BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Real Ale

Corporation Arms near Longridge have their annual beer festival this Fri, Sat and Sun.

Always a well-organised event with live music each evening.

Number 35 bus from Blackburn via Pleckgate and Ribchester. Buses back at 10pm and midnight

Beer list

http://www.corporationarms.com/beerFest.php

Do the buses have toilets on them?

• Replies 972
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I tried another of the Thwaites Crafty Dan range earlier this week. The superb Louder than 10. Quite hoppy with a bit of a kick. I don't usually go for strong beers, and a 6.5% it is strong, if you find it, give it a go. Highly recommended. And along with 13 Guns, in my opinion, better than Wainwright, Bomber etc etc.

• 10 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just drinking an ale from WA called Sleeping Giant IPA from Gage Roads Brewing. 5.4a/v no additives/no preservatives dry hopped and unfiltered.

Says that it's brewed by "fussy @#/?s".

An excellent drop, with a strong taste.

I actually know a couple of guys who used to work at Gage roads(I think) and now have their own set up in Manly called Four Pines Brewing, they do some wonderful stuff. For me their ESB and their Pale Ale are exceptional.

Is that because it involves spending time with lesser humans, Theno?

More like. :P

tbh

1. There were 50 odd beers.... way too many. If I had a pub and put on a beer festival I would restrict it to 4/5 guest beers at the most which I had had recommended and tasted and stillaged.

2. It was run by some company that does these events on imo a "never mind the quality feel the width" basis.

3. All the beers were tapped and poured by gravity so they were lifeless and as flat as a witches tit.

4. I tried 6 (halves) and they were all shyte. Ever heard the term 'Blackpool Bitter'? When breweries made a bad batch rather than chuck it down the drain (expensive) they shipped if off cheap to pubs in Blackpool on the basis that landlords would be looking for a good deal as the drinkers weren't proper locals and were on their holidays and would 'sup owt'. It would be served through pumps labelled with another beer's name therefore giving that beer a bad name too. At £10 for a number of beer tokens I've a feeling that's what was being served that day. In the end I went to the bar and bought San Miguel. It's never tasted as good.

As I say I'll not be rushing back to any of these do's.

More like. :P

tbh

1. There were 50 odd beers.... way too many. If I had a pub and put on a beer festival I would restrict it to 4/5 guest beers at the most which I had had recommended and tasted and stillaged.

2. It was run by some company that does these events on imo a "never mind the quality feel the width" basis.

3. All the beers were tapped and poured by gravity so they were lifeless and as flat as a witches tit.

4. I tried 6 and they were all shyte. Ever heard the term 'Blackpool Bitter'? When breweries made a bad batch rather than chuck it down the drain (expensive) they shipped if off cheap to pubs in Blackpool on the basis that landlords would be looking for a good deal as the drinkers weren't proper locals and were on their holidays and would 'sup owt'. It would be served through pumps labelled with another beer's name therefore giving that beer a bad name too. At £10 for a number of beer tokens I've a feeling that's what was being served that day. In the end I went to the bar and bought San Miguel. It's never tasted as good.

As I say I'll not be rushing back to any of these do's.

I'll agree with that Gord. Gravity tapped beer, no matter how good the brew is, is always flat. It needs to be pumped to give it life and a nice head otherwise you can chuck it away for me. That's why I will only drink canned beer with a widget or out of a bottle. Lager is a different kettle of fish.

I tell you Al (although as I say I've only been to the one and so this may be an unfair comment) these beer festivals have been hijacked and run by get rich quick types rather than by enthusiastic members of Camra.

• Backroom

Nothing tastes better than ale pumped on tap.

Bottled will do, though always a little fizzy. I'm amazed they don't use cube widgets in bottles to get that 'from the tap' feel.

I tell you Al (although as I say I've only been to the one and so this may be an unfair comment) these beer festivals have been hijacked and run by get rich quick types rather than by enthusiastic members of Camra.

There are plenty of Camra endorsed beer festivals round my way, all of them are horrendous.

I can't honestly see the appeal of CAMRA itself. There was one member in the Brunswick (Derby) who sipped one mouth full from a 1/2 pint of beer then tipped the rest into what can only be described as an NHS "sample" pot. He then ordered a new 1/2 and did the same. That's not enjoying the beer. I see from their website they only have 171065 Members. That is surprisingly low.

Me, I've just had a couple of Pints of the Derby Brewing Companies "Business as Usual" which is a top pint in the beer garden when the sun is out.

• 1 month later...

The 2nd Rishton Conservative Club beer festival last weekend was a big success. Very busy on Friday, packed on Saturday and still busy on Sunday. There was live music on Friday and Saturday. The range of ciders were very popular, all selling out by Sunday afternoon.

My favourite ales were:

Cumbrian Legendary Ales - Langdale

Cumbrian Legendary Ales - Loweswater Gold

Phoenix Brewery - Arizona

Reedley Hallows - Beer O'Clock

Rumour has it that the event is to be held twice a year from now on, with the second event taking place in September.

There are plenty of Camra endorsed beer festivals round my way, all of them are horrendous.

I can't honestly see the appeal of CAMRA itself. There was one member in the Brunswick (Derby) who sipped one mouth full from a 1/2 pint of beer then tipped the rest into what can only be described as an NHS "sample" pot. He then ordered a new 1/2 and did the same. That's not enjoying the beer. I see from their website they only have 171065 Members. That is surprisingly low.

Obviously that must be all the Polyveldt shoes in the country. Seems to me to be a necessary qualification for membership ..... That and bad hairstyles. Long hair with a receding hairline and bald spots seems to be a necessary membership requirement too.

The 2nd Rishton Conservative Club beer festival last weekend was a big success. Very busy on Friday, packed on Saturday and still busy on Sunday. There was live music on Friday and Saturday. The range of ciders were very popular, all selling out by Sunday afternoon.

My favourite ales were:

Cumbrian Legendary Ales - Langdale

Cumbrian Legendary Ales - Loweswater Gold

Phoenix Brewery - Arizona

Reedley Hallows - Beer O'Clock

Rumour has it that the event is to be held twice a year from now on, with the second event taking place in September.

All beers were on handpumps with lines directly from the cellar, not a temporary stillage made from 3 by 2 in a spare room.

Obviously that must be all the Polyveldt shoes in the country. Seems to me to be a necessary qualification for membership ..... That and bad hairstyles. Long hair with a receding hairline and bald spots seems to be a necessary membership requirement too.

• 1 month later...

Happened to be in Grants Bar, Manchester Road, Accrington on Sunday. Fantastic choice of beers all brewed right in front of you and ciders. Had a few pints of my fave, Dirty Blond, what a good drink. This really is a gem of a pub, decent crowd too.

Happened to be in Grants Bar, Manchester Road, Accrington on Sunday. Fantastic choice of beers all brewed right in front of you and ciders. Had a few pints of my fave, Dirty Blond, what a good drink. This really is a gem of a pub, decent crowd too.

I was there a few months back and wasn't overly impressed with their brew. I had a dirty blond as well as a Pals, I think. I tend to like my ale colder though, and a bit stronger so it may have been me. It's a nice place though.

I highly recommend Pi in Chorlton, Manchester. It used to be a shop so it's small. It does some excellent ales - non of their own mind, as well as pie and peas. It's a cracking joint that is well worth a visit.

Archived