BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] 3DTV

im looking for a 42 inch hd 3dtv, i've been looking around for any good deals on offer, im not really interested in ordering it, need to buy as soon as poss as my tv is now knackered, anyone know of anywhere around the blackburn/accrington area that might do some good deals? is 3dtv really worth it? if you dont want to watch it in 3d can you watch the tv 'normally' without using the glasses?

yes i know, wrong section, was looking in the technology corner, must have clicked on football by mistake

well roverand out first of if you are planning to get one to watch football I wouldn't bother as we have now lost our prem lge status Rovers are highly unlikely to feature in 3D. I would say at the moment 3D is not worth it as there is only one channel that transmits in 3D and that is sky 3D so a fairly new concept. The final point is the biggest hurdle you can't watch things normally however you view it you need the glasses. I would suggest at the moment not worth getting 3DTV only 1 channel in 3D the choices are very limited would be better to wait until more channels are broadcast in 3D and hopefully by that time we will have woken up from groundhog day we will have a proper manager and we will have retained our prem lge status and have better owners then it might be worth it until then I wouldn't bother. Although one thing I will say is 3DTV's are coming down in price so by the time these things happen you should be able to pick one up for a bargain and richer sounds usually have good deals on TV's.

thanks for the info, kean is a ######, anyhoo, i bought one today anyway, only problem is there was no battery included with the glasses i got with it, here it is

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/7470310/c_1/1%7Ccategory_root%7CHome+entertainment+and+sat+nav%7C14419512/c_2/2%7C14419512%7CTelevisions%7C14419667.htm

Don't post that often but just seen this.

I've been looking to buy a 42 inch 3d tv aswell, I found LG 42 inch for £529 is the best bet. It's led backlit so better contrast in colours, full 1080 hd, and passive 3d and you get 7 pairs of glasses free with it.

On my phone but will try n get a link to it for you.

http://www.argos.co.uk/m/static/Product/partNumber/5298501/c_1/1|category_root|Home+entertainment+and+sat+nav|14419512/c_2/2|14419512|Televisions|14419667/c_3/3|cat_14419667|LED+TVs|16180235.htm

not as good as mine :P

That would depend on whether you wanted Plasma, LED or LCD, plasma tv's dont have the life span of the others and have the highest power usage, also get quite hot and are not the best for gaming.

In all honesty my mate spent over a grand on a all singing and dancing 3D tv, I havent seen him play anything in 3D yet as he said there isnt much out yet, the blu ray quality is very sharp but not that noticable to a tv half the price.

Bought one the other week too.

Sony 37" LED, 3D FULL HD, SMART TV. Bought 2 pairs of glasses and got 2 pair free - £612. Was available cheaper online, but prfer to get it from somewhere like Currys so I can go back in if I have any problems.

I did alot of research into the brands. I was told that Sony & Panasonic are the best, especially if you want good sound.

well i wasnt fussed about lcd, plasma etc, i was told though that plasma had the best picure quality, well as it happens i cant use my 3d glasses until i get a hd box whiich virgin are sending to me, tivo, it will be an extra £5 a month and they said i didnt have to pay the £50 installation charge.

• 6 months later...

of course you can watch normal tv on a 3D tv, there is an option to do that, where you can switch. It would pointless if you couldnt, as there are not many channels doing 3D. Also, would you want to sit the entire time with glasses on? so is 3D tv worth it? Imho, i dont think at this stage it is. I spent about half an hour with glasses on, and after i was done i decided that it was just too much of a headache. i prefer just watching normal bluray stuff, as it is much better.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I bought a 3DTV in the January sales last year. Sky 3D costs a fortune (purchase every single channel package and then shell out extra for 3D) and there is hardly ever anything else on TV in 3D (eurosport had the olympics iirc). However Call of Duty Black Ops 2 is good fun in 3D and I have heard that Avatar is worth a watch. I find it frustrating that you don't commonly get images coming out of the screen; the effect is more often that there is a depth to the image that seems to stretch out behind the TV.

I wouldn't recommend 3DTV based on the current output of 3D content. However most 3DTVs are a good job without the 3D, being top of the range. And the games are good fun :)

There was an article about this before Christmas on the BBC. They reckon the medium of 3D is dying. Film makers have little interest in making 3D films because it adds nothing to narrative and the audience 'forget' that they are watching 3D once the novelty has worn off.

Here's the article: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-20808920

Makes sense to me. I was impressed by 3D for the first 10 minutes then I just kind of forgot it was there. I can't imagine any film that would be improved by the addition of 3D. I would like to try the games but again, I imagine it would wear off?

I would agree to a certain extent LeChuck. Clearly the first time you see a 3D film it is very impressive; I came out of Avatar thinking it was one of the best movies I had ever seen. No film since has matched that although I do get the impression that I am drawn into the film I am watching more if it is in 3D. This could be me fooling myself of course...

Sadly the games industry hasn't exactly rushed to make content in 3D. I would have thought it would be easier for the big software companies to implement than movie studios but there are only a handful of 3D games. I think it adds a lot to Black Ops and would love to try a racing game or a good old style shoot-em-up in 3D.

I wouldn't be surprised if 3D disappears again, maybe to be replaced in a couple of decades with hologram TV?

I wish...

agree with most comments on here. Had mine approx a year and have a ps3 for 3d films plus a lovefilm subscription and if I'm being honest I cannot remember the last film I rented that was 3d and there's loads of them on there. I'd just rather watch a standard bluray and enjoy the film as it is without the gimmicks. Played uncharted 3 with the 3d which was fairly entertaining but just gave depth.

This is exactly what I said in my earlier comment. 3D tv has been out for a while, but every single person I have spoken to, said that they have hardly used the 3D functionality. Standard bluray movies are still the way to go, and with a decent tv, then you will still enjoy high quality picture and sound, without the need for these gimmicks

Speaking with some authority on the subject 3d is on it's way out. Always was a fad in the past, given more staying power this time with polarised images and digital technology, but it's interest will wain. Purpose built 3d can be good (Avatar, Hugo) but retro fitted (Clash of the Titans) is awful. Throw your TV in the bin

The one thing AS, is that animations appear the way to watch 3D and feel impressed by it. I was watching Despicable me, and I thought it was good in 3D. However, then I watched Clash of the Titans, and it just didn't play well with 3D. Whether that is down to the producers etc, I'm not so sure.

Given that there were no 3D models at the recent CES show in the US it is safe to assume that 3D is dead in the water. It's a shame that producers/directors did not try to exploit the new technology (with the notable exception of James Cameron). Good thing that my telly is good without the 3D, just a shame the glasses were so bloody expensive!

It was bound for failure, before it was even released Hypnotic. Back then, people said it would be a gimmick. While they were excited, the initial roll out was to low key, with just too little to show for it. Imo, 3D was introduced far too early and in haste

yep! I said the same things until I saw a good deal on a TV and got all excited lol.

I still think it looks class and is fun - the fact that you have to wear glasses doesn't bother me at all (Except I got active 3D so they are expensive) but then I wear glasses anyway. I think if it was supported properly it would have been a lot more prevalent now - it would have been easy to build on the success of Avatar with some cheap deals and more quality releases.

Sadly the price and dearth of good content put people off. Interestingly I read an article online that said that market penetration for 3D TVs is as high as 20% which is not as low as I would have thought - maybe there is a future yet?

Archived