BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Real Ale

As Donnermeat alludes to- a lot of Kwak and a lot of Duvel as well!

Good site to visit if you want belgian beers delivered to your home is www.houseofbelgium.com

Possible the cheapest site for UK folks to get Belgian beer delivered to your home.

I use them a lot. If you spend over £100 delivery is free.

I like kasteel Beers, especially the Donker 11%. All the Bush beers.

Pannepot grand reserva 10% - hard to get sometimes, but stunning.

Yeah you got to have a few kwaks in Belgium - better on draught, than bottle.

Duvel do a special addition every year. A beer with 3 hops in. They just change one of the hops each year.

• Replies 972
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good site to visit if you want belgian beers delivered to your home is www.houseofbelgium.com

Possible the cheapest site for UK folks to get Belgian beer delivered to your home.

I use them a lot. If you spend over £100 delivery is free.

I like kasteel Beers, especially the Donker 11%. All the Bush beers.

Pannepot grand reserva 10% - hard to get sometimes, but stunning.

Yeah you got to have a few kwaks in Belgium - better on draught, than bottle.

Duvel do a special addition every year. A beer with 3 hops in. They just change one of the hops each year.

Have you been to that 'Duvelorium' in Bruges PAFELL?

Have you been to that 'Duvelorium' in Bruges PAFELL?

Nope. Not heard of it. Unless your on about the beer museum. I drink Durvel occasionally.

I am normally found in Cambrinus - good food, good beer - The Pub - 2be - Garre - Gulden draak on draught, Poatersgat, Trappiste - these two - the later imo the best of the two, are underground floor level, Nieuw Museum - good beer and steaks, plus one or two places around the Halve maan brewery. the hotel i stay at the bar is open 24 hr - so can always get a night cap or two ish.

2be is a cracking place, as is Cambrinus! The latter was packed to the gills when I went. The Duvelorium is above the 'Historium' museum in the Markt. It has an open terrace to sit and just watch the markt happenings and a wall with the duvel logo embossed in copper, quite impressive.

Halve maan brewery-Bruges Zot! Class.

2be is a cracking place, as is Cambrinus! The latter was packed to the gills when I went. The Duvelorium is above the 'Historium' museum in the Markt. It has an open terrace to sit and just watch the markt happenings and a wall with the duvel logo embossed in copper, quite impressive.

Halve maan brewery-Bruges Zot! Class.

Yes I know where you mean now.

Cambirinus is always packed. Best to book.

I always have a set of tasters and a few Gulden draak, with a nice Flemish stew. Food in that place is really good imo.

My missus see's the beer wall in 2be and says it looks like my beer shelves at home.

Halve maan brewery tour is good. I can just about get through the narrow areas !!!! The Zot is good, though I prefer the Straffe Hendrik 9%.

Bruge beer festival I believe is Feb 6 & 7 2016 - I plan to go, subject to work.

Going over in December - wife wants to go Christmas market - . We will take in Ostend and Bottleje (Hotel marion) which has a minimum of 300 bottled beers.

I'm writing this from my hotel in bruges. Straffe Hendrik is very good, only tried the standard 9pc one though, not the dark 11pc.

Favorite beer of the holiday was found last night in Trappiste - Troubadour Magma,a 9pc IPA.

Trappiste is a brilliant place. You may want to try Postersgat - simular type place, ie you go down into a cellar type place. They do pannepot - though sadly not the reserva, which can be hard to get.

Did you do the brewer tour?

What hotel are you staying at?

Trappiste is a brilliant place. You may want to try Postersgat - simular type place, ie you go down into a cellar type place. They do pannepot - though sadly not the reserva, which can be hard to get.

Did you do the brewer tour?

What hotel are you staying at?

Home now, wrote the other post on our last morning.

Yes we did the brewery tour and also went to the beer museum. And 2be and @ the pub and duvelorium... considering it was supposed to be a romantic short break we do seem to have got through a lot of beer.

We stayed at hotel navarra, which was pretty close to everything and the room had lovely exposed timbers. I could definitely see us going again and staying in the same place.

Home now, wrote the other post on our last morning.

Yes we did the brewery tour and also went to the beer museum. And 2be and @ the pub and duvelorium... considering it was supposed to be a romantic short break we do seem to have got through a lot of beer.

We stayed at hotel navarra, which was pretty close to everything and the room had lovely exposed timbers. I could definitely see us going again and staying in the same place.

Nice one. I always stay in the IBIS on Kasteljestraat. Sometimes I do a day trip to Ostend whilst over there. My wife wants to do the Christmas market there this year. Hence why were going again in december.

I have got my beer festival on this weekend. We are only a small RAF ASSOCIATION club. We will be raising money, as well as selling beer for WINGS. In the light of the 75th anniversary of the Battle of Britain. We are fortunate to have 12 members who were members of the RAF at the time. I love hearing their stories. Though we also have 22 members of the marines and 9 para's of that time as well.

Please put aside any differences you may have with me - if any. If you see members of the ATC on the streets this coming weekend with there 'pots' please donate.

But as this is a real ale area, I will post my beer list (Though I am aware there are folk, who are rovers supporters, who come to the club I work for our beer festivals, so this list is for them also)

Anyway beer list

BREWERY - BEER NAME

!/ OATS - LIQUAID EQUINOX 3.8%

2/ MOBBERLEY - MANDALAY MANGO 4%

3/ DALESIDE - PRIDE OF ENGLAND 4%

4/ STANCIL BREWERY - INDIAN RUBY 4%

5/ HOPSTAR - DARK KNIGHT

6/ ELLAND - CATCH THE RAINBOW 4.1%

7/ LOCH NESS - RED NESS 4.1%

8/ SONNETT 43 - BOURBON MILK STOUT 4.3%

9/ LITTLE VALLEY - HEBDENS WHEAT BEER 4.5%

10/ BLACKJACK - FARMHOUSE RIVER 4.8%

11/ ROOSTERS - DER KAISER 4.8%

12 GRAFTON - COCO LOCE 55

13/ DARK STAR - CARAFA JADE 5%

14/ DOWNLANDS - SALTED CARAMEL 5%

15 4'TS - AMERICAN 10 HOP 5.1%

16/ ROOSTERS - LONDINIUM 5.5%

17/ FROG ISLAND - CROAK AND STAGGER 5.6%

18/ PEERLESS - PENINSULAR IPA 5.7%

19/ SALOPIAN - POLOGRAPH 7.4%

20/ BURTON BRIDGE THOMAS SYKES 10%

Plus ciders and belgian beers.

Got to admit, I have drunk all these beers and, imo, there is not a bad one.

So if you see them at a festival, in a pub, club, bottle. They are worth trying.

Though I should add, I am not an expert and folk have their favorite beers etc.

I was working for one club,

then two,

back to one,

now back at two (though requested, pestered till I gave in)

Worked out recently I am spending over £50,000 a year, of other peoples money on beer, for both theese clubs.

Yet never have the same beer on at the same time in either club.

The 2nd club I work for is so private it is invite only.

For those unemployed - I suggest there is loads of work in the bar trade / breweries etc - better than benefits etc.

That is north and south of Uk - yes unsociable hours - but enjoyable.

Every pub,( be warned drinkers) will put its prices UP next year - due to living wage.

Rightly so. bar staff work hard for there wage. As do many workers.

I am all for the living wage.

• 2 weeks later...

last time i past through belgium i randomly grabbed a few cheap cans of 'Jupiler pils lager' from a shop and it turned out to be one of the best lagers ive ever had(to my tastes)

p.s. when I'm in germany(and i think belgiums the same) it always surprises me to see that pretty much every shop, take away, etc.. sells beer(and usually a decent range of..) anywhere that has a drinks fridge always has beer alongside the usual cans of pop and other soft drinks.

I don't think its the " naysayers" that would be the problem, it would more likely be the idiots taking advantage of beer being so at hand and drinking more than is sensible and more often than they normally would, we just generally have a pretty irresponsible and immature attitude towards drinking in this country I think.

that said, I'm pretty sure I read an article recently saying they are trying to restrict the sale of alcohol more in Germany.

I don't think its the " naysayers" that would be the problem, it would more likely be the idiots taking advantage of beer being so at hand and drinking more than is sensible and more often than they normally would, we just generally have a pretty irresponsible and immature attitude towards drinking in this country I think.

that said, I'm pretty sure I read an article recently saying they are trying to restrict the sale of alcohol more in Germany.

Like I said, they certainly have a more relaxed and sensible attitude to drinking on the continent, and I'm not particularly advocating it should be as readily available in this country (I believe it's already available in as many places as it needs to be). I feel it would be used to demonise it further if it was everywhere, but everyone is responsible for their own actions imo.

• 1 month later...

Like I said, they certainly have a more relaxed and sensible attitude to drinking on the continent, and I'm not particularly advocating it should be as readily available in this country (I believe it's already available in as many places as it needs to be). I feel it would be used to demonise it further if it was everywhere, but everyone is responsible for their own actions imo.

The drinking culture is completely different in both Germany and Belgium. Folk over here seem to want to go out and get hammered. Whereas in other countries drinking is more of a social event. Where they respect the alcohol they are drinking.

Alcohol is far more readily available in this country than it ever was. For example, anybody with a personal licence (a one day course and exam, plus a criminal record check and application to local licencing authority) to sell alcohol can open a micro pub. These pubs are springing up all over the country. It is just a case of getting a shop, applying for a premises licence, as well as a personal licence to sell alcohol. These days the licencing authority has to have a dam good reason for turning you down for a premises licence. I am toying with the idea of doing it myself. I already have a personal licence to sell alcohol.

Autumn is in full swing over here. That means pumpkin everything. Therefore I had a pint of pumpkin ale yesterday. It wasn't very good but it was a site better than the chocolate peanut butter pumpkin stout my mate had. Disgusting. We quickly moved on to a more sane choice; Paulaner Oktoberfest.

I also tried the worst beer I've ever had a few weeks ago. A habanero IPA. it is brewed with habanero peppers. It was awful. It burned your mouth then your throat. The bar tender said that it would give us a warm smooth feeling. Utter tosh. Luckily I only had a sampler. I couldn't do a full pint.

Autumn is in full swing over here. That means pumpkin everything. Therefore I had a pint of pumpkin ale yesterday. It wasn't very good but it was a site better than the chocolate peanut butter pumpkin stout my mate had. Disgusting. We quickly moved on to a more sane choice; Paulaner Oktoberfest.

I also tried the worst beer I've ever had a few weeks ago. A habanero IPA. it is brewed with habanero peppers. It was awful. It burned your mouth then your throat. The bar tender said that it would give us a warm smooth feeling. Utter tosh. Luckily I only had a sampler. I couldn't do a full pint.

I don't mind a chilli beer or a chilli plum porter. but Pumpkin dosen't sound good to me. At the great British beer festival I had a few american beers, especially a nice hazelnut chocolate porter

Quite a fan of slightly ginger flavoured ale myself. Tasted a few different ones, one seems to be fairly common (available in bottles from a few supermarkets) - Blandford Flyer (or Fly, think they're the same thing).

Proper beer with just a hint of ginger, not ginger beer. That's clarified it.

• 2 weeks later...

Quite a fan of slightly ginger flavoured ale myself. Tasted a few different ones, one seems to be fairly common (available in bottles from a few supermarkets) - Blandford Flyer (or Fly, think they're the same thing).

Proper beer with just a hint of ginger, not ginger beer. That's clarified it.

I don't watch much TV.

Anybody know anything about a 'drama' called CUFFS?

Well they came into a club I often work at in Brighton (I help an old friend out) . I am either behind the bar or on the door, hate the latter, due to my passion for beer and breweries.

Apparently they have been before - but came again recently when I was on duty. I was asked to sign a disclaimer form about 'I may be seen on TV, do I mind' etc.

Weird imo.

Ironically, I did both duties that night. I started on the door. But a member of the bar staff went sick early on, and I covered the rest of the evening, till 4 am.

Hence being involved in the filming of this drama.

Earlier this year i was informed that my club had won the camra regional award of best club in the region. Which meant we became one of 16 best clubs in the country with regards real ale. We were content with that. Being a top 16 club from numerous clubs within the UK, was good in itself.

On Wednesday 26th 2015, in Manchester, a CLUB MIRROR EVENT took place to see who became best club of the year.

Shocked and stunned, the club I work for are in the final 4.

The result as a whole is known in about March time.

Those who follow me on twitter / Facebook would have seen the pictures etc.

I really am not fussed where we finish between 1 & 4 - we are chuffed to finish fourth.

I am now off work for 12 days - going to Belgium (on Monday) for 8 days, paid for by the half Moon brewery in Bruges.

I put this on here, as this is the real ale thread. Because my passion for ale, became a job - because i drunkenly said, "I would like to learn to work behind a bar" Which was taken up.

This has led me to other, related things, working at a brewery, trips, awards. I believe it is a growing industry worth getting into, from washing barrels at a brewery to bar work.

Also an industry that is willing to give folk, who have been unemployed for awhile, a chance to work.

• 4 months later...

On the 24th March 2016 the club I work for as an assistant head steward - Albatross Club - became CAMRA NATIONAL CLUB OF THE YEAR. 28,000 clubs were involved in this competition.

I have been having a party in Bruges and elsewhere since the result - (I will still go to Belgium, no matter who bombs the Country, even more so now). Not often you get credit / awards / praise at work. So nice to receive it when it comes.

Reason I put this on here is because, there has been one or two folk from this site - who have contacted me and visited my place of work, who I have met and shared a jar or two - or three + of real ale. Some were going to the match at Brighton. Others were on holiday in the Hastings / Eastbourne & Brighton area. Hope you visit again, we had a great time and laugh

To all those I would like to say thanks for your visit, comments, company etc - as well as your beer scores, which you shared with me (Camra members)

Thanks again. Hope to see you again soon.

Archived