BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Real Ale

The beer in JDW is ropey to say the least. Hate the places personally.

On real ale, enjoying a couple of bottles of Sam Adams Summer Ale tonight from Boston. Cracking stuff brought back from holiday last week.

Had a few bottles of Sammy's in the Top of the Hilton bar in San Diego a few years back. It's really nice beer if you can persuade the Yanks not to chill all the taste out of it.

• Replies 972
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Big changes afoot at Thwaites

They are ceasing brewing of all their mainstream beers in Blackburn and focusing on their micro-brewery Crafty Dan.

I understand that brewing of Wainwright, Bomber etc. will now be done by a third party.

Anymore news on this? This is truly bad news if true.

Probably not making enough money these days.

It's entirely their own fault. They prefer to close pubs down rather than charge a reasonable rent that the tenant can make a living profit on. I've seen what happens. A tenant takes over a run down pub and builds it up over a period of time until he is making a decent living. Thwaites up the rent until he's no longer making a living so he leaves and Thwaites shut the pub. Stupid but it keeps happening.

Probably not making enough money these days.It's entirely their own fault. They prefer to close pubs down rather than charge a reasonable rent that the tenant can make a living profit on. I've seen what happens. A tenant takes over a run down pub and builds it up over a period of time until he is making a decent living. Thwaites up the rent until he's no longer making a living so he leaves and Thwaites shut the pub. Stupid but it keeps happening.

Stupid indeed. I have to say, this practice is not limited to Thwaites. Enterprises Inns (and others) have the same policy.

Insane.

Probably not making enough money these days.

It's entirely their own fault. They prefer to close pubs down rather than charge a reasonable rent that the tenant can make a living profit on. I've seen what happens. A tenant takes over a run down pub and builds it up over a period of time until he is making a decent living. Thwaites up the rent until he's no longer making a living so he leaves and Thwaites shut the pub. Stupid but it keeps happening.

Bloody harsh that. Surely only partly! There isn't a pub on Whalley New Road between the town centre and Brownhill now, there isn't a pub on Preston New Road until Salmesbury nor is there one on any of the ranges and surrounding areas. No point keeping the rents down when the locals are all in the mosque or watching the Khabbadi World Cup on the telly is it?

Probably not making enough money these days.It's entirely their own fault. They prefer to close pubs down rather than charge a reasonable rent that the tenant can make a living profit on. I've seen what happens. A tenant takes over a run down pub and builds it up over a period of time until he is making a decent living. Thwaites up the rent until he's no longer making a living so he leaves and Thwaites shut the pub. Stupid but it keeps happening.

Yep. Thwaites are well known for screwing their tenants. 1st class sharks,

I must admit that 13 guns (by Crafty Dan) is a decent enough alternative to Wainwright, but more hoppy. Can't say I've tried owt else, mind.

13 Guns is a top beer.

Was up at The Black Bull pre match on Friday. Still as good as ever. Huge selection on the bar.

In fact, I wish I had stayed in the pub!

• 2 weeks later...

Never been to a beer festival before so a few of us popped into the Rugby Club after the Rovers. 50 odd different beers and every one I tasted was just sour brown tepid liquid! Some appeared to have had treacle added to make them palatable. Bloody awful experience tbh. I resorted to good old San Miguel in desperation. I have formulated a theory based on my single experience that every time some Brewery with a quirky made up name brews a bad batch they sell it in desperation to a company running beer festivals. Latter day outlets for what was known in my day as 'Blackpool Beer'. Avoid.

Anymore news on this? This is truly bad news if true.

Been away on hols till last week but checked yesterday and all the main beers are now brewed in Burton.

The craft beers are being brewed in Blackburn, so expect to see a few more one-offs with odd names popping up in local pubs.

Never been to a beer festival before so a few of us popped into the Rugby Club after the Rovers. 50 odd different beers and every one I tasted was just sour brown tepid liquid! Some appeared to have had treacle added to make them palatable. Bloody awful experience tbh. I resorted to good old San Miguel in desperation. I have formulated a theory based on my single experience that every time some Brewery with a quirky made up name brews a bad batch they sell it in desperation to a company running beer festivals. Latter day outlets for what was known in my day as 'Blackpool Beer'. Avoid.

Have to admit it wasn't my favourite beer festival. A fiver to get in was a bit steep, the ale worked out around £3.20 a pint and the temperature of the beers fluctuated from too warm to too cold (with some inevitably being OK)

If they decide to do it again next year perhaps they will learn from their mistakes.

You're a brave man. I'd stick to criticising Rhodes if I were you.

You're a brave man criticising real ale. I'd stick to criticising Rhodes if I were you.

Been away on hols till last week but checked yesterday and all the main beers are now brewed in Burton.

The craft beers are being brewed in Blackburn, so expect to see a few more one-offs with odd names popping up in local pubs.

So Wainwright etc, no longer actually brewed by Thwaites in Blackburn? Not good.

I have to say I do like a lot of the micro brewery and signature range. 13 Guns is a particular favourite. If you see it, try it. Highly recommended.

Tried 'Patriot' a couple of nights ago. Bowland Brewery, brewed especially for St. George's day. 4.0%.

Tasted like @#/?, like all real ales I have ever had.

• Backroom

I do keep trying the odd real ale but I'm with J*B they just aren't very nice to me, then again I hate coffee and the world seems to love it

I'll keep trying on occasion though something may tickle my fancy

• 2 weeks later...

Like in all things, there can be good beer festivals and bad ones. Some folk come up with the idea of hosting a beer festival, thinking there isn't much to it. Then fall flat on their faces. Often because they won't seek or accept advice.

Camra put on some good festivals - Great British beer festival is a good one, though I have heard that Peterborough is a good one. In your area, I have heard - though not been - Pendle do a good one also. Not sure how many festivals I went to last year - some were ok, some not so bad. I worked on a few as well.

Just because you have had a bad experience at one - don't let it put you off others.

I do like going to the Great British Beer Festival - going 3 times this year (though one of those is the trade day) 900 beers, plus ciders, bottled beers.

900??? More is not always better Pafell.

Nope. Actually they are kept well there, decent cooling system - worth a try.

Going to Belgium tomorrow for a few days - complete new beer experience for me.

Apart from a beer called Kasteel Donker 11% - only got two (24) crates left!!

Archived