BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Real Ale

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 972
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Camra members got sent a leaflet explaining their 'idea'.

Comments I am hearing from some camra members I know. Is they joined camra to promote and defend real ale. Not pubs or any other drink.

There will be a few meetings with camra members over the summer.

Some people might say that CAMRA's original aim has been achieved. Others might say that there are other roads to go down (e.g. defending traditional pubs, fighting the brewery tie), where do you stand on this?

I'm not a CAMRA member so I have no stake in this, I do enjoy my real ale/craft beer though.

• 2 weeks later...

Some people might say that CAMRA's original aim has been achieved. Others might say that there are other roads to go down (e.g. defending traditional pubs, fighting the brewery tie), where do you stand on this?

I'm not a CAMRA member so I have no stake in this, I do enjoy my real ale/craft beer though.

I have never liked pub ties. Yet respect the right of breweries to sell their own beer from their own pubs - I just wouldn't work for a tied house.

Yet people who take on these pubs, should know what they are getting into at the very beginning.

I would never work for companies such as Enterprise Inns.

One good thing CAMRA have done is kept bartenders on their toes. Camra members score beers when they go out drinking fro 0 to 5 (0 = undrinkable - 5 = outstanding)

They judge on various things. One being how the beer on looks (not cloudy, unless already stated, such as a unfined beer or some wheat beers) So if beer is kept in a bad condition, then that is going to and should reflect on the business - you drink elsewhere.

I have heard that judging in the north is slightly different than in the south - because of the use of the sprinkler on the end of the neck.

It isn't hard to look after beer, keep lines clean. I clean my lines after every cask.

It is also a legal requirement to do so. Sadly there are bad publicans who don't do things as they should.

I like beer from either a cask or keg. What I don't want is for cask beer to come to an end and kegs takeover. Keg beers though do cost a hell of lot more than most casks.

Therefore beer prices will be more for keg beers.

But there is room for both.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Spent the day in Lytham yesterday.

The Taps has been extended by building new toilets in the backyard and was excellent.

The Queens had the nerve to charge £3.60 for a pint of Fosters (is it an Enterprise venture?). I won't be going back.

Last to the Station Tavern, where the resident organist had the place full, and a short wait for the 14.35 train to Preston......

......except it broke down at Blackpool South. Most folk went back to the pub, it was the hottest day of the year......

......the 15.35 also broke down at Blackpool South! Most folk went back to the pub......

......a relief train was sent but everyone in the pub missed it because it was un scheduled......

......the 16.35 was cancelled. Most folk went back to the pub......

......the 17.35 arrived! Most folk went home plastered!

• 1 month later...

Bowland Brewery Bar opening in Holmes Mill, Greenacre Street, Clitheroe today. Only 42 pumps to go at!!!! :blink:

I saw that in the LT today.

These folk deserve support and I hope the bar does well.

I may ask the missus to go shopping in Clitheroe.....I will drive there, she can drive back

I went today as it opened. Workmen were still clearing their tools out as customers arrived. Met a guy who used to work in the mill when it was a mill. Showed us photos of what it looked like then. Very interesting place. Bar is supposed to be the longest in Britain.

I went today as it opened. Workmen were still clearing their tools out as customers arrived. Met a guy who used to work in the mill when it was a mill. Showed us photos of what it looked like then. Very interesting place. Bar is supposed to be the longest in Britain.

The upper floors of the mill are to be converted into a hotel. Should do well. Clitheroe is short of town centre accomodation and there are loads or events bringing people into the town eg punk weekender, food festival, mod weekender.

• Moderation Lead

I'm a big fan of Clitheroe for going for a drink, loads of good places to eat already, will check this new gaff out, but there plenty of existing watering holes as well!

Plus my sister lives there, so it saves on taxis! :tu:

Had a visit yesterday. Place was rammed, dogs, pushchairs, bikes, the lot. Fab atmosphere, full of chit chat like pubs used to be. Met the manager and the bloke who used to deliver the coal to the mill 40 years ago. Quality!

Going seriously off topic...... did part of my uni dissertation about the mill 30-odd years ago. Took quite a few photos, eg the steam engine was no longer used but looked in perfect nick, and loads of the traditional (pre war) looms. Must have a look sometime if I've still got copies.

• 2 months later...

Archived