free wi-fi in apartment) and the standard of beer is very high, and everywhere seems to sell it as well!

Going to a bar tonight with 3,000 different beers!

Any bitter drinkers out there (I don't mean your mood by the way) tried Doombar by Sharp's brewery in Cornwall. It's damned good.

Every year. Usually in The Ship in Padstow. It's travelled 2 miles but they still charge £3.60 for it lol

A few years ago I had "Sharps Own" at the Castle Inn @ Lulworth and it was great. Never seen it since. EDIT: Now called Sharps Original

news-105-sharp-s-own-wins-champion-beer-

My new fave is Skye Red and Skye Gold (made with porridge oats) from Uig........delightful

http://skyeale.com/

I think Sharps sold out to one of the major brewers a bit back. Doombar can be found all over the north west.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cornwall-12346365

In Belgium at the minute (on free wi-fi in apartment) and the standard of beer is very high, and everywhere seems to sell it as well!

Going to a bar tonight with 3,000 different beers!

Where abouts in Belgium?

I go to bruge at least 4 times a year. Love the city and the beer. Going again in Decemeber. Then Feb for the bruge beer festival.

I was in Brussels, took a bit of a leap of faith with going there, and glad I did!

Nice. I have only passed through Brussels.

Ostend is good also. Probable do a day trip there again when I go to Belgium in December.

What beers did you have?

• Moderation Lead

Nice. I have only passed through Brussels.

Ostend is good also. Probable do a day trip there again when I go to Belgium in December.

What beers did you have?

As Donnermeat alludes to- a lot of Kwak and a lot of Duvel as well!

Archived